forte speaker placement reccommendations?

this forum is the most wonderful thing ever!

i just moved my forte I speakers out from the wall about two feet at the closest corner of the speaker when toed in...i have only listened to then briefly in their new position (i woke up in the middle of the night and had to do it), but i am noticing greater imaging. i am still trying to figure out if the low end response suffers at all from the new placement.

what are your thoughts,please?

has anyone found that magical placement that brings tears of happiness?

Im sure the fortes are just like my quartets...they have to sit in facing in from the corners. That way they get the most rumble from the passive radiator off the wall in both directions from the corner wall.

Look at the wall, 90% angle and toe them in at a 45% angle....see if that helps.

THANKS OHKNATS!!!

i didn t have enough wire to get ALL the way to the corners, would you believe that i am about a foot shy ?

anyway, the improvement was immediately noticeable. my only concern is the distance from speaker to speaker and to my listening spot. 13 feet from each other and 10 feet from me...

thanks again for the advice cwm35.gif

Do buy some more wire so you can fool around and find an optimal position. There are no "pat" answers. It is mostly a matter of finding a good place for your situation. That goes for the location of the speakers and also where you're sitting.

I have a pair of Forte II in my office and listen to WFMT, classical, every day, all day. They are pretty much pushed back in the corners. That gives some symetry so I can sit in the middle. As the song says, "I like to dream, right between the sound machine. In a cloud of sound I drift . . ." Whoops, I diverge.

Perhaps you are worried that pulling the units away from the corner will compromise bass, while you're trying to find a good placement and aiming for imaging in the treble.

My belief is that these gems have such astoundingly bass response that it is not going to be compromised by moving them around to optimise the treble.

So, I'd say to start with a set up where the horns are aimed at your listening position. If that sounds to "hot", you could move them so that the listening position is 20 degrees off axis.

Again, I wouldn't worry about the bass issues. They take care of it all by themselves. On the other hand, do look for some sort of symetry for imaging and the midrange.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-07-2002 at 12:48 AM

thanks William!

there is going to be a collective gasp, BUT i spliced some additional speaker wire together to give myself more room to work with and i have been having quite the work-out moving these two around the room. I was suprised that a minimal movement closer to the corner made such a difference in the low end response.

oh, i AM the eager pupil and will continue my experiments til i cannot improve anything.

Glad to hear that you're experimenting.

Your commments forced me to re-examine what sort of advice I give, or anyone gives. All should be taken with a grain of salt.

I firmly believe that wire issues are overblown. So splicing is okay. There are good technical reasons to think so. Yet some people have very firm convictions to the contrary, advocating the merits of expensive wire and interconnects. I can't find technical reasons to believe this.

On the other hand, I do believe that placement is an important issue. Again, everyone's room is different and it tough to predict what is good or bad.

In placement, I'm suggesting that there is reason to believe there is no one correct solution. So I'm in agreement if your tweeking gives good results. However, what is good for your room might be bad for another's room. So we can't get dogmatic about what is good or bad.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-07-2002 at 09:23 PM

reluctant,

For me, the best setup, that produced that magical moment , was Nearfield listening. I have my kg4 on stands bringing the horn about ear level, toed in so that each horn is pointing approximately at each of my shoulders, The speakers are about 6 feet apart. My soundstange is not as deep as normal, but its very wide and it's like I'm in the same room as the players.

Bringing the speakers away from the wall improved the sound, with some expense to the low end.

This site also has great information on room setup. George Cardas is good. Some good technical info on this site.

http://www.cardas.com/insights/index.html

Do some experimentation on Nearfield as it can get the sound to your ears before it gets messed up by room acoustics.

- tb