Ugly Cornwalls

craigtone

I picked these up in a trade and they sound great but look terrible!  The previous owner painted them flat black to hide them in the front of his home theater.  When I got them they already had the Crites' upgraded crossover parts and tweeter diaphragms.  Someone had also repaired a dustup on one woofer and replaced the surround on the other.  Last night I replaced the midrange diaphragms to get rid of a harshness I had on one side.  They now sound incredible so I want to invest a little effort into making them look as good as they sound!

These are the oddballs with the flush baffle and no grilles.  There does not appear to be any veneer on them as I can see the plywood edges under the paint.  I read through the forums here and am thinking of using lacquer thinner to strip the paint and then just hit them with some tung oil.

Does anyone know what these look like under this ugly black paint?  (pics would be nice)

Is it worth the effort or should I just sand and veneer?

I am leery of the veneer as I do plan to sell them next year so I can upgrade to some Khorns and don't want to devalue them.  Hence trying to find out what they should look like so I can restore them properly.

post-24392-0-50240000-1419015265_thumb.j

• Like 1

These are the oddballs with the flush baffle and no grilles.

Called 'Decorators'.  It's possible to find Heresy, Cornwall, and Klipschorn in this style.  I believe the wood underneath yours is Birch Plywood (no veneer).  It will be hard getting all that black out of every pore and crevice.

They sold a lot of them raw, meaning no finish.  The first owner could put on whatever finish desired.

Edited by Rivernuggets

I picked these up in a trade and they sound great but look terrible!  The previous owner painted them flat black to hide them in the front of his home theater.  When I got them they already had the Crites' upgraded crossover parts and tweeter diaphragms.  Someone had also repaired a dustup on one woofer and replaced the surround on the other.  Last night I replaced the midrange diaphragms to get rid of a harshness I had on one side.  They now sound incredible so I want to invest a little effort into making them look as good as they sound!

These are the oddballs with the flush baffle and no grilles.  There does not appear to be any veneer on them as I can see the plywood edges under the paint.  I read through the forums here and am thinking of using lacquer thinner to strip the paint and then just hit them with some tung oil.

Does anyone know what these look like under this ugly black paint?  (pics would be nice)

Is it worth the effort or should I just sand and veneer?

I am leery of the veneer as I do plan to sell them next year so I can upgrade to some Khorns and don't want to devalue them.  Hence trying to find out what they should look like so I can restore them properly.

ugly??? I think that decorator CW even in black look stunning. Best regards Moray James.

Sometimes the effort is not worth it in terms of return. I guess it would depend on how much one would expect to gain versus time and materials you'd have to invest. The Raw Birch finish usually does not bring in top dollar as compared to the veneered w/ grill cover versions, from what I've seen anyway. If you're just looking to sell you might just be better off selling "as is" unless you have lots time on your hands or just want the experience. My .02, good luck!

• Like 1

i have had a couple pairs of Decorator Cornwalls. In fact the one on the left in finallygotmyheresies post were originally mine. The last pair I had I finished in piano-black. Lots of coats of black laquer and clearcoat. BTW I sold them for top dollar.  The looked somewhat lie the ones on the far right in th finallygoymyheresies post - only with a much better finish. 

If I were you, I would either do what Justin suggests - buid a frame and but some speaker cloth on the front, or do what i did and finish them properly in black.

Josh