Uberbuss

A1UC

er' we go, er we go, er we go. 

It's the only words that we know! 

(Sung to "Stars and Stripes Forever")

Dave

PS - The reference is to a British comedy show that showed soccer hooligans marching to fight meaningless battles with each other singing that song.  Happens here a lot.  Both sides rooting for the same sport, but completely unable to comprehend or tolerate the position of the other team.  Believing you know what another hears is about as delusional as one can get. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Confusing promoting with excitement perhaps? Rodney gains nothing for speaking about this product.

His gains/losses/motivations are irrelevant, although he did post a link to the product page and imply that they're next best thing since sliced bread, so there's that.

The issue you seem to be confusing is this: giving bad advice in a forum where folks come to get good advice.  "Buy this $1000 magic power strip, it's da bomb!" is a fail.  

"Buy this $1000 magic power strip, it's da bomb!" is a fail.

And how do you propose to prove the owner is not hearing a significant difference? 

People come here for opinions, and God forbid they should take everything said hear as the gospel.  The wise individual reads a wide variety of opinion before distilling it into action. 

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, you're fully aware of the mutability of perception.  I'm sure the users hear improvement, simply because that's exactly what they want and expect to hear.  That doesn't mean the differences are real, or that the magic buss would improve things in an audible way.

Like I said, I'm a friend of the truth.  Lets see the guts of this bad boy, or would that ruin the magic?

Edited by Ski Bum

I'm not confused at all. Your claims without actually trying one are irrelevant. Buy one. Try it for the trial period, which is offered for any who purchase. Then call BS. I bet you keep the sucker. If there was anybody who would take advantage of this trial period, it would be Rodney. He decided to keep it after just a few notes rang out of his system with it in place.

Cameron, do get one. They are da bomb, without fail. I have had many power conditioners here, and most give here and take there. This one gives, and takes nothing away. My system improved in all ways, including dynamics using this one. There is not a product out there that I would recommend more, and I am in no way affiliated with PI Audio.

Edited by paul79

I'm sure the users hear improvement, simply because that's exactly what they want and expect to hear.

Doesn't sound like science to me.  The question is:  How do you propose to prove AU1C, or anyone else here, isn't hearing what they say they hear? 

You have a profound belief in your position.  Excellent.  But to insist everyone should have that position simply isn't rational behavior and it doesn't come across as very nice, either.  It was in this very forum over a decade ago I learned that various people hear in various ways.  I developed that understanding by relationships made here.  When you really know someone and trust them, you are going to believe what they have to say.  It may not be your experience, but vive la difference!  It's well known here I wouldn't give a nickel for the difference in any SS amp that is basically well designed, regardless of price.  OTOH I heard major differences in my 2M Black cartridge, and my Van Alsteen preamp, and my Klipshorns when compared to other things...so it's obvious I am not deaf.  Just different.  "Vive..." Ok, said that already.

If you see a thread like this, it's perfect OK to question the science, but IMHO it is not OK to insist that someone isn't hearing something or gaining satisfaction from their system. 

Anyway, I've had my say.  "er' we go..." 

Dave

I have been using an APC 1500 Smart UPS (pure sine wave) on my main system for most of the last few years.  It is on its own circuit.   I used to have nasty power outages 8+ years ago but the power company has been doing a lot better in recent years since they ran a new main line down my street.   I'm still shy about going without battery backup on my tube equipment.  The times that I have moved my system off of the UPS and straight to the outlet I noticed no change but it wasn't much of a test.  I wonder if this could be used in conjunction?  I admit it is pretty cool to have tunes during a brief power outage and to be able to power down nicely!

• Like 1

Duly noted, Muel.  Just remember, on the one side you have the biased impressions of a few users who provide no technical merits supporting their claims to guide you, and a whole body of knowledge that does not really support those claims on the other. 

The whole foundation of high end audio (into which a $1000 power strip squarely falls) is the mutability of perception.  It works, in an "ignorance is bliss" kind of way.   It's everyone's own prerogative if they want to McGurk their way to audio bliss, I just don't think it's really the best approach.  And in this case, truly wasteful.

And Paul, it was the OP who made the claims of dramatic improvements, conspicuously devoid of any technical justification or merits.  Why don't you ask him to back up his claims in a way that is more compelling than simply his unbridled excitement?   Maybe he'll post a picture of the innards so we can all have a look at the magic bits inside.

Dave, really?  I thought you were more well versed in the perceptual science.  It's a real thing, believe it or not.  Perception is highly mutable, susceptible to influence both conscious and unconscious.  It's far less reliable than golden eared audiophiles would like to admit.  Bias controlled testing exposes this phenomenon.

