Onkyo NR717 Firmware update fail

sean5340

On some of the older models you can update right through hardwiring instead of usb. They give you the opition. I never had to use usb on my Onks, but they were older models. If you do go usb,I am pretty sure you have to unzip the files, but not 100% sure.

I think the USB became a requirement for some models due to network and connection failures causing bricking. I just do the USB cause it should be failproof unless there are hardware/file issues.

The TX-NR 809 was one of them.I had that receiver 2x's and each one worked different.1 had to use the USB and the other would do it harwired. And I think they did it starting with those model years.

Try a soft reset.  Unplug the unit for 30 seconds, then plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, try a factory reset. 

To reset the AV receiver/AV amplifier to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [CBL/SAT] button, press the [sTANDBY/ON] button.  “Clear” will appear on the display and the AV receiver/AV amplifier will enter Standby mode.

+++

I also have the 717 and love it.  I use it everyday and have had zero problems with it in two years.  What is the update supposed to do?

Edited by wvu80

I have *exactly* the same since I tried to update my NR5010 beast to the latest December firmware for Spotify Connect functionalitiy...

Nothing on the HDMI anymore, no menu, no OSD no nothing...

The update did not complete 100% .... It got stuck on the "VMPU Writing .... 99%" forever ;-)

Tried both USB and .NET update-method ... always stuck on 99%

Audio works just fine, network too etc.

Tried factory-reset but nothing.

Anyway ... the unit is on its (long) way to a repair-center....

Really unacceptable with a flagship model costing a couple of thousand euro's / dollars....

And this is the reason I stopped using Onkyo. HDMI Board issues, updating issues just to name a few. I must have been one of the minority when it comes to this brand because everyone touts them so much.

I would think you would be in the majority.  I have had a good experience and that makes me a cheer leader for Onk, but I think I am in the minority.  I told myself that maybe it was the OTHER units that had bad HDMI boards, but it is now well known that they are ALL defective, and failure is not a matter of "if" but "when."

After countless complaints Onk has finally stepped up and acknowledged the HDMI board problem, and has taken the extra step of extending the warranties of older models.  My problem is they won't deal with the problem before it has a problem, they require the AVR to fail before they will replace the board.  My 717 works great and I'm very happy with it now, but I know an HDMI board failure is coming.

Edited by wvu80

The thing I liked about them was that they offered all these "extras", but then you realize when you get caught up in the push for these extras, is that the main reason is for sound quality and reliability. At least that happened on my end. And these big box stores don't do anything to educate their employees to then educate us the buyer. That is one of the biggest reasons I stuck with Yamaha so long, they are very reliable. Had I known all the issues the newer receivers would have, I would have stuck with my Yammie RX-V2095. Only reason I sold it was because I got caught up in the whole HDMI push.I've been tempted several times to repurchase one online. Even the one I have now doesn't compare on sound quality to that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this same issue happen not too long ago on my 818 with the December update. It could only be done via usb which is what i used and it kill the hdmi output. Everything else worked fine. It went into the local repair center since it was still under warranty. What happened is the board had been replaced a year before for the hdmi issue, and the firmware updates don't always include the software for the new board. The only way to fix it was for them to manually update each section of the receiver. I was told after that to never to an update myself since it will most likely happen again. Not very happy about that.

• 11 months later...

I have *exactly* the same since I tried to update my NR5010 beast to the latest December firmware for Spotify Connect functionalitiy...

The update did not complete 100% .... It got stuck on the "VMPU Writing .... 99%" forever ;-)

Really unacceptable with a flagship model costing a couple of thousand euro's / dollars....

I experienced the same issue when attempting to update the firmware released in September last year, on my TX-NR5010. The HDMI board was replaced in April last year with the loss of audio issue I experienced. Everything was working fine until I attempted the firmware update which also got stuck on "VMPU Writing 99%...". I took it to my local repair centre. They could not load the firmware. They contacted Onkyo Japan, who in turn sent them software to force an update. That did not work. Speaking to Onkyo, they were told that one of the chips on the board is corrupt and the HDMI board needs replacement. If this cannot be rectified, I am sitting with a high end machine that is useless to me. I would appreciate any feedback.

I experienced the same issue when attempting to update the firmware released in September last year, on my TX-NR5010. The HDMI board was replaced in April last year with the loss of audio issue I experienced. Everything was working fine until I attempted the firmware update which also got stuck on "VMPU Writing 99%...". I took it to my local repair centre. They could not load the firmware. They contacted Onkyo Japan, who in turn sent them software to force an update. That did not work. Speaking to Onkyo, they were told that one of the chips on the board is corrupt and the HDMI board needs replacement. If this cannot be rectified, I am sitting with a high end machine that is useless to me. I would appreciate any feedback.

Yeah no worries. They will find some sort of solution.

Actually, in total my Onkyo has been 2x in for repair. Last time I directly contact "Labo Diva" and he fixed this without any cost.

He problably received a "go" from Onkyo to perform the repairs himself after receiving a new HDMI-board through Germany.

The only annoying thing is you don't have a receiver for a couple of weeks each time.

Basically, I do not update the Onkyo anymore ... and its it really unacceptable that such beast has this sort of quality problems!