Which Music player do you use for digital ? and why ?

joessportster

Personally started with WMP and Liked it that is until I had issues with tagging and for some reason it started screwing with my files. It would separate track 1 and call it unknown which remains today  :angry:

Next was Itunes, issue here is apple always feels the need to change crap up and the only artwork you can add is if they actually sell the Lp. also they separate various artist  lp into a different lp for each song :angry:

Now with J-River I am having to modify all the music that WMP separated as unknown but J-river made that task pretty easy, it also makes it easy to keep my hard drive on the laptop clean as I simply play directly off my external.............Not sure but SQ seems better with J-River also. downside to river is the cost 50.00, They do offer a free trial. also seems to have a much better art work selection, I have found art work for some pretty obscure lp.

Wondering what some of you use as your music player

Happy Holidays and God Bless :rolleyes:

I use MyBook Live ext. hard drive/wirless device.  It stores file and no changes.  Same art work that is in WMP.  This way all have to do is cut the TV/BDP on and Bingo!  I own about 10 cd's have have not use any in the past few years.  I am all digital at this point.

Edited by derrickdj1

I change FLAC to mp3's, 256/320 for use in the car.  They sound just as good on home the system as the FLAC.  I keep a copy also on the laptop.  FLAC takes up to much room.  The same FLAC file is 10x larger on average.  Flac files are kept on the MyBook Live due to the size.

never heard of that one Derrick, will have to look it up,  I am currently 100 percent digital as well,  which DAC do you use

Schu, I am not currently a fan of wireless all the media I have heard to date seems to suffer SQ.............add to that drop outs and I have to wait on some improvements 

• Like 1

I've been using Jriver for about 6 months now and love it. I used a repurposed desktop that I updated from dual to quad core AMD, upped it to 8gb of memory, upgraded video card with hdmi, and have two 2tb drives with RAID 1 for all music and video files that's currently 1100 CDs ripped as lossless FLAC files and also 80 DVDs using MakeMKV. Works like a champ. I re-ripped all of my CDs in and what was already there for itunes files in a 320 or less format, just moved them from my laptop to the desktop over wireless. Wasn't too bad. Also using the coax digital out from the motherboard to a Fiio DAC to my Carver C-1 preamp.

Edited by avguytx

I change FLAC to mp3's, 256/320 for use in the car.  They sound just as good on home the system as the FLAC.  I keep a copy also on the laptop.  FLAC takes up to much room.  The same FLAC file is 10x larger on average.  Flac files are kept on the MyBook Live due to the size.

FLAC may be my next move, I have a 2TB drive with 200gb space left all my files are currently lossless WAV, and AIFF

I've been using Jriver for about 6 months now and love it. I used a repurposed desktop that I updated from dual to quad core AMD, upped it to 8gb of memory, upgraded video card with hdmi, and have two 2tb drives with RAID 1 for all music and video files that's currently 1100 CDs ripped as lossless FLAC files and also 80 DVDs using MakeMKV. Works like a champ. I re-ripped all of my CDs in and what was already there for itunes files in a 320 or less format, just moved them from my laptop to the desktop over wireless. Wasn't too bad. Also using the coax digital out from the motherboard to a Fiio DAC to my Carver C-1 preamp.

I want to set up a raid or nas in the future for now i manually backed up my HD, I build externals using the WD red's and manually back up the important files I am actually copying the last 400GB as I type this it will take 8+ hours but that will make 3 copies of all my music and pics works out to be around 750ish GB of music and another 30 or so GB of pics something like 24000 music files to date

Schu, I am not currently a fan of wireless all the media I have heard to date seems to suffer SQ.............add to that drop outs and I have to wait on some improvements 

I am sure I will be using higher end USB connection or IIS (I2S)

as of today, i store all of my music on a DIY homebrew NAS called unRAID. on that server I have an application called subsonic which enables me to play music on phone and computer when I'm not on the home network - transcodes everything to mp3 on the fly in order to save bandwidth.

at home I am using a raspberry pi b+ running Archphile. It's a very minimalistic package, but connects directly to my NAS (wirelessly!) with network shares and plays back bit perfect to my usb dac through a modified version of MPD. it also includes a module to enable Airplay streaming from my iOS devices.

i use an app called "beets" for importing my music. it queries the musicbrainz database and cleans up all of the tags, maintains a database of my entire library, and renames the files/embeds artwork/etc.

