Heritage and Atmos design considerations

mustang guy

I still have a few KPT-200's left myself. Problem is my ceilings in the shop are too high to use them for that, plus they are not hard surfaces, and they are vaulted. I have 2 pairs of Heresy's I will likely hang up in the rafters, but my situation isn't the typical one, as you know.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Hope it's ok to post on this old thread vs starting a new thread: Atmos speakers to match Heritage line: what kind and where to place them. Suggestions for decoders or processors also welcome.

Thinking about updating system electronics and adding speakers.

Seeking suggestions for Atmos (or presence) speakers for Heritage setup: Klipschhorns up front, Belle center and LaScala rears. 14 x 27' room. Couch is about 8 feet from front of room. Can easily add Heresy Is at the sides for 7.1. Can even use them for Atmos (I have 6 H Is in good shape and ready to be used in new house). Multiple amps - so not an issue.

Old Outlaw Audio 990, using Toslink audio inputs (pre HDMI) and 4K HDMI for 2021 large TV. Audio output as 5.1, splitting the .1 into 2 large non horn loaded pro audio type subs. Also have an extra Onkyo TS XR805, that can handle older HDMI standard to 7.1. Both of these work nicely in my room - if not for Atmos, I would not be thinking about upgrading. I do not want to break the bank upgrading either.

Given my 1890s vintage house and room, I do not see in ceiling mounting as an option, though that should be discussed for other members willing to do this. Khorns are in front corners, so nothing can be placed behind them. Some newer AVRs, eg Denon 3700, 3800, or 4800 series or Extron SSP 200 can decode Atmos and DTS:X into multi speaker environments and allow up to 2 sub ports and 2 to 4 Atmos speaks (I think).

Comments welcome, thank you. From NOLA with love.

I’m using AW-650s as Atmos with 5 Heresys as my bed layer and they work great.  They may be outdone by by your setup, though.

My receiver is a Sony STR-ZA2100ES.  Sounds fantastic for both music and movies.

Fyi, a 5.x channel setup uses side surrounds.  7.x adds rears.

• Like 1

Wuzzer:

Thank you for the reply :)

I will presume that the "voicing" or matching of timbre for the heritage speakers using existing components is going to be difficult. My only option would be to build a stand to place over the khorns and aim the 40 lb Heresy Is, likely on their sides, towards the couch. Not readily practicable and would be a bit of an eye sore as well. Glad the smaller Klipsch speakers work in your Heresy set up. I wonder how the KL audio engineers approach this? I have a few cheap smaller speakers to experiment with. Also wonder where optimal placement would be for 2 or 4 ATMOS / presence (Yamaha AVR) speakers?