Atmos theater

mustang guy

I drove an hour and a half to see Hobbit in an Atmos theater. Now for you city slickers it may not be a big deal, but the reclining power leather seat and the 3 story high screen made an impact on me. It was like comparing a drive in to an iMax. Amazing in every way. Here are some shots of the inside of the theater:

COtJ13Ul.jpg

qrSYItvl.jpg

BkZ07s9l.jpg

oUZFh2fl.jpg

zjbbSACl.jpg

Here, I grabbed a sound measurement. I was sitting in about the middle of the place as I could be. This was the peak levels of one of the movie previews. I think it was the Kingsmen.

HXJc2vml.png

• Like 4

Nice shots of the theater.  It looks as if the surround loudspeakers are mounted away from the walls/ceiling, as such to decouple the other theaters from structure-borne sound conduction.  You'd think that they'd design the walls of each theater to be decoupled from each other so that they don't have to mount the loudspeakers off from the walls.

I also note the subwoofer-shaped box near the ceiling about 3/4 of the way back from the screen.  Could you see if they were subs -- or emergency lights, etc?

By any measure--that's a lot of loudspeakers across the walls.

Chris

• Like 1

As for the audio experience. It was very good. The bass was a bit better than most theaters, perhaps due to the additional subs. The movie wasn't Atmos I don't believe, but there were a couple of trailers that were. It was neat, but it didn't seem like it was as immersive as it should have been. Perhaps the ceiling and the rear surrounds could use a couple db boost during the flyover demo part. 

When a good Atmos movie comes out in this theater, I will go back up and do a real review. The reason I didn't go into much this time was because I felt it more important to report on the strengths. It is a big beautiful comfortable clean theater.  They didn't dim the lights quite enough for my taste, the Atmos either wasn't tuned correctly, or it aint that great in the first place. I couldn't see the little logo on the speakers, so I don't know who made them. The behind the screen voices were excellent. Better than my LaScalas. I'd say something like a 402 back there. (Heck, this is an Atmos, there were probably 5 behind the screen.

• Like 1