Klipsch RF 82 ii with denon x2000 dissapointed

sreeram5mvn

First thing I'd do is turn Audessey off and see if it improves.  Even with my SR-7009 with Audessey XT32 it brightens things up significantly, which I don't particularly like.  

In case you missed it from the other thread, he has a mattress on the floor and placed the mic on the mattress in various positions during setup.

I have all 3 receiver's I named and as per warmness it's Marantz,Denon, and Yamaha. As for a fuller sound field with music,it's Yamaha,Denon,Marantz in my opinion. I've said Marantz focuses more on voice when listening to music and Yamaha focusing more on instruments with Denon in the middle.At least that's what I get from it.

I realize this is a subjective opinion but that is a pretty intricate detail field you have them divided especially when you consider all of the parameters that can be manipulated in the various AVRs, not to mention speakers being used (and different room acoustics).

That's why I stated "at least that's what I get from it". It is always going to be subjective isn't it? And I have actually used 2 of the 3 AVR's in both my living room and family room,with same speakers, and same parameters overall. My Yamaha was supposed to be for the living room, but was to large for the stand, so it's in my family room,and my Denon was supposed to be in the family room, but is in the living room as it fits in the stand I use. I've also used all 3 sets of speakers in my set ups as my KSB's were bought in 1998 and are still being used today. So they have been used with all of my receivers at one point or another. My RF's were also in both my family room and living room at one point and wound up staying in the living room to match up power wise with the receiver,and the Yamaha wound up powering the other speakers.

Had I not joined this forum,and received the help I have received,I most likely would have still been mixing and matching non timbre matching speakers.Between the help on here and calling Klispch, Yamaha, and Denon almost daily,I have learned a few things and am starting to enjoy what I have been learning. The biggest lesson has been everything is subjective to our own ears. I in no way also know what the 82's sound like as I don't have them nor have never heard them. I am going by what I do have.

Edited by Jim

I have not seen a warm avr mentioned ( to my ear) unless I missed it, HK is warm. The mic should be on a stand, boom etc....for correct reading. I do consider the rf82II too laid back for me and mated with a Denon ?? even more so. The Denons work best with lively speakers, more bigger horns the better. Just an opinion mind you, everyones different.

Edited by Fish

First thing I'd do is turn Audessey off and see if it improves.  Even with my SR-7009 with Audessey XT32 it brightens things up significantly, which I don't particularly like.  

Do that first. Next see if you can borrow the Yamaha you like, then go from there.

First thing I'd do is turn Audessey off and see if it improves. Even with my SR-7009 with Audessey XT32 it brightens things up significantly, which I don't particularly like.

Do that first. Next see if you can borrow the Yamaha you like, then go from there.

Right now i have reset the receiver and left it as is(skipped audessey) and it is sounding little bit better(like neutral not bright not warm) than before. I will try the suggested audessey setup once i get hold of the tri pod tommorrow and will see how it sounds.

Thanks for all the help you people are providing . Now my hope has bumped up in achieving the sound i desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I stated "at least that's what I get from it". It is always going to be subjective isn't it?

I agree completely. Sometimes when I see things broken down like you had it brought to mind that it's beneficial to let the new guys know. He mentioned his buddy's Yamaha was warmer than his Denon and I think something else is up with that as well.

First thing I'd do is turn Audessey off and see if it improves. Even with my SR-7009 with Audessey XT32 it brightens things up significantly, which I don't particularly like.

Right now i have reset the receiver and left it as is(skipped audessey) and it is sounding little bit better(like neutral not bright not warm) than before. I will try the suggested audessey setup once i get hold of the tri pod tommorrow and will see how it sounds.

Thanks for all the help you people are providing . Now my hope has bumped up in achieving the sound i desire.

I really hate to say it but if you are using stereo and you have a good caliber receiver and a reasonable room, you should not need or use Audyssey with the RF82s.  If you are trying sync distances, modify frequency responses due to locals in a room between a multi-channel setup or different speakers (large in front, small surrounds and non-fullrange center), then turn on Audyssey.

For stereo you should be in good shape from the get go with good speakers and good amplification.  A small amount of bass is typically all that is needed at moderate volumes with Klipsch.  

I have downsized in some sense to KLF-30s or my home built speakers run by a Pioneer SC-1222.  No real need for any FR help at all.  Running direct.

it's beneficial to let the new guys know. He mentioned his buddy's Yamaha was warmer than his Denon and I think something else is up with that as well.

