Sooo Impressed!

Rocko81

I know it's not an exact match but would a Klipsch RW-10d work well with my RF-63 and my future RC-64?

sure if you want a totally underwhelming experience. I'm sure the 63's can make as much bass as that sub. You need a big boy sub go that theater. The center is your most important purchase with a sub following a close second.

Whew glad I asked. Any sub recommendations? I think the RT-10d is recommended but not sure A) I can find one B) I could afford one if I did.

I have a big empty spot just waiting for a nice RC-64 when it pops up.

Edited by Rocko81

• Moderators
Rocko81, on 14 Dec 2014 - 12:21 PM, said: I know it's not an exact match but would a Klipsch RW-10d work well with my RF-63 and my future RC-64? No! :o:) When I had my RW-10d in the same system as my RF-63/RC-64 combo, it was the biggest mismatch. Not even close. I soon purchased my RSW-10d and moved the RW-10d to the bedroom and it was noticeably better for music but only marginally better for HT. I soon realized that I need more horsepower and cubic inches and the rest is history.

These guys are correct.  IMO, the RW-10d would be a waste of money with those speakers.  If possible, I would step up to a 15" sub.  A quality 15" will have no problems keeping up with the RF-63's.

• Moderators

Any sub recommendations?

Don't know your budget or if this is a good price, but I know this SVS will destabilize your foundation.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/4801300934.html 

00606_k6oUyX5ck6R_600x450.jpg

Bill

Whoa! Talking about spilling the popcorn everywhere.

Spilling the popcorn?  When that beast fires up, there is so much pressure, the kernels start popping!

• Like 1

• Moderators
Any sub recommendations? I think the RT-10d is recommended but not sure A) I can find one B) I could afford one if I did.

The RT-10d is a great sub but honestly, a single RT-10d isn't going to give you that deep slam that you could have with a quality 15" sub.

Check out my Dual RT-10d vs RSW-15 Comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked up an Emotiva UMC-1 and borrowed a friends Proton amp. I'm totally underwhelmed.

The Marantz NR1401 has way more balls with a hell of a lot more bass coming from my 63's. Not sure if it's the amp or the Emotiva. Maybe the Marantz is just that good?

So I picked up an Emotiva UMC-1 and borrowed a friends Proton amp. I'm totally underwhelmed.

The Marantz NR1401 has way more balls with a hell of a lot more bass coming from my 63's. Not sure if it's the amp or the Emotiva. Maybe the Marantz is just that good?

Go into the eq and eq the bass up. The emo has a few places you can turn up the bass. But the eq would be the best. I run a umc1 on a pair of cornwalls and they pound the bass like crazy. 

How many watts do the Proton amp push and the Marantz?  A good 150 watt amp will make those speaker and the HT experience go to the upper room, lol.  We all want to go to the upper room, lol.

The proton is 60 Wpc the Marantz is 50wpc.

Go into the eq and eq the bass up. The emo has a few places you can turn up the bass. But the eq would be the best. I run a umc1 on a pair of cornwalls and they pound the bass like crazy.

I looked around but didn't see too much in the way of correcting the bass. I have the manual as well but that didn't say too much either.

There's a HUGE difference between the two. The crappy low and marantz would make the furniture shake. The Emo/proton combo is extremely disappointing.

Please don't think I am trying to come off as a know-it-all...... as I am FAR from it, but I came from the two channel world into home theater as well. I made the mistake of buying an expensive, higher-end home theater receiver (Denon 5700) which was pretty much obsolete after a few years. I decided to purchase a "stop-gap" refurbished unit (Yamaha RX-V863) while I shopped for my next higher-end home theater receiver. When I hooked up the refurbished mid-priced unit, it sounded as good as the unit I replaced it with. I still own it and probably won't ever spend more than $500 or so on an AVR. Buying seperates sounds good in theory, but finding a receiver with 7 pre-outs will likely put you in higher-end stuff anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, even though the Yamaha is a mid-priced unit, it actually is a beast power wise with 105W into an 8ohm load with all seven driven. I have K-horns and a Belle center, so it is more power than I need. I actually brought power up for a reason. Your 63s aren't nearly as efficient as my k-horns, but they aren't bad either. A powerful sub will help your cause and your current receiver might give you enough if you use the right cut-off frequency with your sub . It takes MUCH more power to push lows than mids and highs. Get a big powerful sub. I have mains the size of squatty refrigerators that have 15" bass drivers, yet I still use a sub. 