You can absolutely use the UBERBUSS in front of the APC. No problem. I would also try the Uber by itself if your power is stable and safe enough for you to be comfortable doing so.

I use whole house surge protection. If your home is ever involved in a big surge or lightning strike, you'd have wished you did the same. Not saying this is full proof either, as no surge protection ever can be, but it does give me some peace of mind.

Pretty sure no info is available as to protect the designers product. That's common practice. Again, I say to you, try one, if you don't think it is worth $1000, send it back for a refund. That's all I need. If you need more, this may not be for you. Go crap somewhere else. The only thing you are "protecting" is your wallet with your closed mind. That's all fine and well, but you cannot say that this product is woo without experiencing it first hand.

I say this Power Filter makes as much or more of a difference than a component change.

Edited by paul79

1st off its more than a power strip , 2nd the unit is designed that one cant get to the hardware inside . And even if I could why would I open it to post pictures ? Will pictures change your mind ? You already have it in your head its BS .

I could really care less if anyone believes me , Im happy with it and thats all that matters . I did learn one thing today I wont bother posting my findings anymore because you always get some IDIOT to flap his mouth

You have a profound belief in your position.  Excellent.  But to insist everyone should have that position simply isn't rational behavior and it doesn't come across as very nice, either...

If you see a thread like this, it's perfect OK to question the science, but IMHO it is not OK to insist that someone isn't hearing something or gaining satisfaction from their system. 

Anyway, I've had my say.  "er' we go..." 

Dave

You're creating a false equivalence.  Folks are entitled to their own opinions, but not all opinions are supported by the evidence.  My "beliefs" are supported by the evidence.  Ignorance of the perceptual research does not discredit it.  And I'm trying to be nice, really.  

I'm not questioning the science, as none has been provided.  All we have is "this is so kewl, you should have one" testimonial.  That's what I'm questioning, as should anyone considering spending over a thousand bucks on a power cord.

So I do believe that there is a lot of puffery when it comes to power conditioners etc..... I do own 3 of them due to the "what if" scenario. I do not however know if they truly work or not. I also couldn't at this point seeing myself drop $1,000.00 for one,unless I had the expendable money to do it only after being able to hear the difference myself. I have 3 Panamax power conditioners and I do have a question for everyone on here replying.Do they actually work,and is there really a difference in sound quality and video quality? I do think in my family room that something good is happening as I had a hum in my system without it, and the hum went away after installing it. I don't know if the sound quality was enhanced with picture quality, or even that the hum went away due to my moving the components and cables. 

My house took a lightning strike almost 7 years ago.  NO stereo equipment was plugged in at the time but I still took about a $8k loss in computer equipment, phones, garage door openers and misc electronics.  Luckily, insurance took care of most of it!  I added whole house surge protection and improved the grounding soon after.

Ski Bum, as far as Paul as concerned I have found his opinion to be quite trustworthy and his taste to be pretty similar to mine when it comes to comparing tubes or other equipment.  

I agree that perception is highly mutable!  My perception of Paul has not changed much since I met him but I have grown to have a great deal of trust of his opinion and would have no problem spending some $$ based on his advice.

I'm pretty happy with my equipment and I don't get too excited about adding new stuff until I can get my room improved some more.  I think that is where I am going to find the most bang for the buck at this point.  It just takes a lot of time and effort.  The fact that I seem to start about 5 projects at a time it gets tough trying to juggle it all.  From what I know about Paul and A1UC's systems a $1k coin toss with a 30 day return policy doesn't seem to be much risk.  I assume you might be out some shipping and a little of your time worst case.

Thanks Cameron.

The quality of the power feeding ones system is extremely important. Even more so If your system uses a digital front end. The quality of the AC power can make an OK sounding DAC worlds better, and I have yet to encounter a DAC that did not get allot better with clean power. Every time you have heard my system, there has been some kind of conditioning involved, but it was not until I got the UBERBUSS, that I could plug my entire system into a conditioner, amps included, and absolutely sounded better than the wall.

To admit, your amps and other analog components won't benefit a great deal so long as they are designed properly. However, with the UBERBUSS, all components get improved with no detriment to the sound in any way. Having had several conditioners and even isolation transformers, most times they were great for low current sources, but if you plug your amp into them, the soundstage collapses and dynamics suffer big time. Not so with the Uber. This makes it pretty special in my book.

This product makes obvious improvements. Nothing imaginary about it. Feel free to take the UBER challenge and post your findings. With the trial, all you risk is the costs to ship it back.

Edited by paul79