Interested in your advise or help

bjb

Since december I have recently become a newbie audiophile but could use anyones opinion about what i can do to make my system sound better either by new equipment or changing things in my receiver or etc. I am new at this so any helpful comments are welcome.

I have purchased:

Denon AVR-3300 receiver

Sony DVP-5360 dvd

Ksw-12 sub I use both plug in by using a y split for lfe and r.

Rf-3 front

rc-3 center

rs-3 rear

Sony XBR 36" t.v

scientific atlantic digital cable

I use monster cable for everything

Noone I know friends or family knows anything about ht's and they think im crazy for purchasing this stuff. So to get someones opinion of my system from those who know would be great thanks.

Looks like a great setup... The only concern i'd have is with heat from the 3300. I've heard it's a prob with those, but have never dealt with them. I think some who have them in enclosures used extra fans to keep it cool.

"Welcome to the next level" wink.gif

-Rich

Wow! Great set-up, and don't worry what those truely jealous people say. We know what we like and thats the deal.

Would recommend surge protection next. Check out hififorless.com, best prices on Monster I've seen (HTS 2000 $131 delivered). If your sub is seperated from the rest fo your system they also make a small plug onto the wall sub protector!

Boy, I hope Monster doesn't do away with their internet sales policy!

bjb - I also have a Denon 3300, and it has never given me any problems with heat. I have it on an open shelf, with air flow on 4 sides, and at least 4 inches of clearance on the top. While those entertainment centers look nice, they trap a lot of heat that can be death to electrical components. If you have such a center, get an inexpensive cooling fan and plug it into the switched outlet of your 3300. Some have used components fans from Radio Shack. Be sure the voltage is right. A repair place here uses a 220-volt fan plugged into 110v so it runs slower and very quiet.

I appeciate the response. I know my question was very general. I love the way it sounds i really wanted to know where it stood. And i apreciate the response. I will buy a surge protector as Quenten suggested and doug drake my denon is in an enclosed entertaiment center but ill take your advice i did notice it being pretty hot but didnot think of it as a concern but will prevent it from being one. Jeff george they are approximately 15-20 ft apart however i am in the market for a new house so i wont know for sure till then. I plan to have an experience installer come and wire my house and help with the best placement and setup.

sorry jeffgeorge i was confused about what you asked my rears are 15-20 im just guessing and the front are about 9 ft. Like i said i am in the house market and it is real hard to find a living room that is a square without the fireplace being in the best spot for the tv.

Actually boa12 the denon is the newest addition and i just have sound running to it from the digital box it is so hard to get behind the entertainment system so i decided to leave the video running straight to the tv and will change that when i move.

One last question for the group. I have seen people talk about ksw100 and ksw300 subs but dont see them on the product website are these older ones that are now replaced by the ksw10,12,15.

yea bjb, i have my sciatlanta box running from it's 1 digital out jack to the coax digital in of my receiver via a single rca interconnect.

thought i'd mention that as many don't realize this provides another source for digital sound for HT besides the DVDP. hopefully, we'll get more Dolby Dig 5.1 sound broadcasts in the near future. but using the

digital connection instead of just the dual plug analog connection still provides cleaner

dolby sound even w/ just Dolby 2.0 Surround/Prologic broadcasts.

------------------

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

i should mention i also use the dig. box's analog audio outputs in addition to the digital outs (yea even more interconnects but they don't have to be monster though a good quality shielded may be good biggrin.gif).

w/ the digital connection you'll get sound to your receiver only w/ digital channels, so for all the other analog channels u need those connections.

another good thing on the digital connection are those music channels. usually sound much better than radio & no commercials smile.gif

Yeh the subs you mentioned have been replaced with a lower costing unit. I have the KSW300 and my brother has the KSW 15. They both do their jobs well but the 15 has a port defect that when the sub is kickin so is the port, kickin it's way out of the sub. My brother sent his sub back and they sent him a new one. Port did the same thing. So he hot glued it on the back edge of the port flange and it's fine. Also there is a LOT of noise coming out of the RCA jacks of the amp...internal acoustic noise, so he had to put tape over the RCA jacks.

------------------

Onkyo TX8511

ADCOM GCD-700

KLIPSCH CF3,s

KLIPSCH CF4's

KSW-300

dougdrake - I know this is off-topic (kinda), but your comment about the potential cooling problem of the Denon 3300 has me curious.

I have my 3300 in an entertainment center and clearance is approx. 4" on top, 2" on either side, and 6" in back. The Denon sits (enclosed) at the top of all components on its own shelf. Early on, I noticed quite a bit of heat build up so I drilled some large 2" dia holes all along the back wall at the top of the equipment area (if that makes sense) to promote convection air-flow. The Denon gets most of its work-outs with movies and music once-in-awhile. I've noticed that even when pressed hard during movies, it's no where near as warm as it was before I butchered the back of the entertainment cabinet. My Denon is going on 2 years old.

Do you think I still need to be concerned? Would you suggest I look into forced cooling?

TIA

Tom Adams

Tom - If you've been running fine for 2 years, you're probably in good shape. But I, by no means, am an expert on this. I just know that electrical components hate heat, and the cooler the better (I used to work with the old water-cooled IBM mainframes, and they spent tons of money figuring out the best ways to cool those hummers). I only wanted to caution people about the heat build-up problem in enclosed spaces. I think that oftentimes people who design and build entertainment centers don't take heat dispersion into consideration. Heck, they even put light bulbs inside them just to add to the problem!

Just for kicks, stick a thermometer inside (the entertainment center) during a good workout and see what it reads.

yea boa12, I hooked it up to the digital coaxial and it was an improvement. Later on i changed the channel to the non digital and was freaked when there was no sound i finally figured it out and just ran another pair of monster cables from left right to vcr2/aux.

one last question, Ive read that some of you have an additional sub connected to your surrounds. Not being anywhere near an electrical genius. I was wondering how this is done. My only guess is to place sub in the back of the room and connect both +and- wires from the sources surround to the back of the ksw12 in and run a new set of wires from the out to the corresponding rears. Is this accurate. I am not interested at this time in doing so but you never know.