Motorhome 5.1 Speakers

Hypoxia

I'm thinking it's time to replace the factory Panasonic speakers in the motorhome.  In a small speaker, is there anything better (no bigger) than the Klipsch Quintet?  The Quintet is physically about an inch larger than the current speakers and I can't fit anything any larger than them.

• Like 1

You say 5.1 in a motorhome?  I would think all-speakers stereo, or mono would be a better solution.  Also, how much hi-fidelity or loudness do you require?  How much power is pushing your speakers?

Edited by wvu80

My favorite little speaker is the Realistic Minimus 7W,  8"tall x 5"wide x 4.5"deep

The 7W has a wooden enclosure where as the regular 7 is metal.  If you need really small speakers these are seriously impressive. Supposedly the earlier versions that were Made in Japan have better parts in them, newer ones were made in Korea and then Taiwan.

Edited by finallygotmyheresies

You say 5.1 in a motorhome?  I would think all-speakers stereo, or mono would be a better solution.  Also, how much hi-fidelity or loudness do you require?  How much power is pushing your speakers?

It came that way from the factory and sounds pretty good considering the speakers.  The current system is an LG LHB953 http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio-video/lg-LHB953-home-theater-system but uses the original Panasonic speakers and sub.  I just noticed the amp says 4 ohm at the speaker connection.  There is plenty of volume now so I don't think that would be an issue.

Amplifier

Stereo mode: 155 W + 155 W (4Ω at 1 KHz, THD 10%)

Surround mode: Left+Right: 155 W + 155 W (THD 10%)

Center: 155 W

Surround: 155 W + 155 W

(4Ω at 1 KHz, THD 10%)

Subwoofer: 225 W (3Ω at 30 Hz, THD 10%)

Edited by Hypoxia

How big can you handle for each speaker (how big are the quintents)?  I have a brand new in box set of Polk 5.1 speakers that I am not using. 

The Quintets are:  Satellite   8.3" H x 5" W x 6.3" D        Center: 5" H x 12" W x 6" D

What are the Polk's?

I've heard great things about the RSX series. The RSX-3 satellites seem to fit your size requirements:

http://www.klipsch.com/rsx-3-bookshelf-speaker/details

Here's some on Ebay at a great price!!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RSX-3-Home-theater-surround-5-Speakers-System-/351250545911?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item51c829fcf7

• Like 1

How big can you handle for each speaker (how big are the quintents)?  I have a brand new in box set of Polk 5.1 speakers that I am not using. 

The Quintets are:  Satellite   8.3" H x 5" W x 6.3" D        Center: 5" H x 12" W x 6" D

What are the Polk's?

The RM 85's.  BNIB. 

Says

2 RM8 satellite

1 RM8 Center

2 RM7 settellite

Plus all brackets.  All still sealed. 

• 2 months later...

Wow!  That's all I can say about the Quintet speakers now that I've spent some time in the camper.  The sound is incredible. 

Now I need some input on a passive subwoofer to replace the Panasonic one.  I say passive as I frequently camp without power and am limited to the amount provided by 6 golf car 6 volt batteries.

Wow!  That's all I can say about the Quintet speakers now that I've spent some time in the camper.  The sound is incredible. 

Now I need some input on a passive subwoofer to replace the Panasonic one.  I say passive as I frequently camp without power and am limited to the amount provided by 6 golf car 6 volt batteries.

Passive? It seems to me the best you could do is a small horn loaded sub which would require very little power.  The BFM Table Tuba with an 8" driver can be as small as 12" x 30" x 30" (There is also a long version which would be 60" x 15" x 12"). With a 100 watt plate amp it would draw a little more than one AMP (at 120VAC) to generate it's maximum 114db at frequencies between 30-60Hz. This is before cabin gain.

Edited by mustang guy

OK, so you are using the LG to power everything. You need a sub without an amp. Easy...

I have a few questions:

Are you a do it yourselfer?  

How big of a space can you fit a sub into the camper?

Is the Panasonic sub that came with the LG system not loud enough, not have enough bass, or just not working?

Since a camper and low power will stress every one of Hofman's Iron Laws, something will have to give. You will need to give more space, more power, or give up of the lower frequency bass.

Passive? It seems to me the best you could do is a small horn loaded sub which would require very little power.  The BFM Table Tuba with an 8" driver can be as small as 12" x 30" x 30" (There is also a long version which would be 60" x 15" x 12"). With a 100 watt plate amp it would draw a little more than one AMP (at 120VAC) to generate it's maximum 114db at frequencies between 30-60Hz. This is before cabin gain.

A T-18 is about a 19" cube.  I run one with my bedroom Lascalas.  Everyone always forgets about that one.  For what he's doing, an autotuba might even work.

• Like 1

I built an Auto Tuba once, and it was pretty nice, but that was in a 69 Camaro and got a lot of help from cabin gain. The curve is pretty dependent on that cabin gain:

JBL.gif

The table tuba is capable of frequencies below 30Hz. The T-18 drops sharply at about 38Hz. For movies, that's not so hot. For music it would be rockin, especially with it's great efficiency.

Edited by mustang guy