DIY 6H30 Linestage

Wardsweb

WIth very little burn in and listening time, I do like what I am hearing. I have paired it with a 2A3 SET amp I built years ago. Now to find some nice high efficiency vintage Klipsch to go with this. What do you think about some Heresey that need some work for this little system? That way I can pick them up cheaper and refurbish them how I want.

setsystem.jpg

Oh Yummy!... very nice.

one question... I had thought the flat side bees wax Jupiter were better suited for low voltage applications as opposed to others like the Jupiter Coppers?

if you ever put that thing up for sale... do us all a favor, do it here on the forum

Oh Yummy!... very nice.

one question... I had thought the flat side bees wax Jupiter were better suited for low voltage applications as opposed to others like the Jupiter Coppers?

if you ever put that thing up for sale... do us all a favor, do it here on the forum

I don't know about the difference in sound between the wax and copper, but I do know this system is sounding very good. I just need some better speakers to get the most out of it.

Beautiful work! I clearly remember your builds over the years, including the 2a3 monoblocks shown above, as well as a personalized version or two of the Foreplay.

I didn't see a circuit description of this new linestage, but it appears to be a common cathode or cathode follower topology with valve rectification (with choke -- good!) for B+ and filtered DC (via the solid state full-wave bridge rectifier) for the 6H30 filaments.

The output capacitors seem from the picture to have a value over 1uf, which might suggest a lower output impedance cathode follower. Can you clarify? Always interested in circuit design and, again, a surgically well-done execution with chassis work and lead dressing! Erik

Mark,

I have one of your original Merlins and still find it to be delightful. Do you have differing mods for this or  single upgrade? I assume I would be keeping the 9622/6DJ8 tube.

Perhaps I should send an email...

Bruce

Hey there, Mark!

Single stage common cathode seems accurate to me, too. The JM Peach was such a fine preamp, I remember it truly very vividly, and how it did not seem to 'editorialize' in the way way some other preamps I have made and used had -- altering the sound in ways I can describe as pleasant, but perhaps in a euphonic and not entirely accurate sort way -- the qualifier in this last statement having to do with the fact that accuracy can be something of an elusive entity and often difficult to quantify. The Peach was clean and open, and had very useful impedance matching characteristics with associated equipment. I quite honestly regret I didn't purchase one when the opportunity presented itself.

Hope all is well with you! Erik