Best way to attach acoustic foam to wall?

jvs1670

I just got some acoustic foam from the foam factory.  Gonna put a 12" cube in each front corner over my Khorns and then 3 corner bass absorbers surrounding the cube.   

What is the best way to stick it to the wall without damaging my paint or wall if and when I remove it?  Website says T-pins can be used with no spray adhesive but that doesn't seem like that would work.  Has anyone used the spray adhesive before for this and were you able to remove it without damage?

Any other ideas?

• 1 month later...

1.) If this is a temporary thing, just to give it a try, I would suggest painters tape. I'm just not sure how well it will adhere to the foam.

The tape can be rolled into a small circular donuts to offer 360 deg. of sticky, just make the circles small about 2" to 3" dia., no more. You might need to space them pretty tight, like every foot in ea. direction.

2.) If the foam is thick enough, you might get away with making a few small, but strategically located hollowed side cavities (so you don't damage/disturb the outer surface) in the foam, and attach/connect to wall a small screw with a relatively larger flat washer.

3.) Duct tape, and a couple gallons of fresh paint for later.

As Gollum suggested, don't smoke your foam, and you'll be okay.

I've been doing this for 35 years, experimenting in the same room.

If the walls & ceiling are typical drywall the easiest and least damaging method I know is to use long 2" to 3" steel "T" pins, like those used for holding paper & other stuff to fabric panels. The holes they leave a tiny and can be easily spackled in virtually unoticable without painting.

Everything else, tape, adhesives, etc will damage the dyrwall paper surface and you'll regret it. Lots of work to repair!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/344615/Office-Depot-Brand-T-Pins-Pack/

Edited by artto
  • Like 2

I've been doing this for 35 years, experimenting in the same room.

If the walls & ceiling are typical drywall the easiest and least damaging method I know is to use long 2" to 3" steel "T" pins, like those used for holding paper & other stuff to fabric panels. The holes they leave a tiny and can be easily spackled in virtually unoticable without painting.

Everything else, tape, adhesives, etc will damage the dyrwall paper surface and you'll regret it. Lots of work to repair!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/344615/Office-Depot-Brand-T-Pins-Pack/

excellent idea.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/uglu-dashes-roll-793380/

I just tried one of these with a small piece of Auralex acoustic foam. Attached it to my wall (drywall) and it stuck very good. Peeled off easily with no indication it was ever there in the first place.

These are handy to have around the house. Better than temporary but not quite permanent.

I originally bought them to adhere F-11 acoustic felt to the front baffle of my speakers so I could experiment with diffraction. It worked very well.

Edited by SWL

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/uglu-dashes-roll-793380/

I just tried one of these with a small piece of Auralex acoustic foam. Attached it to my wall (drywall) and it stuck very good. Peeled off easily with no indication it was ever there in the first place.

These are handy to have around the house. Better than temporary but not quite permanent.

I originally bought them to adhere F-11 acoustic felt to the front baffle of my speakers so I could experiment with diffraction. It worked very well.

That may be fine in the very short term. But I guarantee you, if you leave that on drywall for some time (unbeknownst due to variability in temperature & humidity conditions, application pressure, type/quality of drywall, etc) - it will eventually leave some damage when removing. Believe me, I've tried it all. T pins are cheap, easy, and they don't damage the drywall or the foam. I even use them on Roxul Safe & Sound batts & R80,60,40.

And besides that, what you've mentioned is from Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby's owner has refused to allow certain kinds of healthcare coverage for it's employees based on the owner's religious views. And that's also why they are not open on Sundays. And the owner David Green is openly anti-sementic, refusing to carry/sell items related to Jewish holidays.

What you should do is fill up a couple shopping carts & when you get to the cash register say "Oh, I don't think I want any of this" and leave, unless of course, you agree with & support David Green's racist and control freak views.

• Like 2

I guarantee you, if you leave that on drywall for some time (unbeknownst due to variability in temperature & humidity conditions, application pressure, type/quality of drywall, etc) - it will eventually leave some damage when removing.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I brought them up anyway because they do work well for many things and mainly because they're better than the two-sided sticky tape I've tried in the past. Those T-pins sound like they would be the ticket.

When I bought the dashes that was the first time I ever walked through the doors of a Hobby Lobby......it'll probably be the last.

Definitely use T-pins.  That's what I did a few weeks ago; no issues at all.  There is no tape solution that's going to stick without falling and not damage your paint when you remove it.  Spray would work, but I'd hate to see how many coats of paint it takes to cover when you move or sell your home.

I bought the 4" acoustical foam from ATS Acoustics.  It was the cheapest option, and is made in the US.  It does have that foamy smell to it.  The smell is slowly dying down.  I think it'll be completely gone in a few more weeks.

Just be sure to cover about 20% of the room's surfaces, in the key locations to reduce early reflections.  It made a world of difference in imaging for me.  The mid-range is noticeably cleaner and more detailed too.  I 100% feel like I'm there; all it took was this foam and Klipsch speakers.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I can vouch for the 3M command strips, the two sided ones, for not leaving marks on the walls. To mount foam panels I used duct tape on the back of the 12"x12" panels and created different shapes of 4 panels. Then, I attached the command strips to the duct tape, 2 commend strips per panel group. Then, stick the command strips to the wall. 

This is a method for temporarily mounting these. It sorta works...I've had lots of panels fall over the years but it always comes loose at the command strip to duct tape joint. So, I pull the command strip off the wall (pulling parallel to the wall) and redo it and it holds for a few months to a few more years. The command strips do not leave any marks whatsoever on my walls, which I why I like them. I'm going to try supergluing the command strip directly to the foam and see how that works. I might also try these t-pins to connect the panels to each other instead of duct tape, since that tends to not hold forever. 

Mace

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So i had exactly the same issue. Anything i'd glue to the backside of the foam panel, would fall off immediately or in a day. What i figured could be used is simple staples and adhesive tape. 

I bought a box of industrial staples from homedepot, adhesive 3M mounting tape and made mini hangers our of them. You cut a strip of tape, then take couple of staples and put them through the tape so they look like a spikes. Then you stick the tape with these pins/spikes to the wall and simply hang foam panel on top. 

Works perfectly! No damage to the wall or the panels. Could be removed or rearranged within seconds. 

Made a quick how-to videos: https://youtu.be/svTCFVMheQ0