I wouldn't be in this forum if I weren't a huge Klipsch fan, but I am NOT a huge fan of Klipsch subs. I think they can do better. 63s only have 6.5" drivers. They do quite well for what they are, but they don't have that depth like those big 80's speakers...... for example. A sub is a must. Get a 12" or 15" powered sub IMNSHO. A good and properly set-up sub makes a huge difference in your system. 

As I first stated, please take my reply for what it is. It is only my opinion. I LOVE to give my opinion, but I don't think it is law by any means. I simply try to give my opinions based on my experiences.

Bryant

Please don't think I am trying to come off as a know-it-all...... as I am FAR from it, but I came from the two channel world into home theater as well. I made the mistake of buying an expensive, higher-end home theater receiver (Denon 5700) which was pretty much obsolete after a few years. I decided to purchase a "stop-gap" refurbished unit (Yamaha RX-V863) while I shopped for my next higher-end home theater receiver. When I hooked up the refurbished mid-priced unit, it sounded as good as the unit I replaced it with. I still own it and probably won't ever spend more than $500 or so on an AVR. Buying seperates sounds good in theory, but finding a receiver with 7 pre-outs will likely put you in higher-end stuff anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, even though the Yamaha is a mid-priced unit, it actually is a beast power wise with 105W into an 8ohm load with all seven driven. I have K-horns and a Belle center, so it is more power than I need. I actually brought power up for a reason. Your 63s aren't nearly as efficient as my k-horns, but they aren't bad either. A powerful sub will help your cause and your current receiver might give you enough if you use the right cut-off frequency with your sub . It takes MUCH more power to push lows than mids and highs. Get a big powerful sub. I have mains the size of squatty refrigerators that have 15" bass drivers, yet I still use a sub. 

I wouldn't be in this forum if I weren't a huge Klipsch fan, but I am NOT a huge fan of Klipsch subs. I think they can do better. 63s only have 6.5" drivers. They do quite well for what they are, but they don't have that depth like those big 80's speakers...... for example. A sub is a must. Get a 12" or 15" powered sub IMNSHO. A good and properly set-up sub makes a huge difference in your system. 

As I first stated, please take my reply for what it is. It is only my opinion. I LOVE to give my opinion, but I don't think it is law by any means. I simply try to give my opinions based on my experiences.

Bryant

Hi Bryant,

I totally welcome your opinion. That's what I'm here for. I plan on adding a center and a sub. In the meantime I came across the Emotiva and borrowed the Proton. I was/am very happy with the Marantz. All I was looking for was the Emotiva to be equil to the sound of the Marantz. At this point I'm very surprised at how lame sounding the Emo is.

Maybe I'm missing something on the Emotiva?

Thanks,

Rick

When I hooked up the refurbished mid-priced unit, it sounded as good as the unit I replaced it with. I still own it and probably won't ever spend more than $500 or so on an AVR. Buying seperates sounds good in theory, but finding a receiver with 7 pre-outs will likely put you in higher-end stuff anyway.

Bryant,

You can get an Onkyo TX-NR828 that has 7.2 preouts and runs Audyssey XT32, which will calibrate two subs, for $599.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR828-7-2-Channel-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00CILJB0E

Fifty watts is fine for some jazz and other not to demanding music.  For rock, Hip Hop, bass heavy music, the 63's should have more power.

The 63's were thunderous with 50wpc. They sounded great in two channel and HT.

Now it's just flat and lifeless.

I set the Emotiva back to the factory settings and played with the EQ. Still no luck.