My pet peeve with Klipsch is the lack of authorized dealers that have inventory on hand for auditions. If I wanted to listen to any of the newest Heritage series, how far would I have to travel? Even your flagship reference series are not stocked at any of the 4 "authorized" dealers here in Albuquerque.

I had heard a pair of the original RF-7s and really liked them but I still took a 3K leap of faith when I purchased the RF-7II / 64 combo as they were not available for audition.

I'm a sales rep for the largest flooring mfg. in the world and our dealers are required to showcase certain components of our collections. Why would any manufacturer that caters thru the dealer channel be any different? Granted we don't sell internet direct but I would think this would aid both of your current sales channels.

Looking at the current prices on the Heritage series which start at 1700 up to 9000 for a pair, how is the uneducated consumer or educated for that matter expected to drop that kind of money on a pair of speakers they can't hear, see or feel?

ie (Wanna be a Klipsh dealer? Please read thu the enclosed application and contract for a list of products that must inventoried and displayed at all times for consumer auditions.

It shouldn't be a dealers choice but a requirement set by Klipsch!

Anyways, that's my main gripe with the current sales model.

• Like 5

mdeneen, you hit the nail on the head. I can speak from my own personal experience and from what my kids are listening to today.

I have 4 kids, 13 year old triplets and a 10 year old and my wife who is 39. I have 3 set ups in my home. 2-9.2 Channel set ups with 3d screens and a 7.2 set up in my bedroom. Do you know what they watch and listen to? Their cell phones and pads. I ask them constantly to watch movies with me or listen to music and they constantly say no.It's to much of a hassle for them to get up and move around. Now at the same time,they love music and play instruments and I take them to 1-2 concerts a year.

I saw a caption on Facebook that read:Looking to get together with some friends to go out to a fancy restaurant so we can all watch our phones together.

It's hard for any company to get their product out there to people who aren't looking for it,whether Klispch,BOSE, Yamaha, Pioneer, or any other company for that matter. The reason Apple and other cell companies are doing so well is because the youth of today doesn't have any ambition to get out there and do things. They are all tied up to their phone and tablet screens to be able to want to do anything else. Pinterest, Facebook,and other systems now make up the lives of today's youth where as 20 years ago it was getting out there and playing sports, knocking on doors to go hang out,and having get togethers and parties that opened the door to audio. I know when I saw a friends system I was instantly drawn to it.I wanted to know where he got it,how much he paid,and how I could go about getting it. Not today.

Until we can get today's youth out of the phone interaction,it's going to be hard to do anything. My opinion, being ticked off at a company like Klipsch for not focusing on products you own is selfish to an extent. The company has to survive and make their money where they can, and then expand into the upper end niche products. It wasn't like that 20-30 years ago, but it is now. In my own business I have had to adapt to market conditions and "products" I offer to my clients in the last 12 years.If I didn't I would not survive.

I do not own any of the Heritage Line or lines above them and I am looking to get into them, but one of the reasons is because I purchased a lower level line back in the 90's and they are still used today. How many other companies can say their speakers last that long?I can't afford the higher end product at this point, but it gives me something to look forward to as a future purchase.That needs to be taken into consideration.That's why we don't have cars available to us that get 100 miles to the gallon.It would put those car engine manufacturers and companies out of business.

I do agree that some of the online and walk in stores should have those lines available, and that places like a Best Buy should have them in their upper ended side as they have other lines in their.

History repeats itself and all things are cyclical. Cars were made smaller in the 70's then larger again. Same is happening with the speaker industry slowly but surely. People will want the large HT set ups as sound quality and picture quality gets better.But I don't think it will be today's youth.I'm 46 and just got into really wanting to learn about hi-fi audio.Prior to that I was a sheep just like everyone else. Purchase what we are told is good and pushed on us without having a real education in things,and it doesn't help when the sales people doing the pushing don't have an education on the things they are selling.If the big box stores are educated more on audio,they can educate their employees who can then educate us.Put the sales people into a position of being a fiduciary instead of a functionary.If they have the product to educate themselves better,they can educate us better.

Can't quite tell where Mark's actual position is.  There was one earlier I was going to take exception to, but the last couple are on target. 

