Klipsch Headphones Plug Replacement

eespinosa

Hello all.  First post on here.  I own a pair of Klipsch Reference ONE Premium On-Ear Headphones.  I love them!  I want to replace the plug as I ruined it while it was connected to my phone.  One side is always out unless I play with the plug.  Anyway, I ordered a TRRS plug.  My question is, does anyone know of a wiring diagram for these headphones?  I, obviously, want to connect the channels and mic wires to the proper terminals on the plug.  The wire jacket is transparent so a standard headphone wire color code, if one exists, probably wouldn't help.  I appreciate any information or assistance with this issue.  

This may give you the needed information on the plug. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55510

As far as which wire is which:  I think you can dope it out by experimenting to determine which wire goes to what with a 1.5 volt cell to tickle the drivers.  Is there a ground braid?  That is pretty obviously ground.  Then find left and right phones.  Whatever wire doesn't get a response from the phones is the microphone.

Let me add, here: You will likely find a wire pair where you hear clicking and scraping sound in both earphones.  You are across the left and right.  Then find the ground or common to those.  Connect the cell from one of known earphone leads from the previous test and connect the other side of the cell to the third and fourth wires.  One of them will cause only one earphone to get the click and scrape.  So now you've found the ground or common and you know the input to the earphone on one side.

The wire which has been not giving results is the microphone.

At least that is what I'd do.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

Just look at the plug wires when you take it apart. Write down the colors and where they go or better yet cut the wires up a little from plug and then just copy the same color onto new plug. If you wiggle the wires, its not the plug its a broken wire inside the cable. My ear buds developed same problem I just took and old cheap set and cut the wire halfway up and wired the plug into the ear buds wire.

Thanks.  I'm going to try slicing the present plug lengthwise to see if it'll tell me anything. If it doesn't reveal anything, I will try the battery method mentioned above.  It has to be the plug because that is what bent when I put pressure on it from sitting.  Twisting the plug on the jack is the only way to get both sides to play.  Wiggling the wire does nothing.