Receiver for RF-62 II 5.1 setup for Music & Movies

Dinesh

Hi,

I am new to the forum and need some help setting up a home theater for watching movies as well as listening to music. I want the advise on which receiver to buy for powering the RF-62 II 5.1 setup. 

I tried the Sony STR DN840 but wasn't happy. My budget is flexible and really depends on what would work best for the setup. 

Can you guys please recommend which receiver would work best for the setup?

Thanks for the help in advance!

All the major brands such as, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Marantz have some nice mid priced avr's.  I favor the Pioneer's and others will have there favorites.  Get something with networking, 4K, and nice room correction software.  A sub is a must for HT and will compliment the RF 62 II's.

Welcome to the forum and stick around.  Others will help you get the most out of your system.

Dinesh,

Welcome to the forum.

There really is no best but I am not surprised about the Sony AVR.  They are not too well received around here unless maybe an ES version AVR.

As mentioned, the major brands(based on model you choose) Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, will all do a fine job with HT.

Where are you located?

Bill

Edited by willland

I just got rid of my Denon X4000 because I wasn't happy with the output with my RF-62/RC-62 HT. I will be going back to Pioneer Elite, probably the SC-85 or 87. I am now also considering that Marantz^^^, almost too cheap to pass on and I have always wanted to try Marantz.

^ I agree x1000 with Shu. If you're good on money PLEASE buy a pre-pro setup. Your ears will thank you! :)

overrated IMO. The 7007 for 699$ is a great deal. Spending two or three times on a pre/pro and amp than you did on your speakers isn't the route to go IN MY OPINION of course.
  • Like 2

Here is some advice,

Get one with PRE-OUTS for an amp! If you hang around here long enough, you will be tempted into adding an amplifier to your system. If you don't have pre-outs, adding an amp isn't an option, so you will have to buy a new receiver.

I just did an install using an Onkyo TX-NR828, 3 RB-81s, 4 RS-52s & 2 SVS PC12NBs. The 3 amps I used are Behringer A500 (which I wouldn't recommend but they are inexpensive). If I A/B'd that model Onkyo vs my own...I bet I couldn't tell a difference.

It's $599 on Prime, is 7.2 (w/preouts) and the very excellent Audyssey XT32.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR828-7-2-Channel-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B00CILJB0E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420215963&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+tx-nr828

^ I agree x1000 with Shu. If you're good on money PLEASE buy a pre-pro setup. Your ears will thank you! :)

overrated IMO. The 7007 for 699$ is a great deal. Spending two or three times on a pre/pro and amp than you did on your speakers isn't the route to go IN MY OPINION of course.

I too thought it was overrated until actually heard a couple of setups with them, one of which was the same speakers I'm running. It's just not the same. Dynamics are unleashed more than anything. That's not to say I'd do this while still only running RF-62ii's though, that's like putting a Hemi in a Prius. Get a nice receiver and be done with it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Thanks for the response guys, I really appreciate it.

How about Onkyo TX-NR727 ? I am hoping I can get something good in around $500 budget but if there is a better deal than I am ok to spend little more.

If that's your budget, I'd strongly recommend the Marantz over the Onkyo.  Gives you some better performance, a bit cleaner power, all channel pre-outs and a chance to fill in some gaps in the surround profile if you ever need.  There's a good number of people that also have issues with Onkyo and HDMI.  Others have problems with some of the more beefy Klipsch speakers as well (such as the RF-7 II) should you ever decide to upgrade.

For an extra $200 over your budget you could have an absolute monster that sounds good and flat out works.  I promise you won't regret it.

Edited by IbizaFlame

$500 budget... keep your eye open for an Ice Based Pioneer elite. I just sold my SC35 for 350$ to a friend.... hard to replace at anywhere near that price.

look for SC05/07/09 SC35/37.

they are an amazing little amps that will easily do 5.1 and is dead silent.

here is a SC25 @299

Edited by Schu

I too thought it was overrated until actually heard a couple of setups with them, one of which was the same speakers I'm running. It's just not the same. Dynamics are unleashed more than anything. That's not to say I'd do this while still only running RF-62ii's though, that's like putting a Hemi in a Prius. Get a nice receiver and be done with it.
finally! Alright metro! Now we are seeing eye to eye on something. Rf-7ii theater? Yes I'd get an amp. Rf-62ii home theater? No way. Just not necessary. Now I would listen to EVERYONE else and get something with pre amp outputs should you decide you wanna give an amp a go. My money would be spent on the Marantz that everyone suggested. I've just read too many issues with onkyo to trust them. And pioneer just isn't my flavor of tea. Lots on here like them and I've played with them before just not my flavor. Plus I prefer audyssey for movies over mcacc. And then I do like mcacc with music. Not sure of more than audyssey but it does a great job. To me the hold back on mcacc is no sub eq plus one sweet spot. Now we can argue all day that it's our gig so why not just one sweet spot? I agree. To an extent. I go to a buddies house and he refuses to let me sit anywhere but his chair as he says every other chair sucks. He come to my

House and with music likes my chair. For movies he will take any seat on the front row and likes them equally.

$500 budget... keep your eye open for an Ice Based Pioneer elite. I just sold my SC35 for 350$ to a friend.... hard to replace at anywhere near that price.

look for SC05/07/09 SC35/37.

they are an amazing little amps that will easily do 5.1 and is dead silent.

here is a SC25 @299

Truth in advertising:  I looked long and hard at that when you posted that for sale, and wish I hadn't thought so much (procrastinated) and picked up the phone to you!  Sweet deal.  B)

+++

Dinesh:   You are asking about the 727, I have the Onk 717, which is the older 2012 model of the 727.  The big difference is the 727 has Bluetooth, and built-in wireless (the 717 is wired).  Understand that if you use it for bi-amping, you will lose the 7.2 and have 5.2 only, you can't have both at the same time.

I love mine, and have had zero problems with it in two years.  I do advise you to research the well known problems Onk has with HDMI failures.  I know the older models including mine is on the danger list, but I don't know if they fixed that with the 727.

I bought mine specifically because it had the pre-outs so I could add external amps, but frankly mine has been able to drive my 5.1 setup and plays louder than I can take, and there is easily another 15% I do not use, so I haven't bothered with external amps.

If the 727 does NOT have the HDMI board problem (it kills the audio) then I think it will be a great AVR for you.  If it DOES have the HDMI problem, that is a deal breaker, and I advise you to pass.

Edited by wvu80

The new version of MCACC has multiple sweet spots and the ability to EQ your subs, with that said the new Pioneer receivers are probably out of your price range. The X32 is supposed to be at the top of the food chain when it comes to auto calibrations and probably still has the advantage over MCACC.