Who has the best rack?

eth2

i've only got a few small components, so it would look stupid to have a chest high rack in my space. instead, I'm planning to build a "flexy plinth" in the spirit of these: http://bit.ly/1BjTJC7

..with threaded rods through each corner a la flexy rack. the finish will probably just be a super fine sand job and tung oil.

it'll be 4ft wide, 18" deep, and 12" high

• Like 1

I have a VTI, it is pretty heavy duty, don't see it on their website anymore.  Glass and metal and I made 1.5" Mahogony tops for the TTs. 

If you want to spend $100, Craigslist is your only real option and then plan on spending more.

Oh yea, I like a flat stomach and tight butt, which always comes with a small rack. :wub:   YMMV. 

I have a VTI, it is pretty heavy duty, don't see it on their website anymore.  Glass and metal and I made 1.5" Mahogony tops for the TTs. 

If you want to spend $100, Craigslist is your only real option and then plan on spending more.

Oh yea, I like a flat stomach and tight butt, which always comes with a small rack. :wub:   YMMV. 

:o  :o

I tried to order this at maple shades:

Jacqueline Bisset.  Remember "The Deep"? :) 

You old farts...

These days it's Katy Perry

Anyway, is it possible to get a decent glass rack for less than $100? Or should I just be looking on craigslist?

Yes, but think of Jacqueline Bisset as a 1977 "Heritage" rack.  Then we can all appreciate the build and craftsmanship involved.

• Like 1

What makes it a good rack? Brand? Price? Number of bays? Isolation? Pictures?

Like most things in audio there are many levels. From racks/shelves found at places like Walmart and Target to nicer ones found online from sites like Wayfair.com and standsandmounts.com, you have a lot of options. Then you have dedicated high end manufacturers like Solid Tech, Sistrum, PARTicular and more at what I'll call serious money. With builds using wood, steel, glass and combinations, it is part personal preference and budget. You get to decide what works best for you.

I tried to order this at maple shades:

Jacqueline Bisset.  Remember "The Deep"? :) 

You old farts...

These days it's Katy Perry

Anyway, is it possible to get a decent glass rack for less than $100? Or should I just be looking on craigslist?

Yes, but think of Jacqueline Bisset as a 1977 "Heritage" rack.  Then we can all appreciate the build and craftsmanship involved.

Ah, "Heritage Rack", that's a good one....Another would be Jamie Lee Curtis in "Trading Places"....doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 1

Nice looking rack Earl,  as a side you could do what i did and hit a local granite shop and see if they have any cut outs and have them drill holes in the 4 corners then hit lowes or depot and buy 3/4" all thread and nuts and washers  It makes for one hell of a heavy sturdy rack, I sold mine long ago but they were very adjustable and dead as far as vibrations go.........................another bonus is you get to taylor the shelf color to your decor / taste,  There are other ways to implement this shelf build that make it easier and prettier if you decide to DIY let me know and I will shoot you further info on how to do it

Is granite as "dead" as a maple platform?  My brother is a very skilled cabinet maker, and I'm thinking of asking him to make a maple platform for my turntable, however, I also have a very local source for granite, so am wondering what the comparison would be?