Forte - Forte II - question

expresso

Hi - i been looking more and more at the forte speaker but i am confusing on a few things maybe someone can clear it up for me - 

on the Klipsch site - it dosnt show pictures with out the grill so cant see the difference there -  the specs show the forte to have a 12 inch passive - vs 15 for forte II -    

other than that - what other differences are there ?   i seen pictures of forte - and forte II  but someones i see a smaller mid horn  and others have a larger mid horn -    

i cant be sure which is which or if people are describing them correctly -   my friend has a pair - they say forte II in the rear and the Large Mid horn  -    alot i am seeing say forte II also - but show the smaller Mid horn -    either they are saying its forte II and its not -  ?

i just want to know whats the difference between the two models -  so i know what i am getting if i find a decent pair and price -   what benefit would it be having the larger mid horn compared to the smaller mid horn -  

specs seem the same in the Feq. range and power handling -   also - i seen pictures of Forte crossovers for sale - they say 4 ohm -    on the klipsch site -  they show 8 ohm for both models

my friends shows 8 ohms -    does anyone know for sure the facts on these models so i can look for the correct pair -

thanks -  i am thinking of trying a pair if nothing good comes out next year from them -  i want to try going back to the good old days :)    and give my 82s to someone else to enjoy - 

Forte II has:

- Much larger mid-range horn
- Mid-range horn is Tractrix style(instead of the simple exponential style)
- Larger 15" passive rear woofer(compared to 12" on original)
- 99db efficiency(compared to 98db on original)
- Slightly improved crossover points(mid-range horn covers wider freq. range)
- Magnetic grills(instead of velcro on originals)

Some people say they like the orignals better, but I prefer the larger tractrix horn on the Forte II.

All Fortes have the same impedance, regardless of the older ones labeled as 4 ohm. I forget what the reason for this was.

Any picture you saw that were labeled "Forte II" but showed the smaller horn, must have been mislabeled.

ok got it -  if it has the larger mid horn - its a forte II -   and other is forte -   i got the itch but cant decide yet -   depends what they come out with next year but for some reason - i dont feel its going to be anything really great for music like the older ones -   but never know -

among the older line -   where does the forte and forte II stand -  is the chorus line as good or better -   that looks like nice model also -  similar in look and the specs handle a very high peak -   lows dont hit as low as the forte models

would you say the fortes are on the top and others below ?   i also love the KG 4 model -  a bit smaller -  i just happen to find those now price is not bad for a nearly mint looking condition -    making it harder to decide -  but i only have room for one pair -   and i do want to wait to see what new models may come out next year - 

• Like 1

I'd say it probably goes something like this:

K-horn > LaScala/Belle > Cornwall II>I>III > Chorus II > Forte II > Chorus I > Forte I > Heresy III>II>I

Something like that...just based on what I've read during my time on this forum. But people all have their own preferences and opinions.

Also, I think any Heritage model trumps pretty much any KG model. Though the KG 5.5 would put up a good fight!

Edited by mattSER

and i also seen now 4 ohms on the KG 4 models -  which i normally seen always 6 ohms - Klipsch site says 6 ohms -  makes you wonder - if they were tampered with - or were they made with different ohms ?

i have a pair of KG 3.2 - 8 ohms -  but i seen replacement drivers for them  - made for them - but are 4 ohms -    what would happen if you were to add the 4 ohm drivers  -  ?

what difference does it make - other than its pulling more amp power etc, -  but would it work - or sound any different -   - i never know what makes it a 4 ohm speaker compared to a 8 ohm speaker -    

is it the crossover that make its its final ohm rating ?   i got new ones form crities -  i was the first who asked to have it for the KG 3.2 speaker -   i know they may not be so sort after - but they sound very nice and handle my amps well - no issues   -  

i cant find myself getting rid of the KG 3.2 -  i rather get rid of the 82s  - 

yes your right - everyone will say something different and what ever works for you in the space you have etc, -  you have to find the right match -

so the chorus is up there with the forte - ok - i am keeping an eye out for the forte II -  i happen to like the larger horn also :)    its the shipping that will cost alot - that sucks - but what can you do -   i will wait till a good set comes around - if in very very good condition - i wont mind the shipping cost

The K23 woofer in the Forte 1 is 4 ohm.

Fortes will make my amps run hot if set for 8 ohm speakers.  

So your Forte  say 4 ohm in the rear ?     what do you mean if set to 8 ohms ?    you can change your ohm setting ?    i know 4 ohm pull more from the amp -  thats not a problem with my amps - they both can do it -  i am just confused seeing different numbers -  on the Klipsch site - they all say 8 ohms -  

now i am looking at a pair of KG 4 -  in what looks to me to be great condition -  i just cant remember there sound now - and how much bass they gave out etc, -   those also say 6 ohms on website but 4 ohms in the rear of the speakers -

I am sorry for the confusion.

If I connect Fortes to the 8 ohm tap on the amp, the amp will run hotter than if connected to the 4 ohm tap.

I was using Fortes and Tangent 400s on a Kenwood 150 wpc and that configuration blew the transformer.

