Receivers for streaming music - for a friend

tigerwoodKhorns

I guess this goes hand in hand with the thread Thadius started. 

I am going to explore the route that Thad took, looks like a good solution for me with the Raspberry. 

I have a freind who is just getting into audio and he has a pair of JBL L100's that he bought new when he was a teenager. 

I lent him (offered to give it to him) a Panasonic SA XR25.  I figured that he can get started and enjoy the nice sounding digitial amps in it.  Before even hooking it up he went to a local stereo store and the salesman had him about to pull the trigger on a NAD M12 (and it seems that they did not make it entirely clear that this is a preamp only).  I told him to please back off and get his direction straight.  We have all been there and I do not want him to make a $3500 (without amp) impulse decision, especially for JBL L100's.  These speakers will work great with compressed music, but I can't see putting a really expensive front end on them. 

Here are his goals.  Music streaming that is plug and play.  If he gets into the hobby more, he may upgrade speakers (I'll go through the whole crap in crap out thing with him later and the issues with high resolution systems). 

So I found a few receivers on closeout.  One is the Denon 4520 for about $1100 (I think that I can find a better deal on this).  I think that that receiver will allow a NAS or external dirve and has a nice streaming option using a tablet.  Another is a closout on a Denon 4000. 

Can anyone help out here?  You know how it is when you are just starting and itching to buy something, I justy can't watch him spend full retail on the NAD (unless that is truely what he wants - in that case I'm pretty sure he can still get it for full retail later). 

Any other options?  maybe the Panasonic with a streaming solution.  He also looked at the Sonos, which may be what he wants, but that seems like it is overpriced and will become outdated.  Plus he will still need a receiver. 

• Like 1

That NAD unit is nice... I was looking at them on ebay for a pre but I wanted to save money, do the same thing and have somem internal amplification for rears, which also kept me away from the 8801 Marantz.

Don't most of the newer intergrateds have streaming capabilities at a fraction of the cost of that unit.... including the newer elite Pioneers?

Edited by Schu

Seriously . . . out of the gate the Denon 4520 would be an amazing start. At the price point of $1100 or less, not only getting an AVR with all of the streaming options (and Airplay), but the amp is a beast and top performer. An the versatility of setup options is nearly myriad.

I have the predecessor Denon 4311, which is almost the same thing. I use an 11 channel setup (with an amp for the fronts) in an all Heritage setup. I use the DENON for music streaming about 50% of the time (25% movies and 25% 2 channel vinyl).

There is an exceptional owner thread on avs for th receiver.

And, I love the denon sound.

As a starter for a beginner, I would get the DENON 4520 and never look back. All the bells and whistles for streaming. I most often run th Pe whole thing (remote apps and all though Airplay) on my iPhone or wirelessly through my home network on my Windows laptop.

The addition of an AppleTV gave me exceptional video streaming options too for the HT.

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 1

I don't know.  I think that they do.  You have the newest Pioneer.

I think that the denon 4000 or the 4520 have built in streaming. 

the Pioneer elite SC series has Airplay, an ESS 9018 DAC and is network capable... I got my SC85 for $1000 shipped.

the class D amp is black as black can be for sound floor and even though I use separates via pre outs, they have good CLEAN sound with no coloration.

The MCACC correction has been wonderful also.

I would assume most of the other integrateds are also just as capable. that NAS is great, but I could not justify the cost as a pre only.

Edited by Schu

I don't know.  I think that they do.  You have the newest Pioneer.

I think that the denon 4000 or the 4520 have built in streaming. 

the Pioneer elite SC series has Airplay, an ESS 9018 DAC and is network capable... I got my SC85 for $1000 shipped.

the class D amp is black as black can be for sound floor and even though I use separates via pre outs, they have good CLEAN sound with no coloration.

The MCACC correction has been wonderful also.

I would assume most of the other integrateds are also just as capable. that NAS is great, but I could not justify the cost as a pre only.

Schu,

Have you used the streaming yet?  How easy is it to use and what do you need? 

Rheator,

Same questions about the Denon. 

Here is a quick comparison of the two AVRs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WATMAd5aHaA/compare_033AV4520C_130SC85/Denon-AVR-4520CI-vs-Pioneer-Elite-SC-85.html

I have a Pioneer Elite in my second setup. Just never much cared for the built-in MCACC correction software in the Pioneer.

One advantage of the SC85 sit that it is ATMOS ready if someone desires that.

