Guesses on Klipsch's "Biggest Launch in Years" at CES on 01-06-15

Youthman

• Administrators

Chad, question....is the Atmos speaker an add-on?  If not, will an add-on be offered? 

We are planning an addon and an in-cabinet model. I'm unsure about sizes/pricing at this time.

• Like 2

How is it offensive to current Reference owners? These Reference Premiere models look like they should out perform the current Ref ii models(RF-7 aside as no successor has been revealed).

I agree.  I own, and have owned a ton of Reference speakers.  Klipsch could call the new line Klipsch Platinum Series and it wouldn't change how my Reference Speakers sound.  ;)

From what I can see, the new series does have some improvements over the current Reference II Series.  Only time will tell if we will be able to hear those differences.  I've already contacted several "local" dealers to see if / when they will have any of the Premiere Series available for demo.  One dealer has already replied but he has not received any yet.

Can you point me to a dealer that will have these please.

It's just one click and a few phone calls / emails away.  ;)

CHAD Moray has the right to express his opinions, just as anyone else. He makes valid points, from the perspective of an audiophile, and not from the perspective of an accountant. I have learned a great deal from him and modified very good speakers resulting in excellent speakers.

Moray is a great asset to this community.  He is very knowledgeable, especially in the area of KLF and CF Series.  I think the issue with Chad was that Moray did paint a pretty gloom and doom picture (in several posts) that this will be the end of Klipsch...it's all downhill from here type of statements.  IMO, that's just silliness, ESPECIALLY when we haven't even heard what these speakers sound like.  We haven't even heard if there have been improvements to the crossovers.

Is it mere marketing on Klipsch or are there some significant improvements in the design?  That will be revealed once many have had a chance to hear them with our own ears.  I'm sure Chad would not have become so defensive if there were only one statement but there were quite a few and as others have mentioned, it was getting a bit old. 

With all due respect, you need to be careful that your comments, given your position, do not thwart/chill comments which do not comport with the corporate line.

I don't believe Chad expects everyone to like the new product.  That is an impossible task.  And there's nothing wrong with stating what you don't like about them.  I think it goes back to, "It's not what you say, but how you say it that matters.".  ;)  I guess people have different ways of offering criticism and expressing themselves.  Plus it doesn't help that we are reading words on a screen instead of being able to hear inflection and watch body language.  All of that changes how the message is received as well.  :D

No idea what I can do with that. It does not list this new line anywhere in the search for a dealer who would have them. Its just going to tell me I have a best buy close to me. Been there done that.

So again Chad if you could point me in the right direction that would be great thanks. 

How is it offensive to current Reference owners? These Reference Premiere models look like they should out perform the current Ref ii models(RF-7 aside as no successor has been revealed).

I agree.  I own, and have owned a ton of Reference speakers.  Klipsch could call the new line Klipsch Platinum Series and it wouldn't change how my Reference Speakers sound.  ;)

From what I can see, the new series does have some improvements over the current Reference II Series.  Only time will tell if we will be able to hear those differences.  I've already contacted several "local" dealers to see if / when they will have any of the Premiere Series available for demo.  One dealer has already replied but he has not received any yet.

Can you point me to a dealer that will have these please.

It's just one click and a few phone calls / emails away.  ;)

CHAD Moray has the right to express his opinions, just as anyone else. He makes valid points, from the perspective of an audiophile, and not from the perspective of an accountant. I have learned a great deal from him and modified very good speakers resulting in excellent speakers.

Moray is a great asset to this community.  He is very knowledgeable, especially in the area of KLF and CF Series.  I think the issue with Chad was that Moray did paint a pretty gloom and doom picture (in several posts) that this will be the end of Klipsch...it's all downhill from here type of statements.  IMO, that's just silliness, ESPECIALLY when we haven't even heard what these speakers sound like.  We haven't even heard if there have been improvements to the crossovers.

Is it mere marketing on Klipsch or are there some significant improvements in the design?  That will be revealed once many have had a chance to hear them with our own ears.  I'm sure Chad would not have become so defensive if there were only one statement but there were quite a few and as others have mentioned, it was getting a bit old. 

With all due respect, you need to be careful that your comments, given your position, do not thwart/chill comments which do not comport with the corporate line.

