Klipsch La Scala II or Cornwall III

I live in Irvine CA and I am thinking about buying either La Scala II or Cornwalls III. Though I have not personally heard the the La Scala's, things I have read on posts makes me think I might like the combanation of La Scala's with a subwoofer better even then Cornwalls.   

Are there any local La Scala owners that would be willing to open up their home and let me come listen? Hopefully on a Tube Amp. I'll bring a good bottle of wine as a "thank you"

Thanks,

Mike Kingsbury

Irvine CA

• Like 1

Hi & Welcome.

My 2 cents is LaScala with Sub (if you have the space) over the Cornwall.

Keep it horn loaded & keep the distortion to a minimum.  Remember, "if it moves, it distorts" which means the place of the most distortion is in the bottom end.  Therefore the lower you go, the more you can benefit from horn loading (at the expense of size)

• Like 3

couple things come to mind

#1 - 7 grand or 4 grand

#2 - depth of cabinet is 24" for the lascala and 18" for the cornwall

pluses - both come with beautiful Cherry or Walnut veneer   Black if you like also

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

I would agree with Richard that a LaScala with a vent riser or a sub is the better way to go. That said I would suggest that if you decide to go Cornwall then skip the CW3 and buy a CWll and upgrade the diaphragms to ti where possible. The mid horn in the H3 is not up to the K600/k601 of the CW2. Bigger is better smaller is not. You should also talk to Bob Crites about his Cornscala D type which is a two way. That would be my first choice in a Cornwall and should wipe the floor with a CW3. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala-style-d.html

• Like 3

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Forum!!

Between the two of your choices, I definitely agree with your thoughts on LaScala IIs, but......

If you have the room. and can afford new LaScala II's, have you considered Klipsch Jubilees?

The Jubilees clearly sound better, and a forum member hear was offering up his 4 LaScala IIs at a substancial loss as he wants to upgrade to the Jubilees for the improvement in sound. Jubilees can be bought new for the same money as LaScala IIs and if you buy new, you can upgrade them to have a veneer beuty panel of wood on the front.

There is a list kept here of the Jubilee owners and an audition of them could probably be set up for you if you are willing to make the trip.

The above poster Coytee has both LaScalas and Jubilees, but he lives in Tenn. I am sure Coytee would be more than happy to tell you about Jubilees and help you out in meeting an owner closer to you.

Roger

• Like 3

You can say that again...

and welcome to the forums. i had some original LS and felt they pretty much kick the Corns to the curb. Due to finances, i had to sell them. I'm not listening to music nearly as much with Heresy IIs and JBLs.

Bruce

If you're not going to use a sub, know that the Cornwall will go lower than the La Scala, but the La Scala will sound cleaner and clearer above about 60 Hz.  If you are going to use a sub with a crossover at about 60 to 80 Hz, then it's the La Scala hands down!

The Cornwall 3 is a great performer in its own right but if you have the room LaScala II's with a horn loaded subwoofer crossed over around 100 Hz (right near the point where the bass bin is no longer horn loaded) would be the best option of the two.

If you have the room a set of Jubilee's would be another great pick.

If you're not going to use a sub, know that the Cornwall will go lower than the La Scala, but the La Scala will sound cleaner and clearer above about 60 Hz.  If you are going to use a sub with a crossover at about 60 to 80 Hz, then it's the La Scala hands down!

For sure.  The CW III was a great disappointment to nearly everyone, mostly because of the weak Heresy high end.  The person responsible was warned about this.

In remarkable contrast, the La Scala II is a terrific speaker, better than any predecessor IMO.  A pity that it's missing much of the lowest half of the bottom octave.

Even the earlier he Corns were standouts in reproducing jazz and movies, because of the deep, powerful bass and fine upper midrange, whereas the La's were and are musically outstanding down to its limited lowest bass.  The LS II is a quantum step up in overall treble-bass linearity and smoothness IMO.

Edited by LarryC

• 4 years later...

i have heresyiii for only few weeks w/sub , but it doesn’t compare  after listening to LaScalas ,hands dwn La ScalaII ,,call ryan st audio classics hell of a deal shipped to you my friend .takecare ,,,ret  oc fireman !!

15 hours ago, jerrylee27 said:

also where do you find jubilees i looked on klipsch site but couldnt find them 

They don't get talked about very often.... :huh:

You could probably do a google search, find comments, do a search on the FORUM and find comments....

I've never owned Cornwalls.  I've owned LaScalas since buying them new in 1979.  I bought a pair of Jubilee's and they relegated the LaScalas to rear-channel duty.