RC10 issues

synon

My new to me RC10 center speaker sounds muffled, not crisp at all. It has dual 4" speakers, however they do not sound symmetrical. The right speaker puts out more volume and more mids/highs, the left speaker more lows at a lower volume. Is this normal??? It doesn't sound quite right to me, at least on it's own with no other speakers hooked up. I visually inspected the crossover, nothing leaking or bulging, but beyond that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the problem. I did switch the speakers with each other, same result, could this be a problem with the crossover?

This is my first time owning a center speaker, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting out of it.

Receiver is a Denon AVR-1706.

• Moderators

I haven't heard the RC10 myself so I'm not sure what to expect from it performance wise.  Since it's a 2-way crossover, the tweeter should be receiving 2550Hz and above and both woofers should be receiving 2550Hz and below.  If both woofers do not sound the same, there might be something wrong. 

I looked at an RC35 crossover once, and noticed the two woofers are NOT wired together, or sharing common traces on the board. They appeared to have different signal paths, as if perhaps they produced different ranges. I had the speaker apart because it didn't sound right... Weak, thin highs, like a response gap between 6K and 9K, and a lack of clean power handling in the lows. I couldn't figure out why. I ended up sending it back to the seller and keeping my RC25.