what is the real difference between rf-82 vs r-28f? Hekp

dks5276

I see best buy has r-28f which seem to me to resemble the rf-82 series 1, im asking to compare these to series ones not rf-82ii...recently best buy had the r-f28 on sale for 225 each, good deal? Im wanting to run thses as my rears to go along with my rf-83 in front and rc-64

R-28f speakers are similar to the old Icon line sold at BB but with copper cones.

I don't think they would be a good match for your true reference speakers.

Forum members have given Klipsch considerable flack for the confusion that it has caused.

Edited by FuzzyDog

I agree, looks like a scam to me. They look like the k28? Whatever is the icon or synergy with colored speaker.They have aluminum instead of titanium etc....it makes a diff, alum has more ear fatigue and screech to my ear. I could have had em for $428 delivered to my door but after rf82s for 600 to door it didn't sound so good....but neither did the 82s, sold em here for 600.

Real difference? The "reference" RF-28 has aluminum tweeters / compression drivers and cheaper crossovers, making it sound harsher.

"Reference II" has titanium tweeters and a better crossover, sounds much smoother. Plus the entire assembly is heavier.

Woofers are also a different material but the blaring difference is in the highs.

I see best buy has r-28f which seem to me to resemble the rf-82 series 1, im asking to compare these to series ones not rf-82ii...recently best buy had the r-f28 on sale for 225 each, good deal? Im wanting to run thses as my rears to go along with my rf-83 in front and rc-64

Funnily enough I just saw a CL add that was confusing the two last night.  They're totally different speakers with totally different specs that sound totally different.  The 82 is clearly the superior speak.

We could call them XXX if we wanted to. Klipsch fully believes they are worthy of the name given. I can't give away the secret sauce, but I can assure you the drivers, and tweeters in the "new" Reference are not "cheap". This place is getting like the old west, the new speakers in town get all kinds of strange looks. New things are often added to the menu, try it before you decide it isn't for you.

This place is getting like the old west, the new speakers in town get all kinds of strange looks. New things are often added to the menu, try it before you decide it isn't for you.

I think the biggest pet peeve - it certainly is mine - is they are not Reference speakers.  It's led to so much confusion for many less educated about the Klipsch lines.  They aren't reference speakers...they're synergy or icon...doesn't matter what Klipsch did to them, a spade is a spade.  If they're made cheaper than what Reference was, then they don't deserve the status.  The name Synergy or Icon worked just fine for those lower lines.  My thought process anyway...

This place is getting like the old west, the new speakers in town get all kinds of strange looks. New things are often added to the menu, try it before you decide it isn't for you.

I think the biggest pet peeve - it certainly is mine - is they are not Reference speakers.  It's led to so much confusion for many less educated about the Klipsch lines.  They aren't reference speakers...they're synergy or icon...doesn't matter what Klipsch did to them, a spade is a spade.  If they're made cheaper than what Reference was, then they don't deserve the status.  The name Synergy or Icon worked just fine for those lower lines.  My thought process anyway...

I understand what you are saying.

What make a Reference speaker, Reference? Would anyone feel differently if we called Ref.II Synergy Platinum, and there was NO Reference badge? 

In time the muddy water will become clear again.

What makes a Reference Speaker a Reference Speaker is the standard the Klipsch has held to the Reference line over the previous 15 years - the beginning of which PWK himself was involved in.  Does anyone in Klipsch feel that these new "Reference" speakers can even hold their own against what Reference II is, or the Reference line in general has been over those last 15 years?  I'm not calling them a bad speaker, I am calling them below what the Reference line benchmark has been - and any change to that standard is understandably going to have some pushback.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The guys at AUDIO, a German magazine reviewed the RF 82 II back in 2012 and gave them 84 points, which is verygood. Recently in August 2014 they reviewed the new R-28F and gave them 84 points as well. I have ordered a copy of their test to get the details. In any case R-28 seems to be doing very well indeed, possibly just as well as the 82 II did......

Someone should put the two next to each other and compare.......

One last thing: Over here the R-28 sell at 699 € / pair, the 82 II sell at 898 € / pair. 

I agree, looks like a scam to me. They look like the k28? Whatever is the icon or synergy with colored speaker.They have aluminum instead of titanium etc....it makes a diff, alum has more ear fatigue and screech to my ear. I could have had em for $428 delivered to my door but after rf82s for 600 to door it didn't sound so good....but neither did the 82s, sold em here for 600.

I have not heard the R-28 but don't blame the diaphragm material it is not the source of the problem,. When it comes to diaphragm materials hardened aluminum alloys are about the very best compromise that there is and are only betters in bandwidth to first break up mode by Beryllium which is insanely expensive. Aluminum is superior to titanium in smooth undistorted response and by a wide margin. The reason why titanium is so popular (especially in pro drivers)is that it does not work harden as Aluminum does. What this means is that if you over drive a diaphragm hard enough to force the diaphragm to hit the phase plug the aluminum will either shatter or will break some short time later. Titanium will not harden after such an impact and it stays pliable. So in pro situations titanium while not as good in terms of response and sound does not require that it be changes out every time the sound guy makes a mistake.