The Klipschorn isn't about market share.  It is about an ideal, an ideal that has yet to be matched.  It is the physical embodiment of the 8 Cardinal Points, and the 8 Card (as PWK referred to it) is to loudspeakers what the 10 Commandments are to Western religion.  Not a single one can be violated without compromise.  Few technological manifestos have remained truth for decade after decade.  While not written until well after the Klipschorn I remain certain PWK inherently understood them in the 40s when he developed it. 

IMHO, the brief statements from the 8 Card should hand in the entryway to the Klipsch headquarters, in R&D, and in the main conference room where new products are mooted.  These principles belong only to Klipsch, and indoctrinated every new hire with them can provide not only a metric to evaluate new products as to whether PWK would approve or not but also a means to judge the competition. 

Bose is a 3 billion dollar company because they sell products designed for people who are interested in form factor and will believe anything.  As long as Klipsch cares about quality they will never be a multi-billion dollar company as there aren't enough people who really care about audio quality to support such a company, and you cannot provide that audio quality in form factors that appeal to people who don't care.  You can violate the 8 Card only to a point and you are no longer in the field of quality audio but just trying to part fools with their money.

However, you CAN bend them a bit in order to appeal to those in the gray area between mainly being interested in form factor but also having some degree of discriminatory hearing and ability to understand a few basic principles.  

The Palladium line is an example of violation of the 8 Card towards a particular end.  There are those in the higher income group who are both discriminating and also want the prestige of a grand name like Klipsch.  However, they also want form factor and visual appeal.  The specs on the Pallidium are excellent, and they are magnificent to look at.  Stereophile called them "The best looking speakers ever to come from Klipsch" and also said "Are there better loudspeakers for $20,000/pair than the Klipsch Palladium P-39F? Possibly—I haven't heard every one of them yet." 

However...the Klipschorn sells for a LOT less and exceeds the performance of the Palladiums in a couple of areas predicted by the 8 Card.  One can read the 8 Card and immediately see what Klipsch was doing with the Palladium even if nobody there made that comparison before the fact. 

Yep, I am an 8 Card fanatic.  The design of most components in the audio source chain is reserved to only a tiny number of people with decades of experience, complex math skills, science, and engineering abilities.  PWK was a genius, as he took the incredible knowledge required to build the perfect loudspeaker and wrote them down as 8 statements any layman can comprehend. 

That, my friends, is legendary greatness.  Can anybody quote Dr. Amar Bose on ANYTHING? 

Dave

• Like 1

But PWK is dead.

You are missing my point.  Newton is dead, too.  OK, PWK was no Newton but his theories are just as sound and just as eternal until some, as yet, completely unknown means of creating transducers is invented.  There are hints of that, but nothing remotely solid as yet.

My point wasn't so much external as INTERNAL.  His science and theories must remain alive daily or Klipsch becomes just another "major breakthrough" company selling cute radios or whatever the masses want.  By leveraging that spirit and those theories they have a standard...something others do not...that CAN be used on certain mass market products.  More people than we here realize know the name "Klipsch" stands for quality.  Not much in the 8 Card about earbuds.  Market the heck of them to the masses.  Same for phonedocks and such. 

But make sure PWK wouldn't flip his BS button to ANYTHING in the loudspeaker line, and make sure the Klipschorn remains the ideal and object of desire that it was and is.  They will never be a significant revenue source, but they can still be the financial foundation by providing a standard by which all the other speakers are judged. 

I don't think a design engineer could go too wrong by asking him or her self "What would PWK have thought?"

Times have changed, but sound engineering principles haven't. 

Dave

Alex-

First, I want to say thanks for responding as you have, it is a refreshing departure from today's politically correct corporate world.

As a long-time owner of Klipsch products, I want to share a few thoughts;

The challenge of marketing the Klipsch brand of products is completely different today than in decades past. The array of products is broad (out of necessity) compared with the Heritage lineup of the 60's and 70's and the independent retail dealer business model is all but non-existent today. The product and marketing segmentation which results from this makes it hard to maintain a coherent brand identity that consumers can relate to as they could in the past. I feel that Klipsch's recent efforts to introduce PWK, company history and product philosophy to a new generation of consumers is a positive step. Now the company must respond by backing that up with ALL of the products and services that reflect that philosophy.

