Forte - Forte II - question

expresso

thanks -  your right - the best way is to just remove and look yourself -   i just figured its the same driver as everyone else  -  who done it already -  as easy as it seems to everyone else -  its not for me - because i have to have someone do it for me -  and in doing that - you know how that goes -  when its not you doing it - no one is as careful as you are - - or as i would be -   i do have a friend who i think would be good for the job in working with me to do these upgrades - 

at the same time - its someone who never done any of this  so i have to watch and advise all the time -  to be careful here and there - hold this - etc, -  you be surprised how people in general can mess up a simple thing as just removing the screws  :)

i like to know what i am getting into and what i would need best i can before starting anything for that simple that i like to avoid any issues that may arise from doing things over and over -  less chances of mishaps -  but your right some times you just have to do the extra work to double check things first -  many times no matter how perfect you feel you are ready and have everything on hand to do a job - and as you do it - you realize something is missing or you run into something you didnt expect -

i am just talking in general - not specific to this job -    i understand its harder for others to understand this because it easier for everyone else to do things and or get help from others who are on the same page sort of speak -  on the other hand -  i do feel alone many times when i have to do things - i have to always look for others to do what i have in mind to do for me -  and carefully - correctly etc, -  

its harder than you think to find someone who is on the same page  -  i hope this dosnt sound bad etc, coming off this way -  i am not upset in any way etc,  - i appreciate all the help i get from all the members here -

• Like 1

Quote:"you be surprised how people in general can mess up a simple thing as just removing the screws :)"

I would not be surprised in any way as that is the unfortunate way of life. If you are going to be the director then you had better be the guy who knows and understands the most about what it is that you are doing. That's why I started the thread to help you to find local forum members who may have done these mods. If you know what you are doing these modifications do not have to take long.

I still think that a two way type D Cornscala would be your best option (you have plenty of room for them)built by Bob and delivered on a skid to your door. No need to modify anything and a better speaker. Sometimes spending some extra can actually save you a lot. After the initial pain of the bill all that you have to do is enjoy. Best regards Moray James.

Expresso;

Where are you located?  I am in the greater Chicago area.  If close, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Best regards,

John

hey thanks for the offer -  i am in nyc area -  so thats not going to work -  i mean dont get me wrong - up till now - i have managed to get my system the way i wanted -  its just a matter of me doing my homework first -   you know someone can be good to help you to move an item - as opposed to actually doing the upgrade -  they may not be as careful or aware of things around them and just focus on lets say removing a screw - but not thinking that as you loosen it - the driver needs to be supported etc, - this is just an example -   but you know what i mean  - Common Sense isnt very common -    so i have to be very specific in my directions etc, -  and i mess up myself - i over look a simple thing - feeling that everyone would or should know that -  but people being people -   sometimes i feel like i have to feed the bady -  thats how specific i have to think when doing things around here -   oh and did i mention most of my help is girls - woman who dont even know why i would or care why i have a few amps - etc, -  you know -   the heavy work - i have to find someone - usually my supper - hes good but dosnt like to be disturbed too much either -  you know - 

so there you have it -  simple things are not simple here -  and yes i have to be the director -  which of course they dont always like how i direct -  but in my mind my goal is to do the job and do it right -  if it takes extra steps - then thats what it takes -   alot of people dont see the point of learning to walk before running -   they cant see what is the purpose of doing step 1 or 2  when really step 3 is whats needed -    and we all know -  it may not look like step 1 or 2 is needed but theres always a reason why you do things in steps - in order and correctly -  -   the outcome is the reason -    or you wont be happy and did it for nothing -  

i looked at those D Cornscala you meantioned and they are nice -  no question - if i had a House with more room -    but i was set on getting Klipsch and this model Forte II -   so that was my goal -  turned out very good thanks to the members here -    

for now - and near future - if i end up doing the xover and tweeter mid upgrades -  washers etc, -  i can manage that at the moment - i have someone who is willing to help me here and is careful etc,    if it can be done in the upright position with out having to lay it down etc, -  thats the best option for me -   

i have them on dollies with wheels - worked out great -  to move them very easy -  i plan on keeping them there - remove the passive and posts -   to do the work -  i think that would work out fine -    after thats done at some point - i want to enjoy them again for a while -   before looking at a Tube amp -  but thats down the line -  i need to learn more about those things-  besides the fact i dont have a place to put it -   :)