I also, with Klipsch speakers, prefer the Denon sound over my Pioneer Elite sound.

On my DEnon, I use the streaming features everyday from day one. Seamless and great. Streaming is a cakewalk on the Denon . . . when I got an iPhone and an iPad, I bought an AppleTV for video streaming because we cut the cord with cable. Best move I ever made. (my wife likes the Roku attached to it.)

I run my Denon audio and video streaming from my iPhone and control the DENON on an iPhone with an app (can do all that with an iPad). I have a Windows laptop also hooked up with the Denon for iTunes music and movies wirelessly, with an addition of an HDMI cable from the Windows TV through the Denon to mirror whatever I am doing on my laptop (like 3D games, etc) to take advantage of the Denon internal DACs. Etc., etc.

It is a whole new world. My next AVR will be another Denon . . . but I still have 2 more years of warranty on my current Denon before I will upgrade again.

One feature I really like on the DENON is the capability to run multichannel streaming music pretty much every day. But also, for 2 channel, the DENON shines with Klipsch.

All is just my personal preference.

the 4520s are on close out and deals can be had.

But, I am sure if one wanted ATMOS (not desired by me) a discount SC85 might be preferred over the 4520. If ATMOS is not a must, I would go with a 4520 from an authorized dealer nd get the 3 year warranty that comes with it.

Either way, the 4520 or the SC85 are both good choices.

Here is a quick comparison of the two AVRs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WATMAd5aHaA/compare_033AV4520C_130SC85/Denon-AVR-4520CI-vs-Pioneer-Elite-SC-85.html

I have a Pioneer Elite in my second setup. Just never much cared for the built-in MCACC correction software in the Pioneer.

I also, with Klipsch speakers, prefer the Denon sound over my Pioneer Elite sound.

On my DEnon, I use the streaming features everyday from day one. Seamless and great. Streaming is a cakewalk on the Denon . . . when I got an iPhone and an iPad, I bought an AppleTV for video streaming because we cut the cord with cable. Best move I ever made. (my wife likes the Roku attached to it.)

I run my Denon audio and video streaming from my iPhone and control the DENON on an iPhone with an app (can do all that with an iPad). I have a Windows laptop also hooked up with the Denon for iTunes music and movies wirelessly, with an addition of an HDMI cable from the Windows TV through the Denon to mirror whatever I am doing on my laptop (like 3D games, etc) to take advantage of the Denon internal DACs. Etc., etc.

It is a whole new world. My next AVR will be another Denon . . . but I still have 2 more years of warranty on my current Denon before I will upgrade again.

One feature I really like on the DENON is the capability to run multichannel streaming music pretty much every day. But also, for 2 channel, the DENON shines with Klipsch.

But, I am sure if one wanted ATMOS (not desired by me) a discount SC85 might be preferred over the 4520. If ATMOS is not a must, I would go with a 4520 from an authorized dealer nd get the 3 year warranty that comes with it.

Thanks. 

The Denon can be controlled with an Android phone or tablet rigth?  Or does the airplay and all of that stuff just work with Apple products (whcih he is trying to get away from)? 

Here is a quick comparison of the two AVRs:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WATMAd5aHaA/compare_033AV4520C_130SC85/Denon-AVR-4520CI-vs-Pioneer-Elite-SC-85.html

Thanks. 

The Denon can be controlled with an Android phone or tablet rigth?  Or does the airplay and all of that stuff just work with Apple products (whcih he is trying to get away from)?

There is probably a Denon AVR control app for android/tablets to control the AVR itself; but I think Airplay only works with Apple phones/iPads/wireless iPods/macs and Windows PCs with iTunes. Airplay is an Apple software product.

Shu . . . are you using Airplay on your Pioneer with android products?

Airplay works great for streaming through iTunes from the Denon from my Windows laptop . . . but Airplay wireless streaming only works on that Windows laptap through iTunes.

But the DENON also has all the bells and whistles for Pandora, Rhapsody, Internet radio, DNLA, etc., built-in.

I did find this post that solves how to use Airplay on android devices with 3rd party apps.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-stream-anything-from-android-to-airplay-1578516449

And this app on Google Play to control the DENON AVR itself on Android stuff.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compute4you.remotecontrol&hl=en

Turns out he has an Iphone so he is OK. 

I think he is going to order the Denon.  They are getting scarace. 

Thanks for all of your help everyone. 

Now I need to get back to Thad's thread and worry about my system.

He will be happy with it.