Guesses on Klipsch's "Biggest Launch in Years" at CES on 01-06-15

Youthman

So do the Reference Premiere Wireless bookshelves also have rear-firing ports, non-removable bases, and no mounting hardware?  Based on what I've seen so far, all of the new bookshelf speakers just don't look suitable for wall mounting.  To me, that's a serious oversight, especially for the wireless system, where the intent is clearly for the bookshelf speakers to be used as surrounds.

I'm really not trying to be a killjoy, but in the past there were suitable alternatives if one didn't want to use WDST speakers as surrounds.  I'm just not seeing that with the Reference Premiere line.  What is Klipsch's intent here?

So do the Reference Premiere Wireless bookshelves also have rear-firing ports, non-removable bases, and no mounting hardware?  Based on what I've seen so far, all of the new bookshelf speakers just don't look suitable for wall mounting.  To me, that's a serious oversight, especially for the wireless system, where the intent is clearly for the bookshelf speakers to be used as surrounds.

I don't see the problem.  Why not put bookshelf speakers on a.......bookshelf?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

So do the Reference Premiere Wireless bookshelves also have rear-firing ports, non-removable bases, and no mounting hardware? Based on what I've seen so far, all of the new bookshelf speakers just don't look suitable for wall mounting. To me, that's a serious oversight, especially for the wireless system, where the intent is clearly for the bookshelf speakers to be used as surrounds.

I don't see the problem. Why not put bookshelf speakers on a.......bookshelf?

I assume you're not just being argumentative, so I'll respond...

What if I want to use these bookshelf speakers as, say, front heights in an Atmos installation? They'd need to be aimed down at the MLP and having to set the speakers on actual bookshelves won't work. Same thing when using them as traditional surrounds where room limitations necessitate them being mounted higher than ear-level. They'll need to aimed downward and that ain't happening if forced to use a "real" bookshelf for mounting. Not to mention the fact that, in most installations, having to hang little shelves all over the room just to set surround speakers on is, well, ghetto. This isn't even considering the fact that the rear-facing ports make near-wall placement far less than optimal.

The Reference II bookshelves had front-firing ports and wall-mounting hardware. Someone at Klipsch thought it was important that they be able to be wall-mounted, so I'm not just pulling these ideas out of my a$$. The old Reference II bookshelves were perfectly acceptable substitutes if one wanted to use them in place of traditional WDST surrounds. That simply isn't the case with the Reference Premiere "monitors" -- your options are far, far more limited.

These trade-offs must've been weighed by Kllipsch's engineers when they were designing the Reference Premiere monitors. I'm just curious to know what Klipsch's line of thought was here when removing the options for near- or on-wall mounting.

Edited by Schwa

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I guess the facts that the new Reference Premiere bookshelf speakers are rear-ported, lack wall-mounting hardware, and have a (presumably) non-removable plinth base rules them out for use as wall-mounted surrounds, huh?  I prefer the WDST surrounds myself, but those particular RP bookshelf design choices might alienate that segment of folks who prefer to use monopole speakers for surrounds.

And what's the thinking behind the slight upward angle the bookshelves seem to have?

The RP-150M have wall mount hardware on them.

RP-150M-Back_635544918546664000_large.jp

A few clarifications, and I think Chad has already answered a few...

Yes, the bookshelf RP series (we call them M for monitor) is rear ported.

Yes, they have wall mounting hardware.

Yes, the plinth (the platform/base thingy) is "removable" but you don't want to.  It is attached with 4 wood screws, so it would leave holes -- not a huge deal; and I'm not sure of the exact production tolerances, but the screws are "very close" to full depth of the cabinet wall thickness.  I couldnt poke a wire through the one I just looked at, YMMV.  Also, the plinth, along with the wall mounting bracket, spaces the speaker off the wall in order to let the port work.

Yes, the baffle of the monitors of the RP series is tilted back... so are the towers.

The Staidum-esque/Heritage-esque powered speakers are very much prototypes - concept development if you will, and knowing what might be inside, a pair will be more expensive than a Stadium.

Yes, the angled baffle speaker lying on its back is part of the Atmos lineup - the "add-on" Atmos speaker, still in development and undergoing Dolby testing/approval. However, I also see it being well-suited as a side/rear surround as well.

Edited by Andy W
  • Like 1

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I guess the facts that the new Reference Premiere bookshelf speakers are rear-ported, lack wall-mounting hardware, and have a (presumably) non-removable plinth base rules them out for use as wall-mounted surrounds, huh?  I prefer the WDST surrounds myself, but those particular RP bookshelf design choices might alienate that segment of folks who prefer to use monopole speakers for surrounds.

And what's the thinking behind the slight upward angle the bookshelves seem to have?

The RP-150M have wall mount hardware on them.

RP-150M-Back_635544918546664000_large.jp

Dang, I didn't notice that! That wall mount, coupled with the fact that the speaker plinth actually puts some space between the speaker and the wall so the port can function, pretty much answers the concerns I had. Thanks!