Thicker wire inside Cornwall 2s to increase performance?

bsacco1

You may not hear it, but it can't hurt (if you do it well), plus, you'll know that there's some good quality inside.  Whenever I upgrade my crossovers, I always upgrade the internal connections.  I usually do these kinds of things during the winter months, when I'm looking for projects.....

When i got my wife Khorns home, i went ahead and inspected wiring/connections, found loose crimps on tweet and some badly soldered wire(s).

If you replace, at least you will KNOW wire and connections are good to go.

Waiting for my Crites upgrade crossovers gave me time to do this.

• Like 1

People argue here all the time about the value of changing speaker wire. To me, the key failure place would be the connections themselves. Some metals which are dissimilar cause corrosion which in turn causes resistance at the point where the 2 metals contact each-other. Oxygen and moisture can cause copper to oxidize, which does the same thing. An oxygen free cable is better than one that isn't for this simple reason. Silver is the most conductive metal, but it it prone to oxidization. Gold isn't quite as conductive, but it does not oxidize. DeOxit is a good product because it coats copper with a thin film of conductive oil and it also boils away the existing corrosion.

The size of the wire, especially in a short run like from the network to the driver, isn't terribly important. A 14 gauge wire is more than enough for the task.

Here is a simple graph for metal corrosion properties:

galvaniccorr_chart.gif

• Like 1

I rewired my Cornscalas with Analysis Plus Hook Up wire I got for cheap the last time we were in Flint, MI to see my in-laws (Today's Audio just before he closed). At the time I bought it I didn't have a project for it but stowed it away anyhow.

Can't say or not that this cable was pivotal to the CS's sound but at least I'm not having builder's remorse for having not done it.

Edited by Mighty Favog