I hate linux, and yet all of my media infrastructure now runs on linux variants. go figure.

(i also just setup another raspberry pi to run all of the original Neo Geo games and a handful of classic arcade favorites in my slow progress Neo Geo "big red" cabinet restoration project.)

Thad,

Let me make sure I understand your post. I THINK YOU HAVE A FEW TYPOS.

as of today, you store all of my music on a DIY homebrew (beer?) NAS (did you mean NASA?) called unRAID (unpaid?). on that server I have an application called subsonic which enables me to play music on phone and computer when I'm not on the home network - transcodes everything to mp3 on the fly in order to save bandwidth.

at home I am using a raspberry pi b+ (second quality desert?) running Archphile (another name for the crapping pot thread?). It's a very minimalistic package, but connects directly to my NAS (navel?) (wirelessly!) with network shares and plays back (every?) bit perfect to my usb dac through a modified version of MPD (Memphis Police Department?). it also includes a module to enable Airplay streaming from my iOS devices.

i use an app (appetizer?) called "beets" for importing my music. it queries the musicbrainz database and cleans up all of the tags, maintains a database of my entire library, and renames the files/embeds artwork/etc.

THINK I GOT IT NOW!

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Next was Itunes, issue here is apple always feels the need to change crap up

Yep, biggest problem with iTunes

and the only artwork you can add is if they actually sell the Lp.

You can manually add art work by using google search and adding it in the "info" section of the album or song

also they separate various artist  lp into a different lp for each song

Mark an album with various artists as a "compilation" and the songs will be kept together in the same album.

I am using iTunes with a USB connection to a DAC and then on to my pre/pro and it works very well. Have over 22,000 songs on the hard drive but you can use an external drive as well. You just have to change the location of where iTunes looks for the files. Very easy to do. ITunes does an outstanding job in the sorting process; switching from artist, album or songs is instantaneous. Very smooth sorting process.

I also have a Dell using WMP with an external hard drive and iTunes is many, many times faster.

Edited by Frank1938

Im pretty plain Vanilla I guess.  What get me is that ITunes Random is not a truly random setting or there are some variables to it I don't know about. It seems to have its favorites and totally breeze over the other 2K songs.   I have ripped in ALAC and it sounds great, but not CD great. What are the benefits of JRiver and other players?

and the only artwork you can add is if they actually sell the Lp.

You can manually add art work by using google search and adding it in the "info" section of the album or song

Does not work in itunes 11, tried it many times there were tons of complaints on the net

Here you go, Joe:

Although iTunes has a feature for automatically fetching album artwork, there are likely going to be times that you’ll still want to add artwork manually to your tracks, especially for more obscure tracks that you’ve imported from your own collection. Unfortunately, with the redesign of iTunes 11, the long-established artwork pane in the bottom left corner disappeared, and with it one of the easier shortcuts for adding and removing album artwork. Fortunately, however, all is not lost, and you can still add artwork to multiple tracks through the track info dialog box. Simply select one or more tracks and choose Get Info from the iTunes File menu. If you’re working with a single track, you’ll need to switch to the “Artwork” tab, while with multiple tracks selected, an “Artwork” section will appear in the main Info tab. From here, you can drag and drop an image in from Finder or Windows Explorer, or paste an image in from the clipboard using CTRL+V (Windows) or CMD+V (Mac). As an added bonus, the clipboard options also work to copy artwork from other tracks; simply open the track info, highlight the artwork, and use CTRL+C/CMD+C to copy the selected image to the clipboard, after which you can easily paste it to one or more additional tracks using the method above.

Find the album art you want using google, right click on the image and click on copy image, go to the album or song in iTunes for which you need album art, right click on the album title or song title and select "info", select "album art" and paste the image there.

Frank

Edited by Frank1938