where to get nice furniture?

Paducah Home Theater

Extremely disappointed in the state of furniture nowadays, most of it is overpriced junk. Can't seem to find what I need in general and even if I do it is junk. Figured some of you have some taste so I'd ask here.

Looking for adult sized bedroom furniture, solid wood or plywood, no MDF, no particle board, drawers needs to have nice cabinet grade bearings with soft-close functionality, needs to be solid bright white, not antique white, and have silver metal pulls. Where would I find such a thing? We are seriously considering making some myself due to not being able to find anything. Even went and got a quote and design for making stuff out of KraftMaid cabinets.

Everything I have found has junk bearings, is antique white, has lots of MDF, has round white pulls making it look like kids furniture, is smaller than usual for kids, and sometimes all of the above and then some.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

MLO,

You may have to hire a pro cabinet maker or DIY. I am considering purchasing a dining room set online from the Amish. They're a little pricey and I'm hoping the quality matches the price. There are many websites that deal with the Amish for you, but I don't know about white bedroom furniture. I never looked for it, perhaps they have something you would like.

Edited by babadono

I don't know about white bedroom furniture. I never looked for it, perhaps they have something you would like.

I did have trouble searching for kitchen cabinets with them due to the white. They like natural wood stains and finishes so they can put it on by hand. For it to look like a factory finish in white you have to spray it with thick paint and specialized sprayers unless you take a really long time on it and do it by hand, but it isn't perfectly smooth by hand. I'm fine with it if I'm the one doing it though.

You can get them unfinished too though, that may be an option.

I did just find a custom cabinet maker who is a regular person locally, he said he can build it. Worst case I'll go with him. Will probably try to make my own though, at least part of it. I'm cool with everything except the drawers. Anything I make will use lots of wood glue and Kreg screws. I don't have the kind of setup or know how it would take to build dovetailed stuff. Not sure why it would be all that necessary though. If you build a drawer out of 1/2" baltic birch and glue the crap out of it, I seriously doubt it is going to fail.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I don't know how to hook you up, but the Amish stuff can bed bought directly from the Amish, and I think they can make stuff to spec.

Does anyone know how to deal directly with the Amish? I believe most of the online guys are middlemen.

I kind of do, I have a number for some builders in Bowling Green KY. Basically they have a community phone on a pole outside. You have to call forever until somebody walks by. When you get somebody on the phone you have to request a callback from a certain person, they'll call back in a day or two.

We also work with some fence and pole barn amish builders, basically for some reason they let a normal guy into their community to live there. That guy has a cell phone, you hire him, but all his workers are amish, and he actually lives in the amish community.

So, yeah it's a weird setup. Mennonites are much easier to deal with, you just call their cell phone, done.

Stickley still makes good stuff, but I found some QC lapses in my bedroom furniture.

I also fault Stickley for relying on their dealers to administer their warranty claims, so their warranty service is only as responsive as your dealer.

40% off msrp is standard.

Edit: they don't have white finishes so just ignore this...

Edited by FuzzyDog

• Moderators

For cabinets usually a custom cabinet maker is not much more than the junk in the stores, just better.

For sofas and chairs flexsteel seems to last.

If you build a drawer out of 1/2" baltic birch and glue the crap out of it, I seriously doubt it is going to fail.

I built everything here, I tend to overkill everything. The drawers are 3/4" local pine, there still fine and it's been around 17 years. If you remove one better hold on with two hands. 

• Like 1

Anything like you are looking for in my neck of the woods just for a bedroom set will run your $5,000.00 plus. Nice dark wood though. My kiln burnt pine bedroom set was $2500.00 and has no mdf or anything in it.It's all thick wood also. Nice coloring to it with wrought iron. But I haven't seen anything like you're looking for under $5,000.00.Try North Carolina companies that ship, they may do better, or the Amish. The sets I'm talking about are very large sleigh bed types with columns or posts and very large chests and bureaus.Night stands are almost as big as a small dresser

We mail ordered all our Lexington stuff from North Carolina.  Much cheaper than purchasing local.  Solid oak, dove tail, etc.  It seems that North Carolina is the furniture capital of the US for some reason.

That's what I did back in 1998, except is was from the Kincaid factory and my bedroom set is solid maple.

Looks the same today as it did when I bought it.

Buying wholesale from the factory is the way to go.  I think I saved about 45% off retail if my memory serves we well.

Here is a photo of my double dresser and landscape mirror.  I got the speakers somewhere else. ;)  :D

Bill

post-24680-0-02660000-1419903902_thumb.j

• Moderators
oldtimer, on 29 Dec 2014 - 7:16 PM, said:

dtel, on 29 Dec 2014 - 6:35 PM, said: For sofas and chairs flexsteel seems to last

I'm sitting on a flexsteel sofa right now from the 70's.  It's on its third upholstery job and is still solid as a rock.

I cleaned my aunts house after the hurricane and she had flexsteal, when removed after 4 weeks in water there was no rust on the metal underframe and wood was just fine, and still could have been reupholstered really. We were so impressed when we were looking we remembered the brand. It holds up better than anything we have had before and will eventually be reupholstered I would think.