Which Music player do you use for digital ? and why ?

joessportster

I have tried several players and found J. River MC to be the best for my needs.  In particular, I love the idea of controlling my music server with the JRiver app for pads, or smart phones.  Gizmo, the free app, allows me to control my music from anywhere I can 'see' my wi-fi signal.  It just works and is so simple to use.

I was burned pretty bad by Jriver!  The trial version I installed a couple of years ago was set by default to replace all my album art automatically.  I didn't realize it for a while until I saw that it had wiped out some art and hadn't replaced it yet.   I wound up removing Jriver and restoring my backup of FLAC files.  It did seem to sound fine... much better than Media Player for sure!   It may have sounded as good as Foobar... I didn't give it anymore of a chance.

I now use Foobar which I believe does the best job of playing my files.  I finally created a layout that I am pretty happy with and can find what I am looking for easily.  I can play my .DSF files, my HDCD encoded disks, and see on the info I want on screen.

Even some of the creators of these players will tell you there isn't a different (better or worse) sound from different players but I will tell you that there are many variables that can make differences. When you get to the nitty gritty even the operating system matters.  To be fair, I am the only person I have heard complain about Jriver.  It is supposed to do a pretty nice conversion from .DSF but I'm not so sure I will give them a 2nd chance.

I don't because I am an analog troglodyte.

I'm with you Oldtimer, while I have downloaded most of my collection into Apple Lossless as a precaution, I still get my butt up off the couch & drop a cd into my player. At some point  I will buy a DAC & connect it to my Imac, but as of now I just don't see the need. Maybe I will be enlightened one day like Paul on the road to Damascus, but for now I am content.

• Like 1

I rip  my CDs via EAC (still riping :rolleyes: ) on my 1TB Toshiba external USB hard drive. Losless or FLAC. It goes directly into my Onkyo TX-8050 receiver which plays both formats (and many more) via USB input. 

I am listening usually through my Beyerdynamic headphones. The time will come eventually when I will set up home network. It will be easier to browse through the files then via receivers remote controler.

I was the same way until I finally took the time to learn  just enough about digital to give it a try. Since implementing a digital EQ (DEQ2496) into my system, I haven't looked back. Honestly, I don't even want to think about going without this thing. I compared my system with it and without it and it's literally night and day....literally. Listening to 320 kbps files sounds surprisingly very, very good compared to lossless. Uncompressed has the edge, but not by much....not much at all....at least on my system, my ears etc.

I used to use JRiver up until version 19. I got tired of it always locking up so I got rid of it. Spotify, Rdio and Tidal are where I live now. For the handful of recordings that I want to hear the best possible playback on my system I just spin those cd's on my Jolida JD100 cd player.

I was a vinyl die hard myself, but injury forced me to do things, with all the downtime I had and no system and no storage space for 1500+ CD's I decided to use the time ripping my collection 

I wish I had researched the whole deal more but as with everything it is a learning curve, and I am finally coming to a setup that I really like

Once I went digital and have the system set up. I can honestly say I dont miss vinyl anymore, My SQ is more than adequate with Headphones. as headphones are more revealing than open air I can see no issues once i get an open air system back up.

This digital has cured my obsession with TT setup and vinyl, there is no substitute for having 30,000 songs at you fingertips, or I could carry my external in my pocket to a friends house and share my entire collection

I know a good vinyl rig is still king for SQ but once left behind and the right digital components fall into place it is easy to live without it

SWL, Love the Jolida had a couple of those myself :D

Edited by joessportster

I was a vinyl die hard myself, but injury forced me to do things, with all the downtime I had and no system and no storage space for 1500+ CD's I decided to use the time ripping my collection 

I wish I had researched the whole deal more but as with everything it is a learning curve, and I am finally coming to a setup that I really like

Once I went digital and have the system set up. I can honestly say I dont miss vinyl anymore, My SQ is more than adequate with Headphones. as headphones are more revealing than open air I can see no issues once i get an open air system back up.

This digital has cured my obsession with TT setup and vinyl, there is no substitute for having 30,000 songs at you fingertips, or I could carry my external in my pocket to a friends house and share my entire collection

I know a good vinyl rig is still king for SQ but once left behind and the right digital components fall into place it is easy to live without it

SWL, Love the Jolida had a couple of those myself :D

Vinyl just has that sound I don't think any Dac can touch , but its a lot of work that's for sure

My humble opinion would be - it is a lot of money also.

However, in my current setup combo Receiver-HardDrive-Headphones sound a bit better to my ears than combo Turntable-Phono preamp-Klipsch RF42s. It is probably due to unegsisting room treatment and speaker placement that I cannot change. Better speakers would help.

I don't because I still do it the old way - I use my Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with Amperex 6922s in the player. Then I watch on forums like these to allow everyone else to sift through the stuff that doesn't work, while I consider what I could potentially use as a computer/file based setup in the meantime. Let everyone else experiment, then join the chorus once I have established that something could be worth the effort. It took tube buffered CD just to convince me that CDs could still be worth persuing, and yet not spend multiple thousands on a playback device.

I know a good vinyl rig is still king for SQ but once left behind and the right digital components fall into place it is easy to live without
I agree.....and I just add it to the list of compromises you have to make in this hobby.
  • Like 1

My humble opinion would be - it is a lot of money also.

However, in my current setup combo Receiver-HardDrive-Headphones sound a bit better to my ears than combo Turntable-Phono preamp-Klipsch RF42s. It is probably due to unegsisting room treatment and speaker placement that I cannot change. Better speakers would help.

Headphones (which is where I live), are more revealing and will allow you to hear more of the media, further into the recording. However they loose soundstage which will aid in killing the reality that you are there.....................my current setup

laptop using J-River with 30000 lossless files, centrance dacmini cx, Kenzie headphone amp, HiFiman HE500 headphones.  supremely revealing with great extension, thunderous in your head bass, I hear more detail than ever before.  And yet I miss the soundstage

I dont feel like headphones nor speakers are a replacement for the other, I believe they each have there strengths and for a balanced approach to music enjoyment (FOR ME) both are needed

• Like 1

My brother called me to rave about the "improved" sound quality afforded by the Pono/JRiver player that was installed on his PC by the Pono Music Store app.  I was somewhat skeptical about his excitement, but he was adamant that his existing Mp3 files, which were automatically imported by the Pono player, sounded better than they ever had sounded before.  He is now even more excited to receive the Pono player to see if it plays high resolution FLAC files still better than what he experienced after installing the Pono player.  I didn't challenge his perception, but told him I'm glad he's pleased and excited.

My perception of the sound quality using the Pono player was that is comparable to using Foobar. I'll soon be able to experience the Pono player with high resolution FLAC files.  The UPS tracking predicts that both Pono players are to be delivered by end of business tomorrow, 12/10/14.