Please help: KL RF7II or KL 650?

khactuyen

Audessey even tries to cross mine over at 40 hz. I flex the crap out of mine on concert blu rays with no problems. I don't know why your friends setup doesn't sound "warm" in this sense of the word. Warm doesn't equate to accurate speech though. Too warm and lower voices can sound boomy with an exaggerated lower end which I've been struggling with.

The center channel should not be XO below 60 Hz. A higher XO may be needed. This will keep some of the bass out of the voices and decrease boominess. One day, I will get to hear a THX system.

eh skip the thx and go straight for cinema Derrick!

The center channel should not be XO below 60 Hz.  A higher XO may be needed. This will keep some of the bass out of the voices and decrease boominess.  One day, I will get to hear a THX system.

Just because it tries doesn't mean I let it. :) The boominess was there even crossed over at 100 hz. I typically keep it on 80 although I tried 60 for awhile. I need to try some room treatments. Last night I brought them away from the wall about 6" more and surprisingly that made a noticeable difference, the boominess on speech improved/decreased just from doing that. I don't think it is a crossover issue, it is something to do with my setup and room.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Yes cinema stuff is HUGE. And not very living room friendly. They are large ugly black boxes. But they are on an entire different level than reference stuff. If you are aeriously going to look into then. Look into the kpt-325 and kpt-904. Those two models are the best ones you could get for home use. A few of is in here have the 904's. I moved from the thx ultra set to them. Night and day difference. Another guy moved from the 7ii and 64ii. Night and day for him as well. They really are that good.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a crossover issue, it is something to do with my setup and room.

Setup has a lot to do with the bass.  My RF 7's ran as large have excessive bass since they are close to the wall and near a corner.  I guess that is why so many people say pull them out around 1 1/2 ft. and keep center channels out of enclosed cabinets.  My RC 64 sits on top of the stand.  It would look better in an enclosed cabinet but, may not work as well.

Yes cinema stuff is HUGE. And not very living room friendly. They are large ugly black boxes. But they are on an entire different level than reference stuff. If you are aeriously going to look into then. Look into the kpt-325 and kpt-904. Those two models are the best ones you could get for home use. A few of is in here have the 904's. I moved from the thx ultra set to them. Night and day difference. Another guy moved from the 7ii and 64ii. Night and day for him as well. They really are that good.

Thanks, Can you give me some information about pro line: How much does it cost? 325 is as good as 904? i can only buy 325 for LCR (i must ship from US)

Let me know.

Edited by khactuyen

Thanks all, who has BW HTM1, KL RC64II and KL 650? the best of them for center?

I have the RC-64ii as well as the previously mentioned KL-650's and RF-7ii. As derrick said, the RC-64ii shouldn't sound harsh. Just like the RF-7ii conversation, I prefer the RC-64ii for concert movies and the KL-650-THX for speech. Regardless, I think you should match whatever mains you get. I tried running a KL-650-THX with my RF-7ii's but it was a little weird, the center sounded dead comparatively since it is so flat. Running a B&W center would be even weirder in my opinion.

Hi, KL 650 is warmer than RC64? 650 is better than RC 64 in voice (for me it is the best importand for center), i had RC64ii but sold after 5 months used.

BW HTM1 i hear alot from my friend, it is super clear, sounded real and warmest.

i feel RF7ii is warmer than RC64ii alot (compare A-B)

I will get RF7 for front.

Please give me some advice about choising KL650 or HTM for center.

Thanks.

Over and over again . . . the RC64ii is the voiced matched center for RF7iis . . . the only possible better center would be a 3rd RF7ii.

• Like 1

Over and over again . . . the RC64ii is the voiced matched center for RF7iis . . . the only possible better center would be a 3rd RF7ii.

Thanks, but i can get 3 KL650 for LCR (RF7II i can return to my friend) if KL650 is better RC64ii.
you have already been told by most of us here that the kl-650 is better for movies.

You asked about cinema pricing. I'm guessing you are out of the us? If so you'll have to contact you local cinema dealer if you have one. Us prices are around 1200 for kpt-325 and 1500$ for 904. Either will smoke check the kl-650, rc-64ii rf-7ii.

Thanks, but i can get 3 KL650 for LCR (RF7II i can return to my friend) if KL650 is better RC64ii.

