Receiver for RF-62 II 5.1 setup for Music & Movies

Dinesh

@@wvu80,

Thanks for the advise, I searched more about 727 and found a lot of people complaining about the HDMI problem. You are right and I am passing on it.

@@IbizaFlame,

I am really tempted to get this one. Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units? Do they work well specially because the warranty is only for a year?

@@IbizaFlame,  This one also seems good, anyone have any experience with this model?

I have a Denon AVR-1513 that I bought for use in one of the bedrooms that works extremely well.  These units are all fixed up to be as good as new if not better.  There is an option to get a full five year warranty too for another $60 - but I doubt you'd need to use it.

I bought a Refurbished Onkyo 818 a while back and had no problems with it. Now that the HDMI issue has been admitted to be an issue by Onkyo, I would probably pass on the brand all together.

I hope they recover from this, they really do make feature packed receivers for very good prices.

Edited by K5SS
  • Like 1

Seems like a pretty good deal on an A1020: http://www.accessori...-airplay/1.html   Or this monster Marantz (that I wish I could get) http://www.accessori...receiver/1.html

I am really tempted to get the Marantz (SR7007) one . Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units? Do they work well specially because the warranty is only for a year?

The Yamaha A1020 also seems good, anyone have any experience with this model?

Edited by Dinesh

I've had the opportunity to listen to the A1020 and the SR7008 (the model a year newer than the 7007).  Both are fantastic...the A1020 is probably about the lowest I'd go on the Yamaha chain...maybe the 820/30/40.  The SR7008 just put the Yamaha to absolute shame though.  The speakers that were in use were a full 7.1 set of Bowers & Wilkins.  The 7007 would likely do the same.

I would recommend a pioneer with the d-class "ice" amps. From a longevity perspective these things should run for years. I have a small onkyo receiver and that thing gets toasty hot when powering 50 watt speakers (just a 2.0 setup). My pioneer elite fires my rf-7s for hours and when I put my hand over the vent, it is barely warmer than room temp... I vote for pioneer elite SC (mine is an sc-65 9.2 channel beast). Deciding factor for mine was the 4k pass through for future proofing as well as the 9.2 channel in case I wanted to increase my arsenal. Steer clear of onkyo/integra... they overheat and are absolute junk.

Edited by Cosmic_surfer

I bought a Refurbished Onkyo 818 a while back and had no problems with it. Now that the HDMI issue has been admitted to be an issue by Onkyo, I would probably pass on the brand all together.

I hope they recover from this, they really do make feature packed receivers for very good prices.

The 818 is a step-up from my 717 and a great high mid-range or low high-end AVR.  If your 818's HDMI board should go (as someday I know mine will) there are some DIY fixes on Youtube.  Onk will fix your out-of-warranty 818 but ONLY after it fails.

The cause of the failures, an out-of-spec Toshiba component is so well known, it is incomprehensible why Onkyo would risk the reputation of their company on such a minor part they have refused to fix in manufacturing for years.

I am really tempted to get the Marantz (SR7007) one . Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units? Do they work well specially because the warranty is only for a year?

Do a google search, I have seen multiple reviews that say their refurbs ought to be labeled as damaged goods, several people receiving units with significant costmetic damage.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response guys, I really appreciate it.

How about Onkyo TX-NR727 ? I am hoping I can get something good in around $500 budget but if there is a better deal than I am ok to spend little more.

Dinesh,

I speak from personal experience with the Onkyo's as well as some others on here. They have nothing but issues with the HDMI Boards, so you may most likely have an issue down the line with them. They have all the bells ans whistles with them,but what good are bells and whistles if you can't hear them or enjoy them? (Sorry should have read the whole thread).

If you have a budget around $500.00, look at Yamaha, they have the RX A series which is a very good line. I have the RX A2020. There is going to be a difference in sound on all receivers you get, so look at what type sound you'd like. 

In my opinion, Pioneer has more bass in their sound and are a little more muddled with mids. Marantz has more in the mids and highs and lacks more on bass, and Yamaha has more of a sound geared towards musical instruments than they do voice sound.  There will be some who don't agree but that's what my ears hear. I have Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz, and have owned Onkyo and Pioneer.

The Marantz SR-7007 from what I heard personally, is nice but lacks the other bells and whistles let's say the Denon X-4000 does. Both are owned by the same company though and use a bunch of the same parts. I did not purchase it after listening to it though as I like hearing instruments and music more than I do voice. That was my preference though.  For the music aspect of it I chose Yamaha and have owned Yamaha's most of my life. I like the Denon I have which is better with movies and was expandable with speakers.

