R-115SW

EKBI

I am curious if anyone has heard this 115 in person also... there is a lot of bashing of bigger klipsch subs, yet I bet many have not heard them.

the new R version seems well made and good to look at. Similar specs to the SW115, but I dont see how it can sound similar because the drivers are different.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 2

They should still sound very similar especially in the low registry.  If the old and new are design to play the same frequencies with the same cleaness I would expect little difference.  I don't believe in musical subs and such.  It is either well made and setup correctly or not. :P  Congrats EKBI!

• Like 1

I believe there are plenty of good examples of "musical" subs vs say, home theater type subs. The RSW line compared to the small Sunfire line for example. Similar in design but the RSW  are clearly for the music lovers and the Sunfires more for theater action or below 40hz fill for full range mains.

It's like it sounds better in 2 different places when either listening to music or movies.

Your room will have peaks and nulls due to the length of the sound waves produced by the subwoofer.  Bass traps help somewhat.  To make your listening position in a peak, put the sub where you normally sit and play some bass heavy media.  Go around the outside of the room (close to the floor) and see where it sounds best.  Put your sub there.

I am curious if anyone has heard this 115 in person also... there is a lot of bashing of bigger klipsch subs, yet I bet many have not heard them.

the new R version seems well made and good to look at. Similar specs to the SW115, but I dont see how it can sound similar because the drivers are different.

I have two of them. You're exactly right, lots of bashing and b.s. calling from people who have never heard them. They have their pros and cons.

Personally I feel they are great for an easy cost effective solution for lfe in movies for the lowest AUDIBLE frequencies.

I dont like the finish and theyre not as musical as my 18's. I lose nuances, tightness, and kick as compared to my two sealed 18's. but, for 20 something hz they crank out as much or probably more than my 18's.

For some reason they dont sound right up front though. I like them behind my seats. My 18's are the opposite, probably sealed vs. Ported, I dont know.

Disclaimer: this is my OPINION based on real life handling. I care not to get into a debate about them again. You know who you are.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Personally I feel they are great for an easy cost effective solution for lfe in movies for the lowest AUDIBLE frequencies.

I dont like the finish and theyre not as musical as my 18's. I lose nuances, tightness, and kick as compared to my two sealed 18's. but, for 20 something hz they crank out as much or probably more than my 18's.

For some reason they dont sound right up front though. I like them behind my seats. My 18's are the opposite, probably sealed vs. Ported, I dont know.

Disclaimer: this is my OPINION based on real life handling. I care not to get into a debate about them again. You know who you are.

lol. I will leave you alone this time metro
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, the new line is an all around improvement. A lot of work went into driver design for the new subs, and it's clearly audible. Distortion has been greatly improved, and while that might reduce some of the "thickness", it also means that when you turn the system up, the sub doesn't get bloated. Are they watt for watt "louder"? Perhaps not. They do however, make an amazing amount of bass given their size. When the volume goes up, the control remains. To me, that indicates a strong improvement.

• Like 3

Metro had these subs as he is a dealer so has them for demo in his home and he already staed these being a bit muddy in the upper frequencies. So since you are a two channel guy schu I'd say muddy subs are not gonna be up your alley.

They do however, make an amazing amount of bass given their size.

I agree with both of these, for a 15 in a relatively small box and only 400 watts rms, they crank out a ton of LFE on movies. I think they are great to compliment some towers as they begin to roll off in the really low frequencies. This part is what I don't understand why people disagree when they haven't heard them. These things kick out some amazingly loud bass at 20-40 hz especially on the lower end of that for what they are. They just do, the drivers can flex hard and the port cranks out a ton of bass. It's a super easy and cost effective solution to get some surprisingly solid LFE's in movies. It sounds really, really good in its element, assuming you find the sweet spot in your room. I'm an old school bass head, I know what good bass sounds like, and these can sound killer down low especially for what they are.

However, the tightness and definition is lacking in rock music as compared to my sealed 18's. 60-80 hz is kinda boomy and muddy comparatively. I am a big fan of bass guitars so I like to hear the bass amp's tubes growl but they get washed out, once again, comparatively. I don't get a super tight kick on kick drums either, it's slower and doesn't have a sharp attack. If I cross over at 80, the upper end of that almost sounds like there are some cabinet resonances, sometimes effects on the upper end of that are annoyingly boomy. I like to cross over lower than 80 with these because of that, but that makes bass drums even worse.

Keep in mind that this is being directly compared to two now broken-in 18's in a sealed box with an amp that has a claimed 4,400 watts rms (probably more like 3,000 realistically) and 6,000 watts peak powering them. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. My opinion on the two is the exact opposite of what I expected, I figured the 15's would be better for music and the 18's better for down low but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So yeah, for two channel music I'd probably do something else. For LFE in movies, they are nice.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I haven't heard the 12" or 10" but i really like the 15". It sounds perfect with the reference 62II system..

You Can hear when it kicks in, but in a Way you wont notice. And has A LOT of power!

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

• Like 1