Any transmission guys here ?

joessportster

Sounds like the converter lock up which always occurs at about 43 MPH. If your around that speed it will continually go in and out driving you nuts. There is a small filter and valve that controls it but you have to pull the pan. Some people plug it and keep it from locking up ever again. 

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK
  • Like 1

Do you really want to manually shift a 6 speed? I know I don't.

Have had a couple automatics in the past.  Now the wife will not even hear of having one.  Prefer the manuals.

If you have more gears then you feel like shifting, try skipping the gears.  4th to 6th, or 3rd to 5th.  Whatever feels good at the time.  I've done this for some time with no ill effect noted.  Do this in both my rice burner and small pu.  Both in town and on freeway. 

I do it all the time and love it.

My car is a 6 speed manual and so is my oldest daughters.  She'll never drive an automatic and I absolutely live mine.  Different strokes I guess.

Just remembered that my jeep is a 3 speed, but has overdrive for each forward gear and reverse.  Used to get a kick out of grabbing another gear in the gravel or mud while in reverse.  Damn overdrive is the weak link though.  Lifted the front wheels in 1st and 2nd, but when I tried for 2nd and over it went bang.  No more overdrive.   :unsure2:     No more banging overdrive.   But I refuse to grow up!

• Like 1

I agree.  I have always been disappointed in non manual transmissions.  True manuals are a dying breed however.

I am still speechless that Porsche is not making any true manual gearboxes anymore. I want to DRIVE my own car, not flip a paddle and have a computer do it for me. I have a Subaru Impreza 2.5i (non-turbo) with a manual and there is nothing more fun than blasting around on dirt roads and downshifting into corners while drifting sideways.

• Like 1

With all these manual shifters its surprising that a manual transmission is NOT as valuable on resale as compared to same car with automatic. (one exception would be some jeep type vehicles I suspect)

It may have something to do with the fact that they're cheaper to purchase new than their automatic counterparts.  At least the last 2 I bought were.

It has way more to do with the dwindling population who know how to drive them and therefore a smaller (much) market to purchase them used.  I have been shopping frequently the last couple of years and most used dealers tell you flat out they won't stock a manual unless its a special order with money down.  They say it is so much more difficult to move a manual transmission.  Ironically enough there is one guy I have dealt with who mainly stocks automatics, but when he stocks a manual it sells at lightning speed.  Maybe he would stock more but there just aren't as many out there anymore.  You have much better luck finding a by owner seller if you want a manual.

One conception is that people with manual transmissions drive their car HARDER than folks with an automatic, therefore hurting the value of the car. I don't know about that one.

You are wise to be skeptical.  To me, the way an automatic performs is harder on an engine due to more lugging and rpms that never get high enough compared to a well driven manual transmission paired engine.  The human brain with just a little practice is far` superior to an auto trans when it comes to proper gear selection.

• Like 1

The human brain with just a little practice is far` superior to an auto trans when it comes to proper gear selection.

the brain alone… perhaps.  That same brain inside a human … highly doubtful. Doubt me … watch CSPAN and within a few minutes you’ll agree.

Edited by BigStewMan

I know you said this is all fixed and all. Connections are very important for automatic transmissions. If the tranny is slipping and gear hunting, then it's probably not locking up. I assume you checked the tranny fluid level while the car was warmed up, running and in park. Low fluid can do it. Another thing that can cause problems is a clogged up tranny filter and old fluid. They get gunked up with clutch sludge. The fix to that is a flush and a filter change. The pan needs removed to replace the filter. You can do a flush yourself. Unhook the out line to the tranny cooler, and run the engine to pump out the dirty stuff. At the same time, somebody is pouring new fluid into the dipstick inlet. Once it runs clean, shut off the motor and reconnect the cooler line. Check your levels, and you are done.

One conception is that people with manual transmissions drive their car HARDER than folks with an automatic, therefore hurting the value of the car. I don't know about that one.

You are wise to be skeptical.  To me, the way an automatic performs is harder on an engine due to more lugging and rpms that never get high enough compared to a well driven manual transmission paired engine.  The human brain with just a little practice is far` superior to an auto trans when it comes to proper gear selection.

Not to mention the grin you get on your face when you nail a downshift on an off ramp or into a back road corner. With manual its more than just choosing the gears, its the experience of feeling the rpm's in the shift knob and knowing every spectrum of the engine's power band and the muscle memory of all the shift points. You eventually get to where your car in an extension of your body and thats something I believe you can never get with automatic or flappy paddle gear boxes. There have been a number of times where I avoided a serious wreck by being able to downshift in an instant and control the vehicle instead of just mashing the brakes and hoping for the best.

• Like 2