Sooo Impressed!

Rocko81

After a long hiatus from HT I've finally started getting back into recently.  

I picked up some RF-63's off my local CL for a great deal, so I figured it was time to reconfigure my man cave and get the HT kicking.

Up front I have the RF-63's

Rear surrounds are now my RB-35's

Both powered by a Marantz NR1402 receiver.

No center or sub yet.

All I can say is wow! I used the set up mic on the Marantz and it did wonders. The bass shakes the couch.

I'll probably end up grabbing a 5ch amp and using the Marantz as a pre for now.

Eventually I'd like to add an RC-64 and a sub although I don't really feel it's needed, but hell is any of this really "needed'?

I had forgot how impressive the RF-63's are.

I know I'll take some heat but dare I say I like them better then my Cornwall III's??? :huh:

-R

Welcome back!

Heat? You for heat! RF63s over Cornwall IIIs?!?! ;-)

They are your speakers . . . so prefer what you will!

I encourage you to be on the lookout for a used RC64 for the center channel too.

Other will certainly chime it with suggestions.

Edited by Rhetor

Eventually I'd like to add an RC-64 and a sub although I don't really feel it's needed, but hell is any of this really "needed'?

Welcome back!  Yes, these other speakers are needed.  With a complete system, you will be more impressed.  It is also not wrong to like your  RF 63's over Cornwall.  It is your money and your ears.

• Like 1

All I can say is wow! I used the set up mic on the Marantz and it did wonders. The bass shakes the couch.

Doesn't surprise me. 

I know I'll take some heat but dare I say I like them better then my Cornwall III's???

Not from me.  I have always touted the RF-63's capabilities.

Enjoy.

Bill 

RC64 and a quality sub are most definitely needed if you want to take your system to a whole new level. The amp will not be as drastic of an upgrade.

The Marantz is listed at 50wpc. I was looking at the Emotiva UPA-500 or UPA-700 which IIRC are 80wpc. Should I look elsewhere?

I'll probably end up grabbing a 5ch amp and using the Marantz as a pre for now.

-R

If I remember right, the 1402 does not have pre-outs for 5 channels.

I was kind of confused about that. It says there's a preouts would it not work for a five channel amp?

Skip the amp for now. Buy a sub and center first. Then just get you a bigger receiver. That receiver leaves little to be desired for future proofing a manly surround setup like the 63 HT. I've owned two different rf-63 theaters and they are great speakers. Be careful with movie volumes without a sub you can easily send some LFE to them speakers and blow a woofer. LFE is not made for 6.5" drivers.

The specs on the Marantz page says Pre-Amplifier Out 2.1 which would be the two speakers and the .1 is your sub.

Ohhh I'm with you now. As you can tell I'm used to two channel amping. Never even thought about it till now but I see what you're saying about the preamp.

Center and sub it is!

Skip the amp for now. Buy a sub and center first. Then just get you a bigger receiver. That receiver leaves little to be desired for future proofing a manly surround setup like the 63 HT. I've owned two different rf-63 theaters and they are great speakers. Be careful with movie volumes without a sub you can easily send some LFE to them speakers and blow a woofer. LFE is not made for 6.5" drivers.

Scrappy, thanks for the advice. I never thought about the LFE. Hmmm

Does the receiver not let you set up a crossover?

Does the receiver not let you set up a crossover?
well kind of and kind of not. You can change speakers to small to

Enable a crossover to be set but then if he has no sub he will get no LFE. If he checks the sub as no front default to full range. So he needs a sub. Period. Or just be careful with the volume. I ran 63's for a while full range but can't get crazy with volume. If you do you will possibly damage a woofer. I've come close to it when I was seeing it what they could do on a movie.

• Moderators
 Rocko81, on 10 Dec 2014 - 2:07 PM, said:Rocko81, on 10 Dec 2014 - 2:07 PM, said:Rocko81, on 10 Dec 2014 - 2:07 PM, said: All I can say is wow! I used the set up mic on the Marantz and it did wonders. The bass shakes the couch

If you are thinking the couch is shaking now, you will say WOW alot with sub, it's only a very light vibration now. :P

"I know I'll take some heat but dare I say I like them better then my Cornwall III's??? :huh:"

No heat from me, it's your ears, if you like it better fine, no problem really, It's all that counts in the end

Glad your happy :emotion-19:

Edited by dtel

I know it's not an exact match but would a Klipsch RW-10d work well with my RF-63 and my future RC-64?

No! :o  :)

When I had my RW-10d in the same system as my RF-63/RC-64 combo, it was the biggest mismatch.  Not even close.  I soon purchased my RSW-10d and moved the RW-10d to the bedroom and it was noticeably better for music but only marginally better for HT.  I soon realized that I need more horsepower and cubic inches and the rest is history.

Bill