When I was first introduced to Klipsch products more than 40 years ago, there were THREE VERY SPECIFIC THINGS that attracted my attention to the brand;

1. "If you cannot hear the difference, you are not ready for Klipsch speakers yet" ( This achieves what the best marketing messages achieve- it is a call to action because it personalizes the message. You must hear for yourself to see if it is really true!) 

2. Superior design and craftmanship over most competitors

3. Dedication to continual product improvement /low obsolescence /ability to update for a lifetime (This is a big deal as it is so rare!)

I have presented these points because I believe that they remain relevant and therefore valuable to the company's success going forward.

Thanks again for your post.

Bill 

Bose is a 3 billion dollar company because they sell products designed for people who are interested in form factor and will believe anything.  As long as Klipsch cares about quality they will never be a multi-billion dollar company as there aren't enough people who really care about audio quality to support such a company, and you cannot provide that audio quality in form factors that appeal to people who don't care.  You can violate the 8 Card only to a point and you are no longer in the field of quality audio but just trying to part fools with their money.  

In my opinion bose is for the uneducated masses.  However despite my dislike for bose, I tell people that like the sound of bose they should enjoy themselves.  

I would hope that the Heritage series makes enough $$$ to keep American Workers employed.  You can't please all the people with one product.  Nor will all the people be satisfied with one brand.

My wife runs an adult foster care home at our house.  Good equipment for the residents to listen to.

When EMT's come to transport a resident to the hospital they often drool over my front room set up.  

Hell they don't even know about the better stuff I keep in another room.  I only take special people into the room with Khorns and mc30's, Fisher 400, Marantz 2500, Marantz 2325, and other equip.

When I was younger I had kids and could not afford to have a nice stereo.  Now I'm trying to make up for lost time.

I know I don't have anywhere near the best stuff out there.  But I do like my Klipsch Heritage speakers best.

I know.  I do ramble a lot.  That's just the way I am.

Alex, I hope you haven't regretted starting this thread. What a terrific topic!  I phoned a Heritage authorized Klipsch dealer (with 3 showrooms in different towns) which is within a reasonable driving distance from where I live to ask if they have Klipschorns, La Scalas, or Cornwalls available for demonstration.  The sales guy I spoke with was initially confused and told me that "all Klipsch speakers have horns" (in response to my query about Klipschorns).  When I elaborated, he realized what I was asking about and then said something to the effect that those are the "old" Klipsch speakers which have such little demand that they don't bother having them on display.  But, they do have RF-7s if I want to come by and listen to those.  

I mentioned this discussion to a ham operator friend.  He said that the big 3 ham manufacturers, Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood, hammer the amateur radio community with advertising in the publications which creates the "drool factor" mentioned above.  He also said that the number of places where one can actually try the equipment are so few and far between that people buy the equipment based on magazine reviews, or just faith in the particular company.  About the only place where one can truly see the stuff is at the Dayton Hamvention, an annual event which draws ham operators and others from around the world.  

An optician friend sells very expensive eyeglass frames.  He said that it would be impossible to sell any if he didn't have them in the shop so people can actually try them on.  And, if he happens not to have a particular color on hand, he orders the frame in that color so the customer can see it on their face before ordering the glasses.  Obviously, that wouldn't work in the world of speakers, but you get the idea.

Tasdom stated the case which I made earlier a bit more clearly: "Looking at the current prices on the Heritage series which start at 1700 up to 9000 for a pair, how is the uneducated consumer or educated for that matter expected to drop that kind of money on a pair of speakers they can't hear, see or feel?"  And I reiterate my previous point about having been responsible for "selling" Klipschorns, CWs, and Heresys by doing no more than demonstrating them to people who never knew they could achieve such amazing sound in their home.  And, I continue to do that today when I demo my RF-15 near-field system.  When asked "how much do speakers like that cost?" and I reply only a few hundred dollars, that often guarantees that one of the dealers is going to be selling a pair of RF-42IIs or RF-52IIs really soon.

Maynard   

• Like 1

Excellent point, Maynard.  Seems there should be at least a small group of key. higher volume dealers where it would behoove Klipsch to consign a pair of K'horns if the dealer were willing to place them properly.  My family never could afford a Cadillac, but when we went to a Chevy dealer who had one in the center of the floor we looked it over thoroughly and it made an impact that it was from the same company that made the Chevy. 

Dave

Don't take this as a criticism. or take it personal. I am going to be the Devil's advocate here.