I am by no means as well hearsed as many others in the forum, but do know that I've had issues with Onkyo, and my ears seem to like Yamaha for music, and Denon and Marantz for voice. What is your focus going to be on? Music or Movies? That's where you should start as one is going to sound better than the other once set up.

.the A1020 is probably about the lowest I'd go on the Yamaha chain...maybe the 820/30/40. 

If you are looking to be able to upgrade with and external amp down the line don't go below the 1020, they don't have the pre out for amps lower than this. 

• Like 2

I am really tempted to get the Marantz (SR7007) one . Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units? Do they work well specially because the warranty is only for a year?

Do a google search, I have seen multiple reviews that say their refurbs ought to be labeled as damaged goods, several people receiving units with significant costmetic damage.

Are we talking through A4L or used elsewhere...because I've only read good things about the units from Accessories4Less.

• Like 1

I am really tempted to get the Marantz (SR7007) one . Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units? Do they work well specially because the warranty is only for a year?

Are we talking through A4L or used elsewhere...because I've only read good things about the units from Accessories4Less.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Accessories_4_Less

There's 78 reviews just on this one site, scroll down through them, lots of supposedly refurbished equipment being damaged, DOA, half of it doesn't work, etc. It seems to be a recurring theme, the same story over and over. Real refurbs that went to the factory shouldn't have so many problems like that. The reviews I mentioned were seen elsewhere but there's a pretty good place to see several in the same spot.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have purchased two receivers from accessories4less and both were in mint condition, bothe functionality and appearance.

I might have just got lucky.. The 50-60% discount on some of the top receivers was well worth the risk to me, especially with their return policy.

• Like 1

I have purchased two receivers from accessories4less and both were in mint condition, bothe functionality and appearance.

I might have just got lucky.. The 50-60% discount on some of the top receivers was well worth the risk to me, especially with their return policy.

I've talked to a large number of people who have had great success with the outlet as well.  Always some bad eggs out there I guess when you're dealing with the refurbished business.

I started with a low end Marantz 1402 and then upgraded to my Pioneer SC-1323 which has their Class D amps. I picked up the Pio from Amazon for around $500. The Pio is the better receiver in every way and noticeably improved sound quality...clearer, more bass impact, and improved dynamics.

• Like 1

I started with a low end Marantz 1402 and then upgraded to my Pioneer SC-1323 which has their Class D amps. I picked up the Pio from Amazon for around $500. The Pio is the better receiver in every way and noticeably improved sound quality...clearer, more bass impact, and improved dynamics.

A distributor rep I know claims Pioneer can hang with Marantz. Even if that's true, I think there is probably a brand image issue more than anything, Pioneer has too many years selling cheap car audio stuff at Wal-Mart while Marantz does everything possible to preserve its image.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Accessories_4_Less

There's 78 reviews just on this one site, scroll down through them, lots of supposedly refurbished equipment being damaged, DOA, half of it doesn't work, etc. It seems to be a recurring theme, the same story over and over. Real refurbs that went to the factory shouldn't have so many problems like that. The reviews I mentioned were seen elsewhere but there's a pretty good place to see several in the same spot.

always keep in mind more people write about bad stuff than good. I buy tons of stuff on amazon and only rate stuff I dislike. Only time I write good reviews is on here. Never write reviews on any other site.
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Based on the recommendations, I think I should go with Marantz. I am still not sure which one though. Below are what I am considering:

- SR6008

- SR6009

- SR7007

- SR7008

Am I right in assuming that the sound quality would be more or less same in all these models? The obvious differance that I can see between SR6000s and SR7000s is of the channels and power per channel. Also that the newer year version for each of these series offers wifi/bluetooth.

Please help me decide between these receivers.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. Based on the recommendations, I think I should go with Marantz. I am still not sure which one though. Below are what I am considering:

- SR6008

- SR6009

- SR7007

- SR7008

Please help me decide between these receivers.

Nice choice... you will not disappointed.

I would personally go with the 7007... I would not use more than 5 channels myself.

shop wisely as street prices are lower than MSRP

Edited by Schu

@@IbizaFlame, @@Jim, @@Schu, @@Scrappydue, @@MetropolisLakeOutfitters, @@FuzzyDog, @@K5SS, @@wvu80,   

Thank you guys, this forum has proved to be a wonderful resource for me and I am really thankful for your inputs. I want one final advise, which one of these two receivers would you go with?

- SR6008

- SR7007

Considering there is only $100 difference between the 7007 and 6008. Which one do you guys think would be better with RF-62 II Surround 5.1 setup? The 6008 being the newer year model contains some new features whereas the 7007 have more power. I don't plan to update my speaker for a long time so which receiver would work better for the current situation?

Please share any thoughts you may have to compare these models. I plan to make the final decision soon.