I am also a newbie,and what I was saying as I have all 3 receivers, Denon, Marantz,and Yamaha and that in my opinion the Marantz is the warmest of the 3 and focuses more with voice recognition than Yamaha which I feel focuses more on music and therefore has a more brighter sound. One of the replies were that none of them were warm sounding as they are AVR's but every receiver is going to have a different sound.All 3 are SS, so there isn't going to be a tube like sound but there will be differences with brightness and warmth.

I also recommended he get a Yamaha if he liked the sound of his friends as it was in my opinion a warmer sound than the Denon,but not as warm as the Marantz.

I really hate to say it but if you are using stereo and you have a good caliber receiver and a reasonable room, you should not need or use Audyssey with the RF82s.  If you are trying sync distances, modify frequency responses due to locals in a room between a multi-channel setup or different speakers (large in front, small surrounds and non-fullrange center), then turn on Audyssey.

For stereo you should be in good shape from the get go with good speakers and good amplification.  A small amount of bass is typically all that is needed at moderate volumes with Klipsch.  

I have downsized in some sense to KLF-30s or my home built speakers run by a Pioneer SC-1222.  No real need for any FR help at all.  Running direct.

Yeah I am only into a 2.0 setup right now and will not be upgrading anytime soon. I am running them without Audessey right now and it sounds ok but not what i desired. Will try setting up the audessey with the tripod or mic boom and see if it improves. If it doesnt I will exchange the Denon for Yamaha or Marantz. I have asked my frnd to lend me his Yamaha V-475 for the weekend and he agreed to it and for Marantz SR5008 I dont have an option unless I buy it to listen to it. 

If even Yamaha does not sound good in my room i will exchange the Denon for Marantz Sr5008 or Sr5009

And to make sure the Marantz Sr5008 or Sr5009 are good right??these are the only ones in my price range if i buy it in Accessories4Less. The Sr5008 saves me more as it is only $400(factory Refurbished) in AC4L.

If you set up with Audessey and don't have a tripod, try setting up the mic at the back of the couch or chair.Worst case you still get ear height.Just move any pillows or cushions out of the way so it's a clear path. And you can also just adjust the bass and treble afterwards and see which sounds better. Once the set up is saved you can go back and forth with having the EQ on and off.

If you set up with Audessey and don't have a tripod, try setting up the mic at the back of the couch or chair.Worst case you still get ear height.Just move any pillows or cushions out of the way so it's a clear path. And you can also just adjust the bass and treble afterwards and see which sounds better. Once the set up is saved you can go back and forth with having the EQ on and off.

I am using a mattress that is 1 feet from the carpeted floor and I will be leaning on the back wall laying on the mattress to listen to music or movies so my ears will be close to back wall and at 2 feet high from the floor. Just wanted a relaxing setup. So If I am using a tripod i should place it atleast 1 or 2 feet from the back wall right to allow the reflections to mix in????

now my problem is that these speakers sound bright whatever i do with the settings also tried

" now my problem is that these speakers sound bright whatever i do with the settings "   Not to be a downer but I doubt whatever brand receiver you buy will fix this problem

Room Treatments or different speakers   running  REW would be a good start

Edited by A1UC

Not to be a downer but I doubt whatever brand receiver you buy will fix this problem

I agree,if using a mattress to lay on with it being a few inches off the floor will not settle the issue.If that is the case, get a set of bookshelf speakers and place them on the floor or on a small stand or book,that will get rid of the issue as the speakers are going to be almost 3 feet higher than your ears and acoustics from laying down are going to be different than sitting up. Then only way you can get rid of some of the brightness is to bring the treble settings down on the receiver. The sound is going to bounce off of everything and being it's above you,will always sound off. Also, move the speakers to the sides of your listening area instead of in front of you.That may be a better sound field for you.  No matter what you do,unless you have a dedicated seating arrangement, you are going to incur problems with the sound field.

" now my problem is that these speakers sound bright whatever i do with the settings "   Not to be a downer but I doubt whatever brand receiver you buy will fix this problem

Room Treatments or different speakers   running  REW would be a good start

My last post on this thread but I agree with the bolded statement and given his mattress is on the floor he isn't going to invest in a calibration mic and learn how to use REW. That said, using towers and having your head lower than the tweeters and inline with the LF drivers is something I admit not experimenting with but think maybe RB-81s would work better. Good luck. {EDIT: I see Jim above beat me to it. B) }

Edited by tkdamerica

+1

I even used Audyssey on a tripod multiple times . . . could not get the result I liked.

Then I ran Audyseey one more time on a tripod; then I leveled with the test tone all of the speakers with a RS SPL meter . . . turned out exceptional.