Of all the Heritage and Extended Heritage line, the best balanced speakers INMHO are the forte II and CF4.  I have owned forte II since new in 1992.  I will never part with mine.  If you are running a good high current amplifier, that has ample reserve power for "Difficult Loads, or Passages" you will find little need for a subwoofer since they dig to 32KHZ, if not slightly lower.  Keep an eye on your local Craigslist, Audiogon, etc.  Unless your really remote somewhere odds are you can avoid shipping.

Best regards,

John

• Like 2

I am sorry for the confusion.

If I connect Fortes to the 8 ohm tap on the amp, the amp will run hotter than if connected to the 4 ohm tap.

I was using Fortes and Tangent 400s on a Kenwood 150 wpc and that configuration blew the transformer.

i am not sure what your Kenwood unit is - or what it can do -  but if you are not connecting them correctly -  it will damage one or the other or both - speakers and amp or AVR etc, -    you have to really try to use a amp which can handle 4 ohms -    you cant match 4 ohm speakers to a an amp or any unit that can only do 8 ohms -  it will run hot at the least and shut down - blow the amp -  and can even damage speakers -  you want alot of power clean  - no distortion going to the speakers -    

Edited by expresso

Of all the Heritage and Extended Heritage line, the best balanced speakers INMHO are the forte II and CF4.  I have owned forte II since new in 1992.  I will never part with mine.  If you are running a good high current amplifier, that has ample reserve power for "Difficult Loads, or Passages" you will find little need for a subwoofer since they dig to 32KHZ, if not slightly lower.  Keep an eye on your local Craigslist, Audiogon, etc.  Unless your really remote somewhere odds are you can avoid shipping.

Best regards,

John

i was afraid of that -  your right - i do like the forte II my friend has - i havnt heard them much - hes busy moving things around now -  i did see that they go low which i want and i dont have room for many speakers so i want to choose a good set and thats it -   i have no problem with my amps - i have a Emo xp5 new version and an QSC GX 5 which really rocks out -    i have a pair of 82,s and KG 3.2 -  i am will to part with the 82's   but cant seem to get rid of the KG - i did the bob upgrade and they are in excellent condition -     shipping i am afraid is something i have to just deal with and pay for - trust me on this one -    they have to be shipped - if i find a pair -  but i am ok with that if i can find a very good condition pair -    whats getting me is also the fact something new is coming from Klipsch very soon i think - and i just happen to find what looks like a great pair of KG 4 -  so i am confused what to do now - i dont have room for both forte II and KG 4 with out getting rid of everything i have now - and even then it may not work in my space they are both huge speakers -  wide

• Moderators

The K23 woofer in the Forte 1 is 4 ohm.

Fortes will make my amps run hot if set for 8 ohm speakers.  

I never had that problem and I have 6, 4 four Forte ll's and 2 originals connected to a standard AVR, a older Yamaha RX V730  for HT and it runs barely warm with heavy use.

Now is that the woofer reading or before the crossover ?

The KG4 is a great speaker but the forte II is better.  I would keep forte II over KG4.  Good luck on your search.

Best regards,

John

i dont have either one now -  :)  i got the itch  and forte II are hard to get in great condition at a decent price of course -   and the KG 4  i found at a good price considering shipping is included and the condtion looks good -  or i have to be patient and just wait in hopes of finding a good forte II pair -    i would hate to buy something now and then a new forte comes out next year  - i know what are the chances of that -  pretty slim -  -   i may have to wait till next year to see what comes out  unless i find one before then that works for me - price and conditon

I know at least one of our community listened to the Forte and Forte II and did not find much difference.

Nonetheless, Klipsch thought enough of the difference in the mid horn to make the modification to the tractrix. 

You should look at the article on the tractrix in the Forte II

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/44607-article-re-tractrix-horn/page-3?hl=tractrix

I posted it before having access to the software to assemble a .pdf document, so the pages are individually posted in my first posts.  Later, December 2007, MAS assembled the document and it is at about page 3 of the string.  That will be more convenient for your reading.

There was discussion in the article about directivity and phase.  In the intervening years these has been discussion of diffraction effects within the horn bell and I believe that is in part responsible for the observations of increased clarity in the tractrix design overall. 

As far as driving a Forte II, I use a Sony mini-system which had speakers labeled 4 ohms.  No problem.

WMcD

i looked over the garage section  for a pair of forte II - i dont think i will have any luck -  i guess i will just let it go and keep looking till i find a decent pair - with price etc, -  and i do it shipped where ever i get them from - thats my other issue i cant work around that -   

if anyone knows of a pair of forte II for sale - PM me -  i would like the KG 4 also which i can get right now - but afraid that i may miss my chance at forte if i do -  i dont have room for both  :(   

• Moderators
I know at least one of our community listened to the Forte and Forte II and did not find much difference.

Don't remember who else it was but I compared them and found little difference at all. Now it was not a long comparison or detailed, and my ears are old so I would hate to confirm positively  as some can distinguish little things better than me. 

I like the ll version better but only because I would hope Klipsch improved slightly on the original ? But I would consider either if shopping, or the Chorus.