VRDs on Agon.

HPower

you are going to like the look, Craig does some nice work. One of the fun factors with his design is the bass, for a tube amp they really excel with bass, at 1 time I was running a tri-amp horn setupp and I actually used his amps for my bass sounded awesome.............but sanity prevailed and I ended up using a 200,00 SS amp and sold the VRD......................I also usesd them straight up on K-Horns and Cornwalls both with great results..................I just evolved into Bi and Tri Amping and that is why I went to SET amps More control Over the end SQ, also required a lot of fiddling so not sure I was better off in the end as you tend to lose interest in the music if you get to much into the gear end of things Atleast I did  :D  One positive side to my current delima is I dont have to worry with gear swapping and I can get back into music, It has also opened my eyes to the fact that Speaker setups will never be as detailed as Headphones so why obsess over detail, 

• Like 2

...It has also opened my eyes to the fact that Speaker setups will never be as detailed as Headphones so why obsess over detail, 

Simply not true... I've heard it for myself.  It takes a lot of methodical work on your part and a room with some flexibility (furniture that can be moved or removed).  Here is how:

http://getbettersound.com/index.php

Jim Smith can help you make your system sound WAY better than you ever imagined!  I experienced sound like I never dreamed possible at his home a couple of years ago.  He has helped me make my own setup improve by leaps and bounds.  I still have problems to work through but one limitation is in my room and the fact that I have some furniture that can't go anywhere else.  Buy Jim's books and DVDs... if you measure the value of your audio purchases by how much they improve your sound then this will probably be the best "bang for buck" you will ever see! 

I understand what you are saying about headphones ability to get the sound "right" (except for the sound stage coming from each side of my head). Good headphones can be a way to save your budget and your relations with neighbors.   I have Beyerdynamic T5p headphones that I can refer to if I want to remind myself of my reference point that I strive for with my speakers.  With speaker setup and seat position, fractions of an inch matter.  

VRD's will give you beautifully balanced sound music from top to bottom!  It is up to us to get the rest of the setup right.

• Like 1

...It has also opened my eyes to the fact that Speaker setups will never be as detailed as Headphones so why obsess over detail, 

Simply not true... I've heard it for myself.  It takes a lot of methodical work on your part and a room with some flexibility (furniture that can be moved or removed).  Here is how:

Jim Smith can help you make your system sound WAY better than you ever imagined!  I experienced sound like I never dreamed possible at his home a couple of years ago.  He has helped me make my own setup improve by leaps and bounds.  I still have problems to work through but one limitation is in my room and the fact that I have some furniture that can't go anywhere else.  Buy Jim's books and DVDs... if you measure the value of your audio purchases by how much they improve your sound then this will probably be the best "bang for buck" you will ever see! 

I understand what you are saying about headphones ability to get the sound "right" (except for the sound stage coming from each side of my head). Good headphones can be a way to save your budget and your relations with neighbors.   I have Beyerdynamic T5p headphones that I can refer to if I want to remind myself of my reference point that I strive for with my speakers.  With speaker setup and seat position, fractions of an inch matter.  

VRD's will give you beautifully balanced sound music from top to bottom!  It is up to us to get the rest of the setup right.

Not true for you maybe.

I have had countless high end systems which were set up properly with meticulas attention to every detail, input from more than 1 person in the trade. I had people over for listening sessions including a pro drummer that happens to be blind (His hearing is so good infact he hears minor differences in TT speed, He called me out on that once :blink: ) They would talk to me about inner detail and all sort of things that I could not hear, They often commented on how nice the systems were 

I can hear the nuances they referenced many times now that I use Headphones, Which means for my ears Detail is much better with phones

one other tidbit you should consider is the headphone rig, there are as many different ways and gear to approach a headphone system as there are to an open air system, some will shine others will not, 

I guess I could qualify my previous statement by saying in My Experience however I just take it for granted that is a given. I am also not speaking only for myself I know many people who can hear more on headphones,,,, All this is MOOT of course because everyone's hearing is different

Earl may be able to glean just as much from speakers as headphones but age typically dictates some amount of hearing loss in the upper freq. range, (cant change physics, Time has an effect) :D

• Like 1

Not true for you maybe...

I suppose I could add "in my experience" to most things I say or write.  There are certainly a lot of variables at play in any case... even our goals might be different.  In the end, if we are enjoying the musical experience then we have succeeded!  

Congratulations Earl!

• Like 1