300b amp and heresy?

ridethefader

first post here. 

let me start this off by saying that i recently went from running an old carver receiver and some nht bookshelves to completely upgrading my amp/pre amp to a pair of welbourbe lab mono block 300b amps and an EAR 834 L Deluxe amp. I found myself in a sudden need for much more efficient speakers. I paired the tube gear with some heresy 1's. I bought all this gear in a week on a road trip back home. i spent a few days staying with a friend where we had everything set up and it sounded amazing with the heresys on the floor in a small room. after finally getting them set up at home they don't sound nearly as good. I've tried a lot of different placements but just not the same.  the room they are set up is also small. i tried on the floor and with risers. too make things even more complicated, I'm moving in 2-3 weeks into a loft style place with cement walls and a rather large room. will they hold up in an environment like that? should i consider cornwalls or something else?where they are currently set up i seemed to lose some low with a slightly more harsh high end. 

thanks guys!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place.  Many forumites have similar setups as yours, and I am sure they will be weighing in with specific suggestions.

My vote is for patience.  You have good gear, and I wouldn't spend a lot of time detailing the setup in a place from which you will be moving in a few weeks.  Get set up in the new place, and if there are setup questions, that might be a better time to nail down some detailed ideas.  The room environment is 50% of the sound.

An original Heresy is about a 10Ω minimum load, and may be connected to the 16Ω tap on most 300B amplifiers.

Consider mounting them upside down in the upper corners of the room for best bass.

Edited by djk

Welcome to the forums!

You can do a simple mod to the crossovers in the original Heresy, and bring the mids down a little bit. They may sound way more balanced this way. Unless cranked really loud, I found the regular Heresy to be too forward and more bass shy. Especially if powering them with 300B amps (I have Weloborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs... would love to hear the 300B amps).

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Single-ended 300Bs and Heresies can be an outstanding combination -- with the usual qualifications of listening habits and preferences and other associated equipment (which includes your listening environment). I own Heresies and La Scalas (and Klipschorns in the past past), and the Heresy I for me may in fact be the overall most satisfactory and enjoyable of the three.

so i recapped the heresies. the mids were greatly improved. and I'm getting a touch more bass response. the room i have them is actually pretty dry. i think the biggest problem with the heresies is that i found some cornwalls for 300 bucks and I'm running those in place of the heresies for now. the cornwalls need some need as far as the cabinets but they sound amazing.