No problem with your post.  I don't know where you got the "dictate" to the dealer part.  I suspect there are enough high traffic dealers with the space for a Cadillac.  While it is speculation, I'd be willing to be there would be an increase in the price and level of Klipsch products those who heard the K'horn left with.

I worked at an audio shop on Saturdays back in the mid-70s.  I found that I could raise the ante on those who came in for some specific speaker by at least a model simply by ensuring they heard the "top of the line."  At that point, they wanted to get as close as they could afford.

Dave 

Mark, your description of the stereo shops of the sixties is on target.  I was never involved in the high end audio business as you were, but rather small town audio equipment repair, radio and tv repair, as well as custom tube amp design and fabrication.  I never had the drive to try taking the latter to a big scale (when doing so was certainly possible) as you did, and was very content to serve only a local community.  So, since you mentioned expensive speaker cables, I'm anxious to get your take on the model employed by the Cable Company which is about 10 miles from where I live:

http://www.thecableco.com/content.aspx?iid=5777

They are offering what seems to be an excellent way for prospective buyers to experience a huge assortment of cables in their own systems before plopping down a significant amount of cash.  Paying 5% for the privilege doesn't seem to be out of line when one considers the possible cost of the cables themselves.  The point I am making here again is that people are getting to experience something with their own ears and eyes before spending a lot of money.  I'd venture to say that the typical CC customer has never heard of George Cardas or any of the other cable gurus and could probably care less.  They want to hear what such and such a cable sounds like and that's it.  Looking forward to your take on this!

Maynard

Times change. It ain't that way anymore, so no sense crying over it.

Who's crying?  What hasn't changed is accurate sound.  Certainly less people listen to music these days than stare at the tube.  But there are plenty who still listen, and even more who want their tube sound state of the art.  The Klipschorn remains state of the art both in performance and in price.  The other Klipsch offerings either are at that state or certainly competitive...and they have a Legend to call on.  That's my suggestion.  Klipsch, as they are doing to a much greater degree, need to use that Legend to create a mystique.  A solid Klipsch dealer with the basic statements of the 8 Card on the wall (and copies to hand out), along with one of the many awesome pictures of PWK flipping the BS button in a room with Klipschorns...and other Klipsch speakers...ready to audition couldn't fail unless people really just don't hear anymore.  I like the relatively modern "Pissing off the neighbors since 1946..." poster as well and think it speaks to the current generation.

Demonstrable quality and price performance never goes out of style.  It doesn't matter if the Chevy dealer only sells a couple of Cadillacs or Corvettes a year as long as they sell a boatload of Chevies. 

Dave

A few points from an old school "Heritage" guy....

I too have had frustrations with the fact that Heritage isn't the brunt of Klipsch home speaker sales. I have to admit that I am emotionally attached, as well as factually based in the idea that Heritage - to ME - IS what makes Klipsch who they are. Heritage IS Klipsch.

But in today's world - and in particular, in today's economy, Heritage has it tough. When Heritage was selling huge numbers, the economy was structured much differently than it is today. People could pay off their homes in 10 years, afford health care, had savings accounts, didn't have huge college debts. The US had a huge middle class who could afford to buy Heritage quality products. Then place on top of the changing economy the overall audio marketing ploy that somehow smaller was better, as home theater and "small is king" became the mantra in the '80s going forward - and you have a recipe that moves Heritage to the back of the bus in terms of overall visibility in a huge marketplace.

The Klipschorn is the only speaker to maintain continuous production for as long as it has. Without the Reference, Legend, Synergy, and other products to sell, the Klipschorn as well as the company might not exist today. Klipsch has to respond to market forces in order to survive. I consider it quite a feat that Klipsch has kept Heritage alive in the first place.

It is difficult to push a product that so few can afford. It is even more difficult to sell a product people cannot see. Placing Heritage in front of people is a difficult proposition - it costs lots of money to place enough operating samples in enough places to move the sales needle, and advertising is VERY expensive. Social media and internet is a huge help - it is relatively cheap to do this. But at some point people have to see and experience the product. Priced as it is, asking people to buy Heritage sight unseen and ears unheard is like asking people to buy a car without driving. That is Klipsch's challenge as it pertains to Heritage.

