Receiver for RF-62 II 5.1 setup for Music & Movies

Dinesh

@@IbizaFlame, @@Jim, @@Schu, @@Scrappydue, @@MetropolisLakeOutfitters, @@FuzzyDog, @@K5SS, @@wvu80,   

Thank you guys, this forum has proved to be a wonderful resource for me and I am really thankful for your inputs. I want one final advise, which one of these two receivers would you go with?

- SR6008

- SR7007

Considering there is only $100 difference between the 7007 and 6008. Which one do you guys think would be better with RF-62 II Surround 5.1 setup? The 6008 being the newer year model contains some new features whereas the 7007 have more power. I don't plan to update my speaker for a long time so which receiver would work better for the current situation?

Please share any thoughts you may have to compare these models. I plan to make the final decision soon.

If you are wanting to future proof it to some extent, if possible I would try to stretch the budget and get an SR7008.  You bump up to Audessey XT32 which has a whole heck of a bunch more EQ points.  I wouldn't buy based on power.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

@@IbizaFlame@@MetropolisLakeOutfitters@@Scrappydue, @@Schu

Thank you for your inputs, I think I should get a SR7008 based on your comments. I am looking for the best place to buy now possibly with 3 year warranty.

So far what I see is 

A - $960 (refurbished with 3 year warranty) - Accessories4less.com

B - $1099 (new with I think default 3 year warranty) - abesofmaine.com

C - $1199 (new with 3 year warranty) - safeandsoundhq.com

Does anyone have any experience with abesofmaine.com? And is it worth considering the new vs. the refurbished when the price difference is $140 between them?

Does anyone have any experience with abesofmaine.com? And is it worth considering the new vs. the refurbished when the price difference is $140 between them?

If I'm not mistaken I think those guys like to sell gray market stuff, pretty sure Sony got pretty ticked about it. Notice how a Sony VPL-HW55ES is $900 cheaper than any other price you'll find advertised from an authorized dealer? Gray market, no warranty, have to buy a third party warranty.

They ought to show up here but don't.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Dealer/Pages/Authorized_OnlineDealers.aspx

Dinesh,

If you are looking to stay closer to your budget, I'd do the 7007, only because it would be cheaper, and it will still have the upgraded Audyssey if I'm not mistaken.If the budget is not the issue,the newer model is going to give you probably more peace of mind because it's "new". Just make sure you go on Marantz's site to see who is am approved online dealer so you get the warranty,otherwise if you went through let's say Ebay, get the warranty they offer. I've done that in the past and with my Onkyo's had to use it and they will either fix it,or give you your money back.

I definitely like the Audyssey better than YPAO for the sub part of it, although Yamaha automatically sets the crossover at the higher end of the speaker crossovers. The Audyssey I have on my Marantz and Denon are set so even newbies like myself can't mess up setting things up.

Also check A4L's site to make sure it's a 3 year warranty on a refurb, usually it's 1 year from what I've seen, and if it is, make sure you get the extended warranty from Marantz's site. They should also offer it.

The SR7008 just put the Yamaha to absolute shame though.  The speakers that were in use were a full 7.1 set of Bowers & Wilkins.  The 7007 would likely do the same.

Which store did you listen to these at? I know Best Buy hooks all their Marantz speakers to B&W's and the Yammies to Energy or Definitive Technology. When I asked them to hook them up to the same speakers they said they couldn't as they were on separate grids. I was listening to the 7007 and the Yammie RX-A3040. The Marantz sounded so much better with singing and other voice, but to me lacked the full sound stage with musical instruments, and the Yammie lacked with voice but had a wider sound stage and had nicer bass response.

The SR7008 just put the Yamaha to absolute shame though. The speakers that were in use were a full 7.1 set of Bowers & Wilkins. The 7007 would likely do the same.

Which store did you listen to these at? I know Best Buy hooks all their Marantz speakers to B&W's and the Yammies to Energy or Definitive Technology. When I asked them to hook them up to the same speakers they said they couldn't as they were on separate grids. I was listening to the 7007 and the Yammie RX-A3040. The Marantz sounded so much better with singing and other voice, but to me lacked the full sound stage with musical instruments, and the Yammie lacked with voice but had a wider sound stage and had nicer bass response.

how can you give any kind of differences when they were playing through two different speakers. I can tell you right now a b&w is much more of a neutral sounding speaker than a def tech. Do hearing different speakers on different avrs makes it kind of a wash for a comparison don't you think?
  • Like 1

The SR7008 just put the Yamaha to absolute shame though.  The speakers that were in use were a full 7.1 set of Bowers & Wilkins.  The 7007 would likely do the same.

