Forte - Forte II - question

expresso

I modified a set of Quartet with a pair of Bobs ti tweeter diaphragms and a set of Klipsch ti mid diaphragms and a set of KLF20 woofers (remove the bezel they drop right in and 2.5 ounces on the passive. Superb bass extension better than a Forte ll upper twenty response. Put them up on 14 inch stands simply amazing. Yes I braced the cabinets and re damped them with HD fiberglass. Superb loudspeaker. If you like concert levels and whack get a set of Chorus ll and do the same thing. You have options own all three modify them and decide what floats your boat. A modified KLF20 will be even better but you will probably have to deal with the baffles but removing the baffles makes brace work easy. I have modifies two sets of KLF20 LOVE those woofers personally more than my CF3 woofers but that is my personal taste. The more you own and the more you modify the easier for you to know exactly what you like want and to get it. Best regards Moray James.

PS: Quartet Forte ll and Chorus ll all share the same mid horn. When damped and treated properly the KLF20 mid horn is a better mid horn but totally stock I would prefer the Forte ll mid horn

that sounds great :)   i think the forte II is a large enough speaker for my apt. -  since i am keeping the 82's also -  i did reach out to someone for a pair of Chorus II i seen but i doubt it - its in Nevada and i dont think he wants to ship them - they are huge -    i am not looking to do any work to the forte II other than keep it new looking and sounding etc, -  at best i may do the upgrade later on from bobs etc, -   where would you add the 2.5 ounce on the rear passive ?   how do you add them and what would you use  ? i heard this before but never seen a picture of it - 

HERE'S a nice pair of ones in Austin.  Where are you located?

i am in NYC - Manhattan -  i am looking for the II model -  i figure if i am going to get only one pair - i might as well wait and try for the II and not worry about it after -   

or else it will be on my mind all the time -  what if i had the II -  how would it sound - etc, etc, -   but yes your right - that is a nice pair -   if let say i find a pair for $200 - i know never will - but for some really low price - then i would get it regardless  and still look for the II model -  

They're fixable, even replaceable.  I'm still distracted by the veneer of those forte II, it appears to be walnut.      

ok thats good news -  and yeah - they are not black - but i wont let the color or finish bother me at this point -  i can always refinish or paint black if it bothers me that much -   i dont mind the walnut or darker Oak etc, - 

thanks - i will follow up on this one -   i dont seem to find anything on GL -  i must be doing something wrong :)

Go to Google and set up some "Google Alerts" then you will be notified the instant that a posting is made on line.

didnt even know about that -  i have to figure that out how to do -  i am being consumed by this search and driving me nuts now :)    i really though i had it and the person just didnt want to sell at the price or ship or both - so i am searching again -  i give it a try later tonight -  i have to get out and do some things or else i be here all day with this  - i need a break -  :)

• Moderators
expresso, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Ski Bum, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

They're fixable, even replaceable.  I'm still distracted by the veneer of those forte II, it appears to be walnut.      

ok thats good news -  and yeah - they are not black - but i wont let the color or finish bother me at this point -  i can always refinish or paint black if it bothers me that much -   i dont mind the walnut or darker Oak etc, - 

Good man, I feel the same way.

• Moderators
if let say i find a pair for $200 - i know never will - but for some really low price - then i would get it regardless and still look for the II model -

You never know, I found two pair of the ll version and almost gave up looking when standing in a wholesale plumbing supply place I look up and see what looks like forte ll's . I ask and was told a customer gave them to the store, I asked if the wanted to sell them and he said not really but offers a tall ladder for me to check them out. It turned out to be original forte's. I told him if they were the ll version I would have paid $500 for them which made him think. I left and thought about it the next day and called him back and offered $300 and he said come get them, so I did.

This was about 5 years ago and since seen one other pair for sale about 100 miles away, glad I got them.

Some in North Conn HERE

EDIT, pricey

yeah i seen that one yesterday -  that is pricey -  - not sure i want to pay that much plus shipping -   i think i may have contacted him alread - emailed

if not i will email him and ask - never know - maybe we can work out a price with shipping -  of he can drive them to me :)   i pay for his time gas what ever if he wants to do that -  instead of shipping -  

expresso, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Ski Bum, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Good man, I feel the same way.

so you have the originals still and how do you like them  ?    i would hate to pass up on a good pair - good price even if they were the forte I -   but at the same time - i dont have room for so many - and then once i get the I -  i bet i will find the II -   always that way -   i am starting to get tired and this will die down -  my itch to get them -   i wont give up - but not going to stress it so much -   all i care about is the cabinets in great shape and drivers etc, - grills also --  color i dont care right now -   just finding someone who will ship is harder than finding the forte II   haha -    oh well - 

maybe i should have them built if i knew i could get the horns for them and a cabinet - i would just do that and be done with it

how bad is having a hole in the dust cap  and the other pushed in -  does this affect the speaker at all -  things like that drive me crazy - to see it pushed etc, -  is they any way to replace just the dust cap - ? 

