Matching a turntable with Heritage speakers?

jimjimbo

OK, so there is a distinct possibility that I will purchase a new turntable....didn't think it would happen, but, well, you know....

However, definitely not spending more than $500.  I know, some of you spend much more than that on just a tonearm or cartridge, but, I can't justify that right now.

So, my question would be, is there such a thing as audio or sonic "matching" a type or brand of turntable with Heritage speakers (CW, Belle, LS)?.  Will be listening primarily to classic rock, blues, jazz.

Some of the models that I've read about in the price range that are well reviewed are:

Audio-Technica AT LP120

Rega RP1

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Any opinions on the above?

no... no such thing as "sonic matching".

most of the magic will happen with the cartridge and or pre amp selection... so choose wisely.

at that price level... $500... most anything you buy will be a slight compromise, so just get whatever one fit your fancy and is esthetically pleasing to you.

remember, direct drives are slightly more audible/rumble.

last thing... buy used, save your self some money or have the ability to buy a slightly better table for the same money.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 3

Jim

When you say new do you mean new? I've seen some great tables recently not too far off from your price range. Also my neighbor rick who you met bought a techniques SL 1200, i believe. He's happy with it and I think it sounds great. Pretty sure he spent around $300. Its a DJ table from what I understand and has good motor that gets up to speed quickly. I think due to the DJ reputation its been looked down upon by the audiophile community. 

The table you heard at my house in dec has been a lot of fun and a real adventure. From my experience the TT is the most fickle and with that the priciest piece in the system. Theres a ton of synergy at work within the chain. Table, platter, arm, cartridge, phono stage and depending on the table isolation. I audition 3 different phono stages and heard clear audible differences from them all. The cartridge you heard on my table is what I'd consider pricey but I did my research and it has lived up to what I read and has justified its cost. I did buy it with my table and it had been in use for a month according to the seller whom I know and trust. In the last day I moved my table from where it was when you were here. I knew that it wasn't in the best of places but it was easy and convenient when I first go it so there it stayed for 3 months. With free time over the holiday I rearranged and its like a new system. Its crazy how much better it sounds with vibrations being reduced. Its night and day. That may not be a concern with all table Im sure some deal with the issue better i.e. heavier plinth etc. Our friend J weber had the same table as I and made a comment so that inspired the change. He wasn't blowing smoke.

Anyways feel free to hit me up if you think I can be of help in your quest I'd be happy to do so.

Hope you're good and enjoying the holiday. Happy New Year! and its about time to get another chicaoland session on the calendar. 

Edited by Lemon string

"...I think due to the DJ reputation its been looked down upon by the audiophile community...."

It was a audio turntable before there were DJ tables. It's just an average table with a fair tonearm, that's why it's not rated higher by audio guys.

Edited by russ69

I really liked mine, and it was wonderfully built, but I sold it to help pay for other upgrades. I am using an old 1970s vintage Yamaha YP-B4 table in its place with the same cart and preamp and the sound is just about as good. It was a table that was given to me. Oddly enough I sold the Techinics because I wasn't listening to records, and since setting up the Yamaha in its place it has received a fair amount of use. TTs like the Yamaha are easy to find in the $50-150 range.

yp-b4.JPG

Edited by tromprof

I am very appreciative of all of the advice.  However, I am extremely hesitant to purchase a used TT, reasons being:

1.  Not a whole bunch of audio enthusiasts in my area, and I don't want to ship anything used...(other than a few of you fine folks)

2.  As I am at the beginning of this journey (and it may be short, we'll see...), I don't want to have to refurbish or recondition a used unit.

3.  Testing and auditioning a used unit would be a challenge, as again, being a newbie to vinyl, I don't yet know many of the intricacies to look for

So, I made a decision to go with a very reasonably priced unit, but an also very well reviewed unit (by several publications), which is the Audio Technica AT-LP120.  Seemingly well built, decent cartridge, and....a warranty.....bonus!

If I decide to get more involved with vinyl, I'll upgrade.  But for now, I think this will get me going.  If anyone has this particular unit, and want to offer any tips or advice, I would certainly welcome it.  Thanks!!  Happy New Year to everyone! 

I am very appreciative of all of the advice. However, I am extremely hesitant to purchase a used TT, reasons being:

1.  Not a whole bunch of audio enthusiasts in my area, and I don't want to ship anything used...(other than a few of you fine folks)

2.  As I am at the beginning of this journey (and it may be short, we'll see...), I don't want to have to refurbish or recondition a used unit.

3.  Testing and auditioning a used unit would be a challenge, as again, being a newbie to vinyl, I don't yet know many of the intricacies to look for

Wise view, but I'd say if you run across a used Basis 'table, you should seriously consider it, especially if it's a 2001, a suspended (even quieter) table, you'd have a very high-class item that really makes a difference in sound quality, quiet background, and fullness IMO.  Someone on the forum grabbed a Basis w/Graham arm and good cart a few months ago and I think he was pretty happy with it.

I agree that shipping is a concern unless you can do a direct person-to-person handoff or the seller has original packaging and knows how to pack it.  A dealer should pack something like a suspended Basis.

Good luck!

The Project with the 2M Red.  You COULD do better on the used market if you have a lot of experience and are willing to wait.  However, the most secure route is the Project or other sub-500.00 table with cartridge included and mounted.  The designers have chosen the best match and already handled the install, so you are pretty close to plug and play and can have confidence it's all good. 

Even after over 40 years I sweat and worry over a cartridge install.  I note that Audio Adviser has it for 399.00 at the moment.  Excellent deal on a highly regarded table.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

AT-LP120-USB includes the AT95E cartridge, replacing the ATP-2XN cartridge.[/size]

Please PM me regarding your cartridge that you might have for sale.  Thanks.[/size]

The dl103r is a very low output MC cart, so it requires a sut unit in addition to a pre amp... more cost.