Trouble getting any volume out of and RW-8, help!

synon

I recently acquired some new speakers from a friend, one of those is a RW-8. It had been several years since he used it, but he said it worked great. Power light comes on, but it's extremely quiet. I've tried the LFE port, a mono cable to the left or right channel, and a Y-cable to the L/R channels which seems to be the best, but even when I turn the volume knob on the sub all the way up it's very difficult to tell it's producing bass over the other speakers (bookcase KSB 1.1). If I disconnect the bookcase speakers and only have the sub connected, I can turn the volume on the receiver up and get some decent sound out of it, but as crazy as it seems... I don't want to listen to JUST the bass. I've maxed all the volume controls for the sub on the receiver as well, and the sub still barely audible over the other small speakers. Any suggestions? I only know the very basics, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

I'm using this with a Denon AVR-1706 receiver, I've also tried it with a Sherwood RD-7106 with the same result (connected to sub pre-out).

How big is the room? What are the dimensions? I have the KSB 1.1's and they are hooked up to a 10" powered sub. If the room is large, you can try hooking the sub up with the high input from the receiver to the sub, then the KSB's to the high output of the sub if you aren't getting any real sound from it when hooked up with the cable only. Did you adjust the receiver to pick up the sub when hooked up? The sub may not be big enough for the room also. 

Edited by Jim

The room is about 10x20, I literally have to put my ear inches from the sub to hear anything. I did adjust the receiver to recognize the sub, as well as give it a boost of +15db in addition to the volume on the sub being all the way up. I don't see any high level output on the sub, just in. I'd eventually like to use all this why my center/floorstand speakers if I can figure out what's wrong.

You need to figure out if it's the source or the sub.  Try an I-pod or CD player as a source.  If it's still quiet with all controls maxed out, it's the sub amp. 

Have you told your receiver you have a sub?  You can max the settings out but until you say ""yes" or "on" in the bass management section you're not getting a signal.  Be sure your speakers are set to small as well.

I've tried a laptop and a phone as my source, and two difference receivers. It is producing some sound, when I have the receiver do a speaker check and it cycles through each speaker I do hear the sub grumble. All the other speakers are set to small as well. 

I've tried a laptop and a phone as my source, and two difference receivers. It is producing some sound, when I have the receiver do a speaker check and it cycles through each speaker I do hear the sub grumble. All the other speakers are set to small as well. 

Sounds like sub amp then.

• 6 years later...