Klipsche TimeWindows?

Sprags

I used to have a pair of TimeWindows I purchased new while in college back in the 70's. Unfortunately they were stolen from back in 1988. And since then I've thought about buying them again when they thbecame available becauseI really liked the openness of the sound though I always thought they lacked the range that other speakers have. And now that I have my Custom Heresy's I really appreciate that characteristic even more. As I said I've had the opportunity to buy TimeWindows on several occasions but I keep changing my mind and not buying them.

Which brings me to an idea...

I'd like to perhaps try building a speaker that sort of duplicates the design of the TimeWindows with drivers pointing in two directions at the angle of the baffle boards. Rather than using small diameter drivers like the ones TimeWindows have I thought about using the drivers that are in a Bob Crite's speaker design with a full sized woofer and horns but of course have two sets in each speaker in a cabinet that mimics the TimeWindows angle.

Any thoughts or ideas or opinions? Even if it's to tell me my idea is wacky. Thanks.

Those open baffle woofers look a lot like the ones used in the Carver ALS speakers. I remember reading a story where the manufacturer in Japan would not even build them as they were completely opposite of designs he'd seen before. Bob Carver had to fly out there and explain his reasoning for the design before they'd put them into production. By far the tiniest magnets ever on a 12" woofer (that I've ever seen) but with four of them together for each speaker put out some serious bass!

post-58550-0-93340000-1419617584_thumb.j

post-58550-0-53820000-1419617597_thumb.j

• Like 1

There was a lot more to Time Windows than just the splayed drivers, with particular regard to the crossover network, interaction of driver polar responses, and woofer cabinet design (an early QWP, of sorts). Simply splaying a set of drivers in a horn-based design probably won't duplicate the effect.

I bought a used set of Time Windows a few years ago for $175. I needed to replace the grill cloth, but otherwise they were just fine. In my opinion it was a very good investment -- they are definitely something special.

Back for more, eh Sprags?

So now your going to tell me I better damn well listen to another senior member and spend $2000 for plywood? And if I don't you're going to all gang up on me a for not obeying a high and mighty member? You know if you don't like me you can just go away. Or...if you really want provoke more sarcasm why don't we settle this man to man.

There was a lot more to Time Windows than just the splayed drivers, with particular regard to the crossover network, interaction of driver polar responses, and woofer cabinet design (an early QWP, of sorts). Simply splaying a set of drivers in a horn-based design probably won't duplicate the effect.

I bought a used set of Time Windows a few years ago for $175. I needed to replace the grill cloth, but otherwise they were just fine. In my opinion it was a very good investment -- they are definitely something special.

I understand just angling 2 pairs of drivers are probably not going to duplicate the sound. But probably is the key word. If I use Klipsche type drivers and the right crossovers the 2 pairs of angled drivers would probably produce a more open sound...that's my guess. Edited by Sprags

If I use Klipsche type drivers and the right crossovers the 2 pairs of angled drivers would probably produce a more open sound...that's my guess.

The particular form of "more open sound" that you describe has already been mastered by a company headquartered in Framingham, Massachusetts.

• Like 1

So now your going to tell me I better damn well listen to another senior member and spend $2000 for plywood? And if I don't you're going to all gang up on me a for not obeying a high and mighty member? You know if you don't like me you can just go away. Or...if you really want provoke more sarcasm why don't we settle this man to man.

Yeah, since moronic threats are what this forum is all about, Blake.

That is way more than anyone should have to spend unless they like to buy stuff that's way overpriced just so they can say they spent $2000 for a sheet of plywood.

well a lot depends upon peoples abilities and availability of shop/tools. then there is the design aspect of it and the fit and finish quality of materials (all top notch)and that hardware is not cheap either. not defending these to you but I do have respect for them and they do represent quality value, I have listened to them. I was in Toronto demonstrating with Ze'ev at the TAVES CES show some weeks back and we won three "Best Sound at Show" awards as well as a handfull of honorable mentions in the audio press so they are not to be laughed at. The point of the link was not sell you something the point of the link is that Ze'ev runs a DIY business with lots of members and there is a lot of free design info. I guess that all that free design info and experience from members there are of no use to you? so far as I can see no one went pee in your cornflakes you just seem to be looking for an excuse to get angry perhaps there are some pills you could take? Best regards Moray James.

If I use Klipsche type drivers and the right crossovers the 2 pairs of angled drivers would probably produce a more open sound...that's my guess.

The particular form of "more open sound" that you describe has already been mastered by a company headquartered in Framingham, Massachusetts.

Edgar: I took a look and found these http://www.matrixaudio.com/qube-2.html, is this the company you were referring to? Very compact and a selection of colors along with very reasonable prices. I see too Roy Allison is back in business but not the same designs as in the old days. Best regards Moray James.

Yeah, since moronic threats are what this forum is all about, Blake.

I asked a question about using Klipsch driver and crossovers in speaker shape similar to TimeWindows and asked for opinions about how something like that would sound. I looked at the link for these multi thousand dollar spears that look nothing like TimeWindows. To be honest when I looked at the images and saw the open baffle design and then saw the price it shocked me. And that's why I said I wasn't going to spend $2000 on a sheet of plywood because I figured that since I asked about putting Klipsch drivers in the speakers that that's what we're used in the $3000 speakers. So I made a mistake. From what I see its $2000 from hardware and $1000 for plywood. But I'm still not looking at at using anything but the drivers I could get from somewhere like the Crites' web site. And I'm not looking at changing the design into an open baffle design.

As far as a moronic threat I'm confused. I know nothing I said was a threat. Were you saying that the "Back for more, eh Sprags" was a moronic threat. I saw that as being more of a moronic provocation.

I directed my one comment to the member that made that provocation and tried to move on. That's why my next comment in the thread thanked everyone for their suggestions.

I didn't start this thread to provoke arguments or threats or stupidity. And unfortunately because of people like mungkiman throwing in a remark that has no relevance to the topic and then provoking Thaddeus Smith to add some gasoline that this thread has turned to shit.