The KL650 is NOT a better center for the RF7s. The RC64 is the better center for the RF7s.

+1 for the price you can't get better new speakers with the klipsch name on it. I could never go back to a non pro style speaker.  If you want really big sound like a movie theater these are it. My projector and screen were far an away the biggest upgrade to my ht. But after I upgraded to the pro line its a pretty close tie as the biggest upgrade I have made. The size of the sound is mind boggling.

And if they aren't going to be hiding behind a screen they can be made to look pretty cool with a little money. But they will stick out being that they are massive in size. 

• Like 1

Warm doesn't equate to accurate speech though. Too warm and lower voices can sound boomy with an exaggerated lower end which I've been struggling with.

Could not agree more.  I spent countless hours tweaking my system to get my RC-64(warmer) to timber match my RF-63's(neutral) and feel I now have accomplished that.  It took changing amps from B&K(warmish) to all Acurus(neutral) and running Audyssey MultEQ XT in my NAD pre/pro and manually EQ'ing more the RC-64 by adding a 4dB boost to the "Center Dialog" setting to increase the "presence" of the midrange for clearer speech.

Not perfect but pretty darn close.

Bill

Warm doesn't equate to accurate speech though. Too warm and lower voices can sound boomy with an exaggerated lower end which I've been struggling with.

Could not agree more.  I spent countless hours tweaking my system to get my RC-64(warmer) to timber match my RF-63's(neutral) and feel I now have accomplished that.  It took changing amps from B&K(warmish) to all Acurus(neutral) and running Audyssey MultEQ XT in my NAD pre/pro and manually EQ'ing more the RC-64 by adding a 4dB boost to the "Center Dialog" setting to increase the "presence" of the midrange for clearer speech.

Not perfect but pretty darn close.

Bill

What was the matching center for the RF63?  

What was the matching center for the RF63?  

The RC-64 of course.

I am sure room placement, sealed design, and crossover points, all factor in the slightly varying tonal differences of the RC-64 and RF-63's that I once experienced.

Bill

• Like 1

you have already been told by most of us here that the kl-650 is better for movies.

You asked about cinema pricing. I'm guessing you are out of the us? If so you'll have to contact you local cinema dealer if you have one. Us prices are around 1200 for kpt-325 and 1500$ for 904. Either will smoke check the kl-650, rc-64ii rf-7ii.

OK, but in my country Klipsch dealer do NOT have any Pro speaker, if buying i must ship from US (shipping cost is quite high).

If THX Ultra 2 is close Pro line, i will get for my room (KL 650 and KS 525; KL650 is lighter)

Thanks.

The THX do a lot of things very well and certainly are worth a listen ! For the real estate they take up , the flexibility they offer,and for WAF they are hard to beat !

I'm sure the 904's are great ! ( I have not heard them ) but they are not a practical solution for many . I'm guessing they will smoke a KL650 but then again I'm guessing there are some other Klipsch speakers that will smoke a 904. The best speaker won't always be the biggest but with Klipsch it usually is. 

That being said the bigger speaker isn't always the best choice . Too many factors involved . My best system is a Pro System but that same system is not the best choice for other rooms.

• Like 2

The THX do a lot of things very well and certainly are worth a listen ! For the real estate they take up , the flexibility they offer,and for WAF they are hard to beat !

I'm sure the 904's are great ! ( I have not heard them ) but they are not a practical solution for many . I'm guessing they will smoke a KL650 but then again I'm guessing there are some other Klipsch speakers that will smoke a 904. The best speaker won't always be the biggest but with Klipsch it usually is. 

That being said the bigger speaker isn't always the best choice . Too many factors involved . My best system is a Pro System but that same system is not the best choice for other rooms.

Hello, do you hear combo RF7ii+RC64II? these is better than KL 650 (LCR),  special in the VOICE? thanks.

Edited by khactuyen

Hello, do you hear combo RF7ii+RC64II? these is better than KL 650 (LCR)? thanks.

My opinion and my opinion only is  the KL650's are better for movies and TV. The RF7's are better for music. You would have to weigh which is more important to you and also factor in placement options, looks , etc.etc

I must add that neither the KL650's or RF7's  are bad at the other but each has its strong points

Edited by Gnote