where to get nice furniture?

Paducah Home Theater

A long time ago I worked for a store that sold mid grade furniture. Coming away from that I learner that the more you have to put together when you get it, the worse it is. But I'm sure you're looking for stuff MUCH better than that.

Driving through eastern Indiana, south of Ft. Wayne, we saw lots of Amish buggies.

This is my first attempt at homemade furniture.  Not perfect and VERY simple, but whatever, at least its not stinky and weak Chinese MDF.  My theater room doubles as my office. I tried to get some bookshelves and a desk locally. Best I could find in black around here was Ashley, which is ridiculous in general, but I figured I'd try it since it wouldn't see much traffic. Had high hopes but within a couple of hours it literally stunk up half the house. I kept them over a long weekend and half the house literally smelled like formaldehyde. They had a no returns policy on the receipt but I took it back anyway and started unloading. Thankfully they took it back. I just built my own after that. Simple stuff is ok but the drawers are a little intimidating. Anyway, here's my desk before I finished it, like I said, VERY simple, but its solid wood legs and everything else is 13 ply baltic birch.  Shelves are below that, probably going to put blue pearl granite on top.  I only have them primed so far, need to sand and paint.  Everything is upside down obviously.  Would be nice to be able to find pre-made stuff that is made out of decent materials and already painted white.  

10473066_10152616265309401_5218080270266

10847852_10152648973184401_8353598431792

• Like 1

I went through the same thing.  I picked up a Henredon bed during the recession for $600 (a $12,000 solid Mahogony frame).  So I gave my 4 year old bedroom set to my mother and designed a matching bedroom set and had it built. 

I love it.  Bought Louis and Vought drawer slides, made the drawers really deep, solid marble tops, just the way I want it.  But it was not cheap.  It will last a lifetime though.  I really overdesigned it.  Heavy.  The similar pieces from Hendredon were about $50,000 (dresser, mirror, end tables and armoir) so this was a really good deal.

Here is an idea, check Craigslist regularly.  Every once in a while you will see a really nice set for sale.  About $5,000 - $6,000 will get you a really high end set in perfect shape that should last the rest of your life. 

Extremely disappointed in the state of furniture nowadays, most of it is overpriced junk. Can't seem to find what I need in general and even if I do it is junk. Figured some of you have some taste so I'd ask here.  Looking for adult sized bedroom furniture, solid wood or plywood, no MDF, no particle board, drawers needs to have nice cabinet grade bearings with soft-close functionality, needs to be solid bright white, not antique white, and have silver metal pulls. Where would I find such a thing? We are seriously considering making some myself due to not being able to find anything. Even went and got a quote and design for making stuff out of KraftMaid cabinets.Everything I have found has junk bearings, is antique white, has lots of MDF, has round white pulls making it look like kids furniture, is smaller than usual for kids, and sometimes all of the above and then some.

This story probably explains a lot of the problem.  Our financial industry doesn't give a crap about anything, like jobs, people and quality, except making a very privileged bunch of plutocrats, and driving American quality into the ground:

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Man-Furniture-Offshoring-American/dp/0316231436/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419973233&sr=1-1&keywords=factory+man.  Just MHO of course.

Edited by LarryC

• 6 years later...
14 minutes ago, Alex2233 said:

We are currently furnishing our house, so sorry for bumping this thread, but it is helpful for me. First of all, thanks for sharing your experience. I noticed that a lot of people prefer buying furniture items on Amazon (I guess, because of the prices and delivery). Also, I've recently found a site that provided me with the reviews of different recliners (again with links to Amazon). I should say, some of them are supposed to be comfortable and fit great in our living room. But still, it would be good to check other online shops. What sites do you use to buy furniture today? I need a pair of recliners and a new sofa. 

Today's shopper....go to the store to try it out, go home to buy it online.

• Like 1

What @Tarheel said back there.  I wanted a leather couch and picked out a Bradington-Young couch.  Thing was 5k and a beast but just what I wanted.  Friend gave me a name where they were made and I started nosin and called a broker there.  Yup, np they could get that one made by Bradington-Young employees in "training,"   Leather color?  Went back to the store and asked for a piece of the sample color they had and they cut a piece off for me to check w/the carpet color.. hahaha  Sent it to the place in Carolina and boom 6 weeks later had my couch.  Made by Bradington-Young.  Delivered by a Mom & Pop company, unwrapped and put in place where I wanted it  Total price?  $1900 and about $250 delivered.  Still have it and it rocks!  Nose brother nose.  Call the Chamber of Commerce there and ask.  They'll turn ya on to someone dealing they know.  It ALWAYS works.  Don't buy from the company discounters cause w/some nosin you can find the same thing or close cheaper w/a phone call.  Did my entire house that way.  Just pretend you're talking to someone who's buying jubes!  hahaha  Get 'em!  Check this couch out...  Insane https://www.hookerfurnitureoutlet.com/product/960-55-68-56/  Good luck.

Edited by Dave1291
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Try a google search for High Point, NC  furniture outlets.  High Point is the furniture capital.  Don't know about shipping cost though.

Even with shipping it's cheaper than local furniture stores and better quality than most of what they stock.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:22 AM, Alex2233 said:

We are currently furnishing our house, so sorry for bumping this thread, but it is helpful for me. First of all, thanks for sharing your experience. I noticed that a lot of people prefer buying furniture items on Amazon (I guess, because of the prices and delivery). Also, I've recently found a site that provided me with the reviews of different recliners (again with links to Amazon). I should say, some of them are supposed to be comfortable and fit great in our living room. But still, it would be good to check other online shops. What sites do you use to buy furniture today? I need a pair of recliners and a new sofa. 

If the recliners and sofa are for your Home Theater or Music Room, you may want to:

• Avoid reflective leather or the artificial equivalent because something shiny will reflect the high frequencies back at your ears too soon.  Cloth, or a cloth cover, quilt, or throw-over may help if you really want leather.  This is especially important if you have a room EQ device like Audyssey or Dirac, with the microphone positions where your head(s) would be.
  • It's possible that the farther apart the  audience members are, the worse the imaging/soundstage.
  • Make sure the recliners provide a comfortable position that doesn't put wearers of bifocals or trifocals so far back that they end up looking at the screen through the close-up/magnifying area of their glasses.