A speaker reconer can easily and cheaply replace both dust covers, but the new covers wont be as faded as the originals.

Roger

i guess i wont have to worry about that just yet -  i dont have them -  and dosnt look like i will anytime soon -  but in the event  -  the dust caps isnt a big deal then - 

in the rear its also not seen much -  i would know but wont see it -  the fronts - thats another story - would bother me to see them pushed in or dented etc,

You are pretty close to these. You might  be able to get a demo even if you dont end up buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Forte-Main-Upgraded-to-Klipschorn-Sonics-/151489614503?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item23457c12a7

Over priced and Black to boot, but it doesn't cost anything to go listen. I suppose you could figure your savings in shipping, point out that they are less desirable because they are black, point out that he will not sell them or get any bids at his asking price, go with cash and offer him a low ball offer and point out that he wont have to ship them or pay PayPal fees.

Roger

yeah that is alot - i wont pay that much -   traveling is not going to work out for me -  this is usually why i dont buy used alot because i need it shipped all the time - 

wheelchair user here -  thats the reason its so much harder for me to find a pair - so i always end up paying much more than the item for the shipping

these being large and heavy -  i have to add $200 to the cost no matter what - more or less -   i made an offer to someone on GL -  its in CT -  the asking price is $850 he wants -  

i take them if he ships them for that amount -  or brings them to me :)   thats fine also -   being that they are in very very good shape - it seems - never know till you get them -  what one person thinks is good shape - may not be for another - 

yeah that is alot - i wont pay that much -   traveling is not going to work out for me -  this is usually why i dont buy used alot because i need it shipped all the time - 

wheelchair user here -  thats the reason its so much harder for me to find a pair - so i always end up paying much more than the item for the shipping

these being large and heavy -  i have to add $200 to the cost no matter what - more or less -   i made an offer to someone on GL -  its in CT -  the asking price is $850 he wants -  

i take them if he ships them for that amount -  or brings them to me :)   thats fine also -   being that they are in very very good shape - it seems - never know till you get them -  what one person thinks is good shape - may not be for another - 

That really sucks that you can't travel to go listen, I live in Ohio, and have traveled to Texas, Wisconsin, Pittsburg, and Boston, Mass to pick up speakers, subs and amps. I would rather see in life than see pictures and have had three subs totally destroyed in shipping, so it is well worth it to me to preserve a beautiful condition pieces integrity to my house, especially if I plan to keep that piece for a long time!.

Roger

• Like 1

Just another option to hopefully help you to find a great set of speakers. The KLF20 is with some caveats a better loudspeaker (in my opinion) than the Forte ll. Caveats are that the tweeter diaphragm at a minimum is replaced with titanium diaphragms and at which point you have no reason not to change out the phenolic mid diaphragms to ti as well. You also need to make sure that the cabinet baffles front and rear are solid. This is why I did not talk about the KLF 20 til now. That said I still think that a CF3 is also a better option than the Forte ll and the KLF20. I mentioned to you that you might want to have a chat with Bob Crites about a set of Cornscala D type so long as you can accommodate a larger loudspeaker. Maybe bob could build you a set of D type with the woofer on the narrow side of the cabinet which would make them easier to fir into your room. Keep looking and research all your possible options. Best regards Moray James.

i always liked the KLF 20 - 30 also - 20 better choice for size -  i remember when they came out but i didnt have the space at all for those -

i just checked Bobs site - i seen them - but they are even larger than the forte - much wider -  i have a hard time with the forte :)   but i can do it -

any wider - not sure - but other than that - its the same issue - shipping -  they will ship - but the cost who knows - the speakers alone are going to be close to $2000 - plus shipping and they are 300 pounds !!!    

$800 sounds better to me now for the Forte II shipped in my home :)  hopefully that works out -  but good to know there are other options in the event - i can always call him and see what he can build - maybe he can do something different -

i am watching Klipsch also for next year -  wonder what they will bring out -    also i liked the 3 way from Bobs -  just looked cool - i am sure sounds even better