How Did I Get Here? (A Klipsch Story)

The History Kid

I'm not going to claim to be as good of a story teller as thebes...because, hey...who is?  I'm an academic writer...that means I add little numbers next to ideas and hope someone pays attention to where the ideas come from (most of the time).

This evening, I stumbled upon Alex's post over transparency.  But honestly, I read that thread - and I think to myself "hell, I might actually love the company that much too."  Anyway, I love you guys, my wallet hates all of you, and I'm pretty sure the audio-craving is a contagious one now ever since joining here.  When I joined here, I had a pair of RF-3 II's and a Gen II Quintet system...now, all but 2 speakers and 3 subwoofers are Klipsch born-and-raised. Those 2 speakers by the way are 1998 Jamo Cornet 175's (oh Chad!), they can hold their own without too much worry.

At any rate - there's a certain fuzzy feeling and a special place I have for my RF-3's - and that's mainly got to do with how I received them.  Growing up, I was not a child who did the toy thing.  I think my idea of toys was limited to model airplanes - otherwise...it was big-boy toys.  TV's, VCR's, Amplifiers, Tuners, and Speakers.  I'm a product of two band directors - two symphony chair players - a song writer, and a music producer.  Members of my family have played for Manheim Steamroller, Alabama, and Guns N Roses at various gigs around the Midwest.  Those same family members have also been involved in musical performances in theater as well. 

I was raised on a trombone, played with cellos, blasted out with the trumpet.  I toyed around with the piano, and banged on drums and always had a guitar within reach (unless it was my grandma's, then it was a ukulele).  I live in a world of perpetual music - melody, beat, and rhythm - the same one I was raised in.

When I was 6...my dad bought be a GE boombox.  Yeah!  Detachable speakers too!  I was totally a boss then (I look at some of you with your kids and RF-7's...trust me, I'm so jelly).  I kept that thing until I melted the faceplate off it next to a bonfire on one 4th of July.  Before I did that though, I bought an Aiwa NSX-AJ20 Shelf Unit...which survived all the way from January of 2000 (I bought it with birthday money) to November of this year.  It was with that system that my brother and I would have "Stereo Wars"...where we'd try to overshoot volume against each other.  Of course, he had a pair of MTX floorstanders and a Yamaha V390...I had an Aiwa...lol.

2002 - I had a Kenwood HTB system...with my first subwoofer, and first surround speakers.  VR-414...couldn't shake the floors too much with it, but we tried.  In  early '02...I acquired some JBL Northridge speakers - the models of which I can't remember...those were my first floorstanders...they sadly did not survive the move from the old house to this one (they perished in 2007).  The Kenwood sub lasted until late last year somehow.

Anyway...it was 2002 and my school experience was not doing well.  Straight F's in fact!  7th grader with no ambition for the course materials...and was made fun of by just about every student in the school.  I missed so many days of school that it wasn't even funny.  I still loved talking audio, and had since made friends with a manager at one of the local electronics stores.  One day that same manager (Ian) had called my mom, and we both went over to talk to him.  He handed me the 2002 catalogue of Klipsch speakers and pointed at a pair of RF-3 II's, and said that if I could stick out the year at school and not miss a day...and at least pass...they'd work out getting me a pair.  I had no idea at the time he was literally going to do half-off + a free speaker with that deal for me and my mom...I was 12...and they were beautiful to me.

I made it through that year (that was my last year I attended traditional school...I dropped out in 8th grade, got my GED in '07 and went right into a Tier-1 Private College in '12) and I got my first pair of speakers...the very same ones that are in my bedroom, and the same ones that I spent all of these last 4 months finally completing (with the RC-3 II, RS-3 II's, and now the RB-3's).  It is with that accomplishment, that I feel like I finished what I started on this system, and I never foresee myself parting with them.  They're not the 7's, not even the 5's...they're older and smaller - but they damn well look better than just about any of the other RF-3 II's out there still.  I babied these speakers every day...and still do.