You mention the "hipster" with disposable income. Has Klipsch ever given thought to going to where they hang out? Try this: Every summer, this crowd goes to the festival music circuit, where many of these people are ponying up $1000-$3000 per ticket for VIP amenities and arrangements. If they can afford $1-3K for VIP tickets, they can afford any of Klipsch's product. Oh - and they are music addicts. Just your demographic. Show your product. Lead them to a place they can buy. and make sure that you have a list on your website where they can see, hear, and buy your product. ESPECIALLY the high $$ Palladium and Heritage. People should be able to find a Heritage or Palladium dealer via this website with a few keystrokes, where they can see and buy.

If you leave it up to people asking your dealers for stuff, you're missing the boat. Your customer, being led by this site and your social media, should be able to walk into a dealer listed on this site, and know that Heritage, Palladium, or other products are sold there. YOU lead them to where they need to go. Don't leave it up to people having to beg dealers for product. Strategically place your product in front of your target demographic. You need not have Heritage in every shopping center in the country, but when people ask about it or come here looking for it, they need to be steered to a place where they can see and buy it.

Lots of good points in here! Nodding my head in agreement for most of it. We have gotten in front of hipsters as certain music festival as we partnered with Classic Album Sundays for Bestival and Camp Bestival. Amazing demo opportunity. The La Scalas LITERALLY brought people to tears. We also went to Nashville Food & Wine Festival where the average ticket price was in the 100s. We are definitely on that track. The problem is simple, though. The rich hipster is a target demo that just about EVERYONE is targeting, so these festivals are quite expensive.

We obviously are not soley relying on people to tell the dealers what they want BUT it helps. Dealers THINK right now that everyone wants thin, small, wireless chinese crap. We need consumers help to let them know that they aren't satisfied with Sonos, Bose, etc. Dealers will always think they know customers better than us.

We are trying to strategically place our high end product in new places and I think you will see a lot more of that in the coming year. Our Heresy speakers are already in Tanner Goods locations for their Vinyl Sundays events. Again, not cheap! We are often forced to buy floor space and/or provide the speakers ourselves. Our partnerships allow a bartering sort of situation. Again, more news this year hopefully.

We do need to make it easier to figure out exactly where to demo Heritage. You are correct.

Alex, Thanks for offering your perspective.

Regarding saving up for a pair of Hereseys: Why not aim higher and get a set of Klipsch Jubilees?

Just my thought .....

Ah, you're a cheeky lad! I can't really even afford Heresys much less Jubilees. I'm OK with being poor...but not pulling-tricks-poor.

Nice Read, Just a thought if dealers wont support a new product that has a prototype why not bring that to the net and see if it gets support there, Is there something that says Klipsch can only supply via dealers ? 

I completely understand having dealers and producing various levels of product to keep the company alive in a crap economy

Joe

It is very costly to develop a product from concept to final build. 

But, there's no question at all, that people want stuff they have only READ about.

So, how many did you sell in toto?  Important to make your point, as I'll agree if a significant majority of your sales were to  people who purchased your products simply on your say so or a magazine review and didn't at least know somebody who owned one.

I've purchased equipment without hearing it, but not due to manufacturers claims and DAMNsure not from magazine reviews...only by user comments and a lot of them.  Vicarious, yes, but often the only way to hear some things these days.  Further, that effort means I was very serious...something a lot of purchasers aren't these days.  A dealership is different.  Many may just drop in from curiosity.  If you are going to sell them something, you need to impress them. 

Speaking of DAMNsure, I am not going to enter a debate about amps and preamps with you.  You own that field.  But you'll have a hard time convincing me there is a cheaper speaker available today that can match or exceed the Klipschorn at the price. 

Dave

One thing not mention is that the average consumer is looking for small speakers.  I started that way and was not well educated in audio.  Most of us forum junkies have taken a lot more time to educate ourselves in this area and are attracted to a different product compared to the average consumer.  More money can be made in the average consumer market.

One thing to consider. More and more people are moving downtown because so many cities (like Indianapolis) have made the urban center a great, fun, and safe place to live. This means apartments and condos - generally smaller spaces. Also, these small spaces often do not allow for real-deal speakers because they would get a noise violation every single night. Pissing Off The Neighbors is all well and good until the cops write you a ticket.

