Port location for Belles with bass reflex

Stevenarrow

• 1 month later...

Any updates?.

Mine are getting there. Just need to route out the baffles. The entire saga is documented at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/268959-zobsky-contemplates-variation-belle-klipsch.html .

Here's a picture of one of my BelleZillas (with adjustable rear reflex ports) . Note the oversized (and yet unbraced) top chamber that will receive the 18sound XT1464 constant directivity waveguide (  http://www.eighteensound.it/PRODUCTS/Products/ProdID=180 )

Kb

Edited by zobsky

Any updates?.

Mine are getting there. Just need to route out the baffles. The entire saga is documented at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/268959-zobsky-contemplates-variation-belle-klipsch.html .

Here's a picture of one of my BelleZillas (with adjustable rear reflex ports) . Note the oversized (and yet unbraced) top chamber that will receive the 18sound XT1464 constant directivity waveguide (  http://www.eighteensound.it/PRODUCTS/Products/ProdID=180 )

Those Belles look great. You are really going to notice how increasing the thickness of the outer baffles and the horn brace improve the quality of the bass. It is a must for all clone builds, In my limited. I still can't believe how much the side wall moves on unbraced La Scalas.

My Jubelles are sounding wonderful. I have kinda put the reflex cab on hold: honestly I am happy with the low-end I am getting in my space for the time being. (I live in a 600 sq ft wood frame apartment: the roll off at 45Hz means I can listen loud and not get complaints...). And, I like that it is all horn/sealed bass. I am also keeping an eye out for a pair of 402 lenses to try. So, I'm in no rush to put everything in a box and call them 'finished'. I believe I will build a 5-6" hollow riser in the near future and allow the doghouse to vent into that chamber; adding an extra 40 litres of volume may be a nice subtle boost... I need a proper riser anyways.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have the option to seal off the bass horn back chamber in case the additional low frequency extension is unnecessary or I decide to implement a dedicated sub

post-60878-0-00980000-1433530770_thumb.j

Edited by zobsky

Thanks. I have the option to seal off the bass horn back chamber in case the additional low frequency extension is unnecessary or I decide to implement a dedicated sub

Good call. It's nice to have options. Part of my issue as well, was not building the initial Belle horn with an open top: I would have to flip mine over.

Also wondering what an aperiodic vent would do. I've always liked that 'sound'... oh well, maybe another time.

Good call. It's nice to have options. Part of my issue as well, was not building the initial Belle horn with an open top: I would have to flip mine over.

Also wondering what an aperiodic vent would do. I've always liked that 'sound'... oh well, maybe another time.

Yeah. My strategy is to make the baffle for the top enclosure removable / replaceable in order to be able to try a variety of configurations (CD horn, tractrix horn, slot loaded midrange cone drivers, synergy etc ). It's certainly large enough ... for better or worse. I'm toying with the idea of using styrofoam blocks in case I need to reduce the internal volume of the total rear chamber volume. Bigger is not always better, in this case

Very cool.  I look forward to seeing more of this.

As I've said before, I would do the totally reversible bass reflex mod to any La Scalas I own.  It's good that you have made yours reversible.  If you add a sub, you might prefer the Belle Zillas without the reflex mod, or you might want to utilize it. 

Edited by DizRotus

As I've said before, I would do the totally reversible bass reflex mod to any La Scalas I own.  It's good that you have made yours reversible.  If you add a sub, you might prefer the Bell Zillas without the reflex mod, or you might want to utilize it. 

Damn it... Now you've got me thinking about it again. 

As I've said before, I would do the totally reversible bass reflex mod to any La Scalas I own.  It's good that you have made yours reversible.  If you add a sub, you might prefer the Bell Zillas without the reflex mod, or you might want to utilize it. 

Damn it... Now you've got me thinking about it again. 

Don't misunderstand.  I'd do it and try it without a sub.  Later, if you try a sub, first try it with the bass reflex mod still functioning, and then try it w/o.

As I've said before, I would do the totally reversible bass reflex mod to any La Scalas I own.  It's good that you have made yours reversible.  If you add a sub, you might prefer the Belle Zillas without the reflex mod, or you might want to utilize it. 

Hi DizRotus,

I'm assuming you run ported lascalas . 

If so, 

1. What woofers do you use?

2. Do you further augument them with a sub?

- If so, what frequency do you x-over to the sub ?

- If not,

-- a. what frequency do you tune the ports for. I can tune mine anywhere 45 Hz and below. 40 Hz seems to be the sweet spot for most folks who have tried the mod.

-- b. do you feel the need for a sub at all? It would be awesome if I can get away with a TRUE 2 way FULL RANGE system (30 Hz to 15 KHz more or less , practically speaking) 

Thanks

I do not currently have La Scalas. I refurbished a tired pair of bar speakers for use by the local high school band in their practice room. See following thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/62250-four-abused-lascalas-need-a-good-home-sold/

My experience with the bass reflex mod is in: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/72504-ported-la-scalas-photos-and-review/

The answers to your questions are:

1. Crites stamped;

2. no;

-- a. 40 Hz; and

-- b. Not in their current use, but Yes for home 2-channel or HT.

Having experienced the clean bass power of 4 tapped horn subs, I would use at least 3 to augment the bass of La Scalas or Klipschorns. I would cross to the subs at 80Hz or below, to perhaps 50Hz, depending on SQ.

In your situation I would listen with the bass reflex mod for quite some time before including a sub. Whether the bass reflex mod and sub(s) coexist would be a matter of taste.

post-6832-0-06580000-1433813209_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-45660000-1433813891_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus