Power Cords (Oh, Sh*t)

eth2

Thanks Sancho.

I don't want to get into another Uberbuss discussion. I don't know if power cords make a difference, but am willing to gamble $50 or $60 per cord. There were some good reviews of this power cord.

Grab one off an old PC or monitor and use it for now.  Spend a couple hundred bucks on ordering another one.  Once you get the high dollar one in and replace the cheap one, start a thread on how it did or didn't make a difference.

I can wait.

• Like 2

Thanks Sancho.

I don't want to get into another Uberbuss discussion. I don't know if power cords make a difference, but am willing to gamble $50 or $60 per cord. There were some good reviews of this power cord.

Grab one off an old PC or monitor and use it for now.  Spend a couple hundred bucks on ordering another one.  Once you get the high dollar one in and replace the cheap one, start a thread on how it did or didn't make a difference.

I can wait.

lol  B)

Earl, have you considered renting some power cords to try from the Cable Company?  It's a very cheap way to try before purchasing.

http://www.thecableco.com/Catalog/Power-Cables

With power cords it is really easy to arrange a blind listening test in which you won't know what you are listening to.  That would be exceedingly enlightening and, since changing power cords won't affect the level at which you are listening, the impressions should be quite valid.  It would be interesting to see if you can differentiate cord "A" from cord "B" on a consistent basis (using a cheap Chinese computer cable as a control would be really good).  I used to do all kinds of experiments along these lines and the results were often not what one would have expected!

Maynard

• Like 1

OK, I should have known better than raise this issue. With the exception of Maynard, I guess the consensus is that since "it can't hurt" I should go for it. Perhaps the definition of "hurt" needs to be explored. If I was to spend $1,000 for a power cord (x3 since I have mono blocks and a preamp...and let's not forget the CD player, so x4) $4,000 and there is no appreciable difference...except to my already depleted bank account I can report back (just the results, no details). And gee...let's throw in one of them, there Uberbuss thingies just for the hell of it.

At least Maynard gives me a way out (renting).

Thanks, guys. I almost forgot I just asked if anyone had any experience with a particular, cheap (relatively) brand of power cord.

I need to buy power cords for the VRD's, and I do not intend to be stupid extravagant about it.

Does anyone have any experience with Pangea?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030EY5BI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15OOFJ01NGILN

Yep, i like these, 9Ga is plenty, reviews look good except a little on the stiff side, but for the money, id get em.

• Like 1