• Like 1

Finally got on the phone to call about the Mid Ti -   i was told -  they wont have any till Mid Feb. -  $78 -- and they dont have any of the complete driver in stock or on order -  the price for that would have been $98 - 

its a different part number - but dosnt matter since they dont even stock or have any on order of the complete driver -  i was about to just order the complete driver and have it on hand for when i get the rest and do the upgrade  -  i decided i want to try the Mid TI myself and decide if i like it as is    -

i know simple speakers have them - but not the complete driver -  i know dosnt look like i will get that one -  i wanted to save a few steps  -  on the pro side - i get to save $40 instead - when time comes - 

part number for driver is 128022 --

Expresso;

I believe what you were told, but the answer provided to you by Klipsch doesn't make much sense unless they plan on discontinuing the Heresy III, and Cornwall III since both utilize the K53TI drivers for the squawker horn.

Best regards,

John

i know -  strange - who knows if i call again in the future - or someone else - the answer may be different who knows -   he told me that the driver itself dosnt go bad - its not something that really gets replaced -  just the Mid it self -   not the whole driver - 

i dont always trust what i am told from them now - i would have believed it when it was Klipsch - now the workers are more generic in natural i think -

he had to go find out this info when i asked -  he said system was down etc, -   so  i can also call again next week or even tomorrow to ask again -

which i may just do -  just to see if i get the same answer - :)      i mean either way - dosnt matter -  just to save a few steps and easier ;plug and play - but  its not that much harder to do and you can save $40 in the process -   

but i would have gotten the whole driver if they had them today -   i am in no rush so i can call again and try it in Feb. -  again -  unless i just get the itch and get them from simply speakers - 

i hope when i do get them - they come marked as to which is Pos  at least -  i dont want to make the mistake of mismatching - 

JJT

Forum Veteran

Members

PipPipPipPip

130 posts

LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi Jim,

I'm not too far away, Brooklyn NY, a couple of miles east of the Verrazzano Bridge. Back in the day, I went to Devry Tech in Woodbridge.

I have 2 systems running Heritage, Klipschorns and Cornwalls in Bath Beach and another system running Heresy's in Bay Ridge.

Your welcome to check them out.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

i really hope they do something -  because last night - it sounded great as they were -   -  i am also adding the Mid Ti   also -

Just a suggestion. I have no idea of how tolerant you are about the sound of burning components but I would suggest that you not double up on them. I think it would be a much better idea for you to install the crossover networks and wait till you are satisfied that they have totally burned in and have stopped adjusting in sound. That will likely be a month or two depending upon how much and how loud you listen. Once you have reached the point where the networks are stable and you are happy with the sound then install the diaphragms and let them burn in. Don't do them together at the same time. Best regards Moray James.

thats a good way to follow -  one step at a time -   i see how i feel later on when i start -  but knowing me -  i will change it all out at once - and let it work - i am positive about this and unless its really that bad to my ears -  i think i will like them - and then like them even more after some time -

i really dont look forward to doing much more after this and dont want to take it apart over and over unless i really have too -  i am pleased with the sound as they are now with my exciter adjustments -  - now i may get even better and with out the exciter in the mix - who knows - 

there are some things i dont mind playing around with and some things i hate to do -    when i had my car - i had my engine redone - almost every part was upgraded - not changed with stock parts   but upgraded for performance and was worth it -   i had alot of fun after that -    i was always doing something to improve that car -  it was a 93 Cobra mustang -    and was not the same after i modded that -   well had it done -   it didnt idle the same or ride the same after -   some people like it stock and afraid to change it - and others like me and you moray like to always do something to improve it -  

i understand that -  but for some reason - with the speaker -  doing this is my big improvement to it -  and once done - i want to enjoy them - :)       and of course that always can change -  when you get a itch for something -  but really these forte II  are very nice overall -  