So for me...these specific towers are more than just a signature of great sound that my mother and a good friend got me going on.  They're also a symbol to me that I survived a teenage hell, and am still going strong.  Funny what happens when you realize that you're bleeding copper.  12 years after the first Klipsch speaker ended up in my house, the whole house finally turned.  What will the next 12 bring me? :)

• Like 10

Ibiza, I feel the same way about my little KSB Setup as it was my 1st real purchase on "real" speakers and a receiver. 1998 and I spent $3400.00 for my receiver Yamaha RX-V2095,2 KSB 3.1's,4 KSB 1.1's,1 KSC- C1, and the 10"sub that went with them. I also purchased a 61" Sony rear projection TV for $2100.00 and had it in use up until last November when I sold it and purchased my 55". That was the 1st year I was able to afford anything outside of a typical "rack all in one system" which were running around $800.00 to about $1200.00 and were the typical Sony, Fisher styles with the big 15" woofer 3 way towers that came with a cassette deck and cd player and some had the turntable. (Mine did and was Fisher).I also quit school at 16 due to a very bad home life and then got my GED later on and became a stock broker, then became a real estate broker. I still use the little KSB's in my bedroom and can't get myself to part with them because of what they remind me I came from. Plus they still sound nice.

Good for you for going back to school and continuing things. Little things like this stay with us for our whole life and actually make us realize how good things are, even when we think we are in ruts. I just look back on that 16 year old kid and then realize how good I have it.

• Like 4

I'm thinking this story might need some visual assistance...

These are pictures of those same speakers (purchased June 2002) with their accompanying RC-3 II (complete with a Jubilee Emblem, instead of the Reference one (added September 2014)), and their new RB-3 Cherry little brothers (added just this past Monday).  And obviously not in view are the RS-3 II's (added in August 2014) and the RS-42 II's (added July 2011)...then off to the side there is the old Polk battleship that's held up pretty good among all of these monsters.  I think I'll keep it...lol

post-58712-0-14500000-1419829416_thumb.jpost-58712-0-18820000-1419829428_thumb.jpost-58712-0-62140000-1419829440_thumb.j

• Like 2

• Moderators

Nice story, your still young and no telling what audio stuff your going to go through, probable no one here would have guessed they would have ended up where they are now, I sure didn't. 

Who knows ?

• Like 2

Nice story, your still young and no telling what audio stuff your going to go through, probable no one here would have guessed they would have ended up where they are now, I sure didn't. 

Who knows ?

My audio ambitions were to own MTX speakers like my brother up until I was about 10.  Never crossed my mind that there might be something behind the fact they were 12" woofers, but even I could lift the boxes. lol  I'd say right now, my hopes are to get a pair of La Scalla II's or Epic CF-4's after graduation.

I thought I was going to be a professional baseball player,or football player. And if that didn't work out a Marine Biologist.The Real Estate Industry was the last thing I thought I'd be involved in.

I was going to be a meteorologist.  Of course the older I am now, I realize I wouldn't be able to take all the flack.  Those guys get seriously ripped on during the winter.  Totally brutal!

• Like 1

And I got your Nak... :)

Got your RB-3's, alright man!

Man I remember how cool I felt when I had that thing too.  It was the first time I had a unit that delivered non-dampened power. Think I got that in '01, and it didn't get formally replaced until '09.  After that, I held onto it until the right buyer came along. :)

Funfact:  When it got shipped to you, it had completed a journey across the United States from coast to coast.  It's original owner was in Pacific Palisades, CA.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

And I got your Nak... :)

Got your RB-3's, alright man!

Man I remember how cool I felt when I had that thing too.  It was the first time I had a unit that delivered non-dampened power. Think I got that in '01, and it didn't get formally replaced until '09.  After that, I held onto it until the right buyer came along. :)

Funfact:  When it got shipped to you, it had completed a journey across the United States from coast to coast.  It's original owner was in Pacific Palisades, CA.

