Sooo Impressed!

Rocko81

• Moderators

When I had my UMC-1, it sounded pretty good but honestly, there was too much tweaking in the settings and I never got it to sound the way I wanted it.  IMO, the EMOQ was useless.  It sounded pretty bad after auto-calibration.  I then went into the EmoQ settings and manually began adjusting the EQ but the problem for me was I didn't know which frequencies needed boosting and which needed cutting.  I was just randomly guessing so I made a cheezy smiley face on the EQ and it sounded pretty good.  I'm sure if you know what you are doing, you can get the UMC-1 to sound great, I just did not have enough desire to spend hours trying to get it to sound fantastic.  I would rather run an auto calibration (like Audessey) and maybe adjust levels and crossover and pretty much set it and forget it.  I'm not much of a tweaker.

• Like 1

When I had my UMC-1, it sounded pretty good but honestly, there was too much tweaking in the settings and I never got it to sound the way I wanted it.  IMO, the EMOQ was useless.  It sounded pretty bad after auto-calibration.  I then went into the EmoQ settings and manually began adjusting the EQ but the problem for me was I didn't know which frequencies needed boosting and which needed cutting.  I was just randomly guessing so I made a cheezy smiley face on the EQ and it sounded pretty good.  I'm sure if you know what you are doing, you can get the UMC-1 to sound great, I just did not have enough desire to spend hours trying to get it to sound fantastic.  I would rather run an auto calibration (like Audessey) and maybe adjust levels and crossover and pretty much set it and forget it.  I'm not much of a tweaker.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The UMC-1 is now listed on Craigslist.

• Moderators

Sorry the UMC-1 didn't work out for you.  The 5 year long promised XMC-1 is supposed to have fixed much of the problems from the UMC-1 but I honestly haven't read up on it after it's release to see what the new owners are saying about it.

Don't get me wrong though, even though the Yamaha is a mid-priced unit, it actually is a beast power wise with 105W into an 8ohm load with all seven driven.

Not trying to split hairs but the 863, though a very nice AVR, is not as powerful as you might think.

Though, not too shabby in 2-channel at 0.1% distortion and 164.8 watts.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-v863-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

HT Labs Measures: Yamaha RX-V863 A/V Receiver

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: 
0.1% distortion at 42.6 watts 
1% distortion at 48.4 watts

All channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: 
0.1% distortion at 41.6 watts 
1% distortion at 47.9 watts

With that said,  I went back and forth many times deciding between the Yamaha 863 and my Onkyo TX-SR705.

Bill

having lived with the UMC-1 now for several years, i found that their last big firmware patch fixed all of the issues.  I get audio drops very very rarely now and much of those i found to have been attributed to netflix streaming stuff.  It is definitely a tweak machine and I never used the emoq and did everything kind of by ear.  The little beast isnt for everyone and If i had the cash, i would upgrade to the XMC-1.  Again, it isnt for everyone and i was peeved with it for a long time until we had a sit down, hashed out our differences and figured a way to coexist.