minermark

I think I would have to rate these as some of the classic drum solos;

John Bonham

Neil Peart

Carl Palmer

Keith Moon for blowing up his drums

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

Running Godsmack ...again, it seems to have the "Energy" im looking for, and my system seems to like it.

I need a concert, it's been a couple years, Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs would do it.

Try Social Distortion, they should be around your way about now. Saw them in October with my kids in the 1st row, kids got a guitar pick from him and a drum stick. Awesome concert, nice small venue, we were about 6 feet from him. I've seen about 500 concerts in my life, and have to say this was one of the best for raw music and energy. 

The problem with total badass drummers is that when they get a chance for a solo, they do stuff that only other badass drummers would appreciate. :) Joey Jordinson for example. What they like to do is to show off "polyrhythm" skills that lets them play multiple different beats at the same time. Personally, I hate it, it usually sounds like noise to me. I like stuff like the Godsmack that I posted but typically the more elite the drummer the more jacked up it sounds when you give him a chance to show off. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I confess, I am a strange creature; I am a trained drummer who doesn't really like drum solos.  The ones I like are NOT the ones where guys are mindlessly ramming notes without any semblance of musicality or technique.  I like guys who play musically, can play accents and who are interesting, changing rhythm, tempo, dynamics, and who can get different textures out of their equipment, such as playing on the middle of a cymbal, and playing on the bell. 

All of the above solo guys play either all singles (1 beat to a hand) or tupplets (2 to a hand), but I doubt that any of those guys (except Steve Gadd) even knows what a Swiss Army Triplet is (3 to a hand).

Any of the Guitar Center Drum-off winners have their drums mic'd and recorded with modern equipment, so this is going to play through our gear as good as it gets.  I don't like drum solo's per se, but I really enjoy the originality of the 2012 Drum-off winner.

Edited by wvu80

Running Godsmack ...again, it seems to have the "Energy" im looking for, and my system seems to like it.

Try Social Distortion, they should be around your way about now. Saw them in October with my kids in the 1st row, kids got a guitar pick from him and a drum stick. Awesome concert, nice small venue, we were about 6 feet from him. I've seen about 500 concerts in my life, and have to say this was one of the best for raw music and energy. 

Good call, im really in the concert mood lately.

And im one of those nuts that is always 10 rows from front, whatever it cost, it's worth it. :emotion-19::emotion-21:

• Like 1

And im one of those nuts that is always 10 rows from front, whatever it cost, it's worth it. :emotion-19::emotion-21:

me too.  just mentioned to a co-worker $300 for a Heart concert -- he said $300 how many tickets do you need?  I said “one…you don’t expect me to sit with the common folk do you.”  Recently was in row five for YES -- fantastic show.

Edited by BigStewMan