I don't believe Chad expects everyone to like the new product.  That is an impossible task.  And there's nothing wrong with stating what you don't like about them.  I think it goes back to, "It's not what you say, but how you say it that matters.".  ;)  I guess people have different ways of offering criticism and expressing themselves.  Plus it doesn't help that we are reading words on a screen instead of being able to hear inflection and watch body language.  All of that changes how the message is received as well.  :D

Youth you seem to be speaking for Chad quite a bit don't you think?  :rolleyes:

• Moderators
No idea what I can do with that. It does not list this new line anywhere in the search for a dealer who would have them. Its just going to tell me I have a best buy close to me. Been there done that.

It says there are 3 dealers near you with email and phone numbers.  Check with them to see if they will be carrying the new line.  That's what I did with the ones near me. 

Found 3 Authorized Dealers Near You:

When I was getting prices on pro speakers 904s I must have emailed more than 20 different dealers that klipsch had listed as pro line dealers. Around 5 or more of them said they don't carry klipsch pro line and a few said they don't even sell klipsch. A few didn't even sell speakers at all! And some didn't even respond, So I called and left vm and still no cb. My point is klipsch needs to work on that dealer locator big time. it was a lot of work just finding dealers that sell them based on what klipsch has listed. In fact I ended up going with a dealer that a forum member recommended. Now I did get a few prices but for how many people I emailed it was a joke. So I won't be using that again tell it works thanks :) 

• Administrators

Thanks for your feedback. We have a HUGE list of dealers and it's very difficult to keep it all up to date all the time. I plan an overhaul of that locator with the klipsch.com design refresh that is coming soon.

The pic on top is an "integrated" Atmos speaker.  I'm not sure of the model name, but think of it as a "RP-820FA".

The pic on the bottom shows an "add on" Atmos speaker - just the small box on top - in case you have existing Klipsch speakers and want to add Atmos.

I have heard the one on top with the Dolby Atmos demo material.  It works. I also heard the same setup (with the integrated Atmos channels disconnected) but using in ceiling speakers.  Both setups work brilliantly.  The in-ceiling speakers give a more "pin point" localization, and the integrated solution slightly less so, but still fully realized.

There is very little Atmos content on BD right now but more is coming (One "Atmos" BD that we tested that is on the market had no discernible Atmos content in out testing... all the other speakers were disconnected just to prove it.)

Looks like maybe the Atmos will have some with the speaker on top and some flush mounted?

B6s1TL1CQAAHmlx.jpg

ces_new_products_atmos_2.jpg

There are all sorts of discussions happening at AVSForum regarding Atmos and everyone seems to be impressed. Both the onceiling and upfiring got good reviews and the new Dolby Surround processing on Atmos designed AVRs for non-Atmos encoded material has achieved universal "thumbs up."

Seriously, I was expecting more criticism.  

In regard to the sound of the new Reference Premiere line...

I have been living with a pair of RP-260F's for a couple weeks now. (The rest of the surround system isn't setup yet - right now I'm using an old Adcom tuner-preamp and Adcom 2535 60W/ch power amp - clean, quiet, and a good amount of current capability.  If I told you how much power I have measured on the bench in BTL mode into 4 Ohms you wouldn't believe me, but rest assured it handles the paralleled woofer load just fine.)

The "room" is not a regular shape, but the pair is operating into about 4000 cubic feet and flanking my 61" Mitsu DLP.

Dialogue and vocal clarity is typical Klipsch, but the sound is very natural with instruments.  At low volume "background" levels you just go about your day and they don't draw any attention to themselves or become fatiguing.  I had family and a couple friends invite themselves over on my birthday while the RP-260F's played FM radio.  Usually I have to turn the music WAY down during such occasions, to where the sound becomes muffled, for people to have conversations, however I had a new experience - I left the music at normal background level, the conversations continued and I could still enjoy the music.

60W/ch is plenty of power - I don't see "needing" any more power than that with these towers to really crank out big sound in average sized family rooms.  When the clipping indicators on the amp finally blinked I was beyond the SPL level I would listen at even when I wanted to listen to LOUD music.  At this level there are no sounds of straining, not even from the low bass, which by the way has great extension and output for a system with 6.5" woofers. (I'm not using a subwoofer yet.)  The highs are equally well extended with no sense of harshness.

As far as listening comparisons, at $1050 a pair, I would like to A/B these with the Jamo C97 and C109 - I've been pretty impressed with those systems too, though the latter is quite a bit more expensive.

Edited by Andy W