i dont see myself touching them after doing this -   if all goes well and i like the sound it makes after the break in -   i will give it the time to break in - before calling it quits - i dont have a problem with that -  i know they are great - and can always be changed out for something else if i dont like them - or add the bandpass etc, -  but i am not even thinking of adding it -  not till i give this a chance first which will take a while for me to break in - 

i only found out about this Mid Ti  - thing here and from you i believe moray -  after reading about it and hearing that you liked it as is -  and few others also -  i went with it and will see for myself -    worst that can happen is i really done like it and i replace it or add the bandpass --   thats it -   so not a big deal -  :)

i finally put it all back -  new xovers - tweeters and Mid Ti -  i have to say -  it was a job for me to get this done and i am not looking forward to do anything else to them -  unless its broke - i am not fixing it now :)    i happen to run into a few problems -   in the end it all worked out and its done -  working - and i love them -    first off -  i did have the gaskets for all the drivers once i removed them -    thats good -   what wasnt good is -  it was very very hard to remove the wires from all the drives -   who ever touched them before - what ever they did - who knows -  i feel who ever touched them in the past 26 years -  they used a drill to remove the screws and put them back -   the wood inside was touched - it seemed to me -

they over did it -  good thing i had the sealer tape - which i used on the inside to cover up anything i felt needed it -   i mean i guess its 26 years old cabinet - and who knows who did what to it -  anyway - thats all done - nice i feel ok with it - i check the air leak with the driver passive in the end - seems fine - didnt notice any drastic leaks that would alarm me -  ok -  now all drivers removed - only active is in the box -  i put x overs in -  and the wires from the new x overs - i was hard to connect them again -  so had to work there a little bit -  that wasnt that bad -    now here is the harder issues i ran into -    the new Mid Ti -  well turns out the POS side was Way too Wide for the speaker wire to connect to  -  no one mentioned this ?   or its something new from Klipsch - who knows -  bottom line -  i had to use a dremal to shave it and thin it out -  that worked out -  so i can continue now -      then one tweeter horn -  when i removed it to change the tweeter -   it was hard to remove and then i couldnt get it back on because the screws coming from the magnet  were not straight -  how that happened - who knows -   -  i tried a hammer first to tap it - but didnt really work out -

so back to my dremal and used it to make the holes on the horn just a bit larger -  worked out fine - and that was done -     then put it all back and connected wires again -    in the end its done - i used restore a finish -  twice - let dry and then beeswax twice also -     the end result is good -  cant complain -  and they actually work :)    i didnt really listen to them yet -    just wanted to make sure they worked -   it was 3 am at this time now -   i did not expect to run into any issues - but i should have known better -    its like a used car -  you never know what your getting till you start using it  - 

i took pictures which i will try to post later or tomorrow - have to get them off my phone  -    i really cant complain now with end results -  the helpers - my friend who also a wheelchair user -  but shes more able and got on the floor etc, -  she did the work -  i directed and used the dremal -  etc, -   anyway - i had another hand also -  and she helped with the clean up i guess :)   bottom line -  they did it -   

i dont plan to take it apart ever again if i dont have to -  but if i do -  i will get some wood filler - wood glue - sand paper etc, - a few other items to have ready - and i will then take it all apart - take my time to fix the cabinets better i feel i could do  if done correctly -  its wasnt anything major that needed attention right now -    but i can see if those screws have to keep coming out and in and out again -  it can become a problem then -  

but i used the sealer tape and everything screwed back in by hand nicely and tight not over tight but enough -  and no screws are stripped - they all stay snug -  so all good -   

the only concern i have is if for some reason the wires or wire comes off one of the Mid Ti  driver -    thats all -    i believe it was snug on and was fine -   since i had to dremal the posts on the Mid Ti connection -    thats my only concern if anything  and if a something breaks that needs fixing -   which i hope not -   

i didnt really listen yet so cant say - but i dont see or hear anything wrong with the Mid Ti -  i think i will enjoy it for sure -    :)