So if you prefer one speaker over the other it is simply that the one you like has a better designed horn/driver it's not the fault of the aluminum diaphragm unless of course the aluminum diaphragm was very badly specified for the job. When JBL made the switched from Aluminum to titanium many decades ago there was a cry from those who hated the sound of the new ti diaphragms. Well JBL worked on the diaphragms and driver designs to improve them some and the savings in time and money did the rest. Many audiophiles still prefer the aluminum skins in the JBL drivers and they are still available both from JBL in some models and in the after market. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Fish: I don't want you to see my comment as an attack against what you said. I simply don't want people to draw the wrong conclusions about aluminum diaphragms. If I could get quality aluminum alloy diaphragms for my Klipsch I would be on them. If I could get aluminum replacement diaphragms for my EV DH1A I would do that too. But the titanium diaphragms we have are good ones and far better than the phenolid that they have replaced so all in all a big step up.

At a guess normally I would suspect cheap poor quality drivers as the culprit. Klipsch is trying to boost their profit margin and cheaper parts are the order of the day and consistent quality control is very expensive. So knowing that Klipsch have no shortage of design skill I think it would be reasonable to look to the build quality of the driver and its parts. When it comes to magazine reviews well it is advertizing that pays the bills so readers need to keep a bag of salt near by when reading glowing reviews. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

Someone should put the two next to each other and compare.......

I haven't put them formally side by side, but I had a friend who was just so proud that he bought a pair of R-28F's not very long ago.  He called me over to his place, had just gotten a pair with a new Pioneer amp.  It sounded god awful to me...after doing some fair amount of EQing it sounded a bit better to actually okay for the money.  However, it was certainly no reference II speaker and it showed.  It just sounded muddy in comparison, the lows seemed to lack, and god forbid you play any music on them that has any kind of running bass-line...ugh.  Might have been just that setup, but it was not what I was expecting with the Klipsch logo on it, I've even heard the first and second generation of Synergy speakers sounding better.

I own the Ref II speakers and the I con V.  Both are good speakers but, there is a sound difference.  The I con V sounds thinner and does not do as well at higher spl.  I don't listen that loud with the I con V speakers.  I think each type has their place in the consumer market.  If I thought the I con V was terrible, I would have got rid of them when I sold off the VF 36, VS 14, VC 25 and VB 15's.  The Icon V system made for a nice HT and music system.  Just one guys opinion. :)

I see them kinda like a watch, one has better part but, both will keep the time.  It all comes down to personal choice.

• Like 1

I personally own both ICON and Reference. My Reference sound better musically, and the ICON are nice with movies. 

From what I was told by Klipsch, the R-28F is just the KF-28 in a different cabinet. I have moved the 28's around a lot, and they do sound better as I am playing with them, but again they seem a better fit for movies and the RF's music IMO. 

What I have noticed on here is with everyone giving their opinion's, it should come down to the person who's purchasing to make the call on what they like, not what other's deem good and bad. I have asked for numerous opinions, but make my decision based on my ears.And even if the ICON,SYNERGY, or R-SERIES-REFERENCE aren't "real" Reference speakers per say, they are still better than most others in the Best Buy big box stores.

My ears personally have listened to the KSB line since 1997, so when I do listen to my RF's they still seem to get a little bright at times. The ICON's seem to be somewhere in the middle for me.

I have said several times though, that I do want to get rid of my ICON's due to the playing around with them. I do not know if I will be happy though if I do get rid of them for the room they are in, as my RF's don't sound the same way they do in my living room. Even with the same receiver moved into the same room with them to test them out. I can say though that with the ti tweeters they can be a little overbearing at times,and they do sound better in one room over the other room.

Fish: I don't want you to see my comment as an attack against what you said. I simply don't want people to draw the wrong conclusions about aluminum diaphragms.

No issue M, I admit I'm mostly a listener not a technician. I have however set  Klipsch with an aluminum di in the same spot as a ref speaker of similar size, same volume(loud), same test. The results were at about a foot away the aluminum tweeter was very uncomfortable to listen to. The Titanium tweeter was relatively smooth and did not offend my ears. I found the aluminum fine at lower volume, but I like to turn it up occasionally.

I did have to edit for a ? What about soft dome on Klipsch, bad, terrible ? If I could pick any substance to hear it would be ceramic/alum oxide or composite looks very interesting. Of course Beryllium is the gold standard we all wish was plentiful and cheap, lol.

Edited by Fish