Knew there was something about the Nak. West coast treatment. Got my first Klipsch in 01, a pair of Chorus for work I had done in lieu of some pay at an HT/satellite retail store. HS dropout too. More like kicked out. Got GED five years later. Went straight to a 2 year college.

Interesting story you have. In 12 years, you could be selling all the Heritage line for Klipsch.

Good Fortune!

• Like 1

Public education is depressing. :(  And kids anymore are just plain mean if anyone is the slightest bit different or more outgoing than the norm.  Teachers aren't allowed to help either, which is more sad.  I knew something was wrong when the administration was using verbal threats against me at 14.  (oh boy)

The funny thing about those 3's is, everything else in my room's upgraded at least once since then.  My mom's come to me several times asking "when's it gonna be?" lol  But it will never happen.  This particular system is exactly how I want it to be - at least speaker wise - and even if I do end up with Epics or La Scalla's down the road, they'll be put on a brand new system for me to build.

I'd love to lay my hands on a Klipschorn though.  Even just to see one.  If 12 years has even a mono in store for me, I'd be one very happy kid. :)

• Like 2

Who knows ?

My audio ambitions were to own MTX speakers like my brother up until I was about 10.  Never crossed my mind that there might be something behind the fact they were 12" woofers, but even I could lift the boxes. lol  I'd say right now, my hopes are to get a pair of La Scalla II's or Epic CF-4's after graduation.

I thought I was going to be a professional baseball player,or football player. And if that didn't work out a Marine Biologist.The Real Estate Industry was the last thing I thought I'd be involved in.

I was going to be a meteorologist.  Of course the older I am now, I realize I wouldn't be able to take all the flack.  Those guys get seriously ripped on during the winter.  Totally brutal!

I always wanted to be a gynecologist but alas it never happened.  Too much school.  I still dabble as an amateur from time to time however.

• Like 4

Who knows ?

I always wanted to be a gynecologist but alas it never happened.  Too much school.  I still dabble as an amateur from time to time however.

post-58712-0-15420000-1419968104_thumb.j

I always wanted to be a gynecologist but alas it never happened. Too much school. I still dabble as an amateur from time to time however.

Lol, closest thing our HS has was home ed.

Maybe it is because I am one but, yes there was a butthead on about every corner.

Nice setup those 3's...

Who knows ?

Good thing you didn't say proctologist ! Nothing worse than going to see one and feeling 2 hands on your shoulders.

• Like 3

I love how thread drift works on this site. :lol:

Billy!  I think what I'm gonna do here relatively soon is see about getting all of that setup in one shot.  Might even include my two Selmer's, trumpets are horns after all... :D

That should workout pretty good! Good shot!

Just stumbled onto your story.  Wonderful!  While there were a couple of others, I also was rather isolated in HS spending my time in Allied and Lafayette catalogs dreaming of things I couldn't afford.  You reminded me of my first attempt to improve a system.  My mother had an RCA console, quite modest.  It had two oval speakers with "whizzer" cone.  I'd noted they were precisely the size of the speakers in a Voice of Music portable at school, but that system had a separate tweeter.  I bet, successfully, that not a soul would ever note the difference if I did a switcheroo.  They didn't.  However, the improvement in my mom's system was noticeable and I was on the road to upgrades for life. 

Of course, for those of us of my age, we were lucky to ride the general audio craze that preceded HT for a couple of decades.  Our expertise was prized by many and we were the gurus who were welcome everywhere as those who could help people beat the neighbors in the stereo game. 

Alas, we are alone again in our pursuit as the fickle masses now engage in a race for more speakers in the ceiling and wherever, and the ever larger and still flat as a pancake video screen at which they stare entranced except when their attention is distracted to the incoming text messages.

But, for some of us, as the motto of my college music fraternity said "kaliboei kahleis psychen" (though I may have butchered the English spelling) "Music charms the soul."   

Dave  

• Like 3