Put that asset to work. Every audio mag covering speakers over $1000 should have rave pieces about the "latest" version of the "Klipsch Horn". Whether that means a Jubilee or a theater speaker or whatever all those huge boxes are. Not hard to understand. And, get a designer to make those things look like gorgeous furniture. Please, go look at any high end speaker. If they don't look like a million bucks, you can't sell 'em for a million bucks. Looks ARE the first priority in speakers. Big stadium boxes with corner bumpers will have no place in a multi million dollar designer home.

But most importantly, it's crazy not to be in the chatter of that high end world when you have this exceptional asset. There is NO REASON that a " Klipsch Horn" should be missing from any of the high end mags as a regular feature. That's how you create drooling lust in the customers who will buy a gargantuan speaker. And that buyer is not a hipster. It's the rich guys who are buying Grand Slams for $125,000. It's the guy buying the $12,000 phono cartridge. Maybe PWK thought that was nuts. But this is not 1956, and PWK has passed on. He left a marvelous asset. Use it! The best tribute you can make is that the speaker would still command the high ground!

You are right. I think you have seen us do that a bit but giving Heritage a lot of focus on social media. We can do more, of course.

Side note / fun fact: we have actually gained market share from our key competitors, even though the industry as a whole had been waning. It's ebb and flow, yo.

Chad is right. We are KILLING people in the REAL home theater segment.

Alex-

First, I want to say thanks for responding as you have, it is a refreshing departure from today's politically correct corporate world.

As a long-time owner of Klipsch products, I want to share a few thoughts;

The challenge of marketing the Klipsch brand of products is completely different today than in decades past. The array of products is broad (out of necessity) compared with the Heritage lineup of the 60's and 70's and the independent retail dealer business model is all but non-existent today. The product and marketing segmentation which results from this makes it hard to maintain a coherent brand identity that consumers can relate to as they could in the past. I feel that Klipsch's recent efforts to introduce PWK, company history and product philosophy to a new generation of consumers is a positive step. Now the company must respond by backing that up with ALL of the products and services that reflect that philosophy.

When I was first introduced to Klipsch products more than 40 years ago, there were THREE VERY SPECIFIC THINGS that attracted my attention to the brand;

1. "If you cannot hear the difference, you are not ready for Klipsch speakers yet" ( This achieves what the best marketing messages achieve- it is a call to action because it personalizes the message. You must hear for yourself to see if it is really true!) 

2. Superior design and craftmanship over most competitors

3. Dedication to continual product improvement /low obsolescence /ability to update for a lifetime (This is a big deal as it is so rare!)

I have presented these points because I believe that they remain relevant and therefore valuable to the company's success going forward.

Thanks again for your post.

Bill 

Bill, we have let you done occasionally in recent times and we apologize. Heck, we may even do it again. BUT, from what I have seen here, there has been a re-commitment to doing things right. Not just from a "it's right thing to do angle" but also because that is how we are going to stand out and, thus, make more money...and get Alex a big ol' raise hopefully :)

Alex, I hope you haven't regretted starting this thread. What a terrific topic!  I phoned a Heritage authorized Klipsch dealer (with 3 showrooms in different towns) which is within a reasonable driving distance from where I live to ask if they have Klipschorns, La Scalas, or Cornwalls available for demonstration.  The sales guy I spoke with was initially confused and told me that "all Klipsch speakers have horns" (in response to my query about Klipschorns).  When I elaborated, he realized what I was asking about and then said something to the effect that those are the "old" Klipsch speakers which have such little demand that they don't bother having them on display.  But, they do have RF-7s if I want to come by and listen to those.  

I absolutely don't regret starting this thread. I can take it as good as I can give it! :)

The conversation you had is exactly the battle we are fighting!

Can't quite tell where Mark's actual position is.

Very simple, Dave. The Klipsch speakers with folded bass horns should be appearing somewhere on every single "must have" speaker roundup published each year.

We are changing PR companies at the end of 2014. We'll see what happens.

This should be abundantly clear:  NOBODY wants Klipschorns until they've heard them.  Looking at pictures of Klipschorns is like listening about a Van Gogh. 

Dave

This is obviously true for the most part, but there is something brewing with the "rich hipster" demographic that I spoke about earlier. I could see this type of consumer dropping serious coin on Heresys for that 1960s, vintage, handmade look...and just trust the Klipsch name that it'll sound fantastic. We'll see.