A local AVR place in town.  They're actually the only ones that handle anything above big-box brands - sadly...no Klipsch there.  But like I said, they have a plentiful selection of Marantz receivers.

I use the sr6008 with my Klipsch Rf82II and it sounds great. I have tried the yamaha and pioneer before buying the Marantz and I am glad that I have done so. The Marantz gives out a little warmer sound and Klipsch being bright the combo will sound great. You can buy the SR6008 and save some money for an ext amp in future like the Emotiva's. 

If you are looking to stay closer to your budget, I'd do the 7007, only because it would be cheaper, and it will still have the upgraded Audyssey if I'm not mistaken.

SR7007 has Audyssey MultEQ XT. SR7008 has MultEQ XT32.  XT32 has four times the subwoofer EQ points and 32 times for everything else, 512 points/bands/whatever just for your highs vs. 16 with the SR7007.  

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors

If it's not worth it to you that's understandable but if actual room correction is your goal, I would think XT32 would be the goal.  

@IbizaFlame, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, @Scrappydue, @Schu, Thank you for your inputs, I think I should get a SR7008 based on your comments. I am looking for the best place to buy now possibly with 3 year warranty. So far what I see is A - $960 (refurbished with 3 year warranty) - Accessories4less.com B - $1099 (new with I think default 3 year warranty) - abesofmaine.com C - $1199 (new with 3 year warranty) - safeandsoundhq.com Does anyone have any experience with abesofmaine.com? And is it worth considering the new vs. the refurbished when the price difference is $140 between them?

Dinesh, I have been following your thread and I am also interested in the 7008.  I asked about them at Abe's when discussing some TV pricing.  They have two prices for the 7008, the 1099. price is for the non-USA version (gray mkt, no warranty), the USA model with warranty is listed on their site as 1599.  I think this is an advertised price per Marantz guidance -- although they told me they would discount it to 1399. (USA model).  Nothing is simple.    Ed

Dinesh, I have been following your thread and I am also interested in the 7008. I asked about them at Abe's when discussing some TV pricing. They have two prices for the 7008, the 1099. price is for the non-USA version (gray mkt, no warranty), the USA model with warranty is listed on their site as 1599. I think this is an advertised price per Marantz guidance -- although they told me they would discount it to 1399. (USA model). Nothing is simple. Ed

It shouldn't be complicated. The short version is that if a dealer is openly advertising online, with a shopping cart, and shipping across the country, with a factory warranty, they should be on that page if they are legit. I'd recommend finding a local installer to support, or buying from an authorized online dealer. Local dealers can be legit without being on that page but you're not supposed to ship across the country either. I'm actually one of them, I'd sell something to you if I could but I can't ship into other dealer's territories.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Dealer/Pages/Authorized_OnlineDealers.aspx

Based on the comments, I am planning to go with SR7008 frome A4L. They have it for $899 and $60 for 3 years of warranty from New Leaf service pro.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7008/marantz-sr7008-9.2-network-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html#!warranties

Does anyone have any experience with their extended service plans? Are they any good? 

From Scrappy-how can you give any kind of differences when they were playing through two different speakers. I can tell you right now a b&w is much more of a neutral sounding speaker than a def tech. Do hearing different speakers on different avrs makes it kind of a wash for a comparison don't you think? 

That was the point I was trying to make, but maybe didn't explain better. The point I wanted to mean to say was that those stores seem to match Marantz with B&W and not the other speakers and seem to match the Yamaha with other speakers.If you would have quoted the whole thing I stated you would have seen I asked for them to hook the speakers up to the same receivers and they didn't. And my point was that I hear different sound qualities on each receiver, and that I also could not say whether a Marantz blows away a Yamaha, especially when they aren't comparable. A 7008 and a 1040 are 2 totally different animals. That is why I asked where Ibiza listened to them. Totally different spectrums with everything. If they were matched on comparable set ups and comparable receivers,that's a different story. And ultimately sound preference to ones own ears.That is why I also asked OP what HIS MUSICAL PREFENCE IS.

And my statements on sound quality come from my own 3 receivers using the same receivers on 3 different sets of speakers in 3 separate rooms, so I do hear what I'm saying for each receiver. 

At the same time, I am by no means nearly as educated as most on this forum are when it comes down to the science and specs side, but I do have the same amount of ears as everyone else, and do know the differences in what I  can hear. And I am also in the same boat as most said with recommending the same receiver based on what I heard with it and what I have at home.

Edited by Jim

Trust me, keep the SC-65 unless you need Atmos or something. I left the SC series and have been trying to get back to that sound/power ever since.

I really want to try a Marantz and I might but you already have a very fine receiver.