KG 4.5 value? Paired with vintage Onkyo TX-4500?

lbb020

I'm in the market for Klipsch speakers and I came across a pair of KG 4.5 for $300 on CL that are in excellent condition. The guy is pretty firm on the asking price, and it seems like quite a bit more than others have paid for the same speakers lately. That being said, is $300 still a fair price (assuming they're truly in excellent condition)? Especially compared to buying new speakers, it seems like it's still a very good deal.

I'm looking to power these with a vintage Onkyo TX-4500. I've read up a little bit on the KG 4.5's and it seems like the receiver/amp is important in order to not have treble issues.My dad bought the Onkyo TX-4500 new in the 70's along with Klipsch Heresy's, and the sound quality was incredible. Based on this, I'd think the TX-4500 will do just fine with the KG 4.5's. Thoughts? 

Ibb020,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't say much about the 4.5's or if $300.00 is a fair price.

My dad bought the Onkyo TX-4500 new in the 70's along with Klipsch Heresy's, and the sound quality was incredible.

I can tell you this, trust your dad and yourself and get a pair of Heresy's. ;)  :D

Good luck.

Bill

I would certainly prefer a pair of Heresy speakers over the 4.5s, but I haven't seen them anywhere near $400-500 (not recently), seems like the mean price on eBay is closer to $1000 and that's a bit out of my price range.

Any other suggestions to buy besides craigslist and eBay?

I've seen heresy's from anywhere between $400.00-600.00 on ebay. There is a new member on here who is selling a set for $250.00 but they will need the original 12' drivers as he has different ones in there now.

You can put out a WTB (want to buy) on the Klipsch Garage Sale forum and state what you are able to spend.  There might be a forum member who lives close who can fix you up with a set.

Edited by wvu80

You can put out a WTB (want to buy) on the Klipsch Garage Sale forum and state what you are able to spend.  There might be a forum member who lives close who can fix you up with a set.

Give us your location(general location at least) so we can better alert you to deals in or around your area.

Bill 

I'm thinking a pair of Heresy's could be had for the $400-450 range unless you are lucky as heck. I drove a couple hundred miles to get a pair for $350. That was $50 in gas and a day of my life.

Heresy's are completely different sounding than KG's. They are brighter and cleaner. The KG is more mellow. I prefer the Heresy and a sub.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a mint pair of KG 4.5, not that they are bad speakers but that seems to be the real going rate. In addition to Heresy, you can find Fortes in the $400-500 range (or less).

Be patient, I find that there is nothing out there for a couple of months and then suddenly several appear.

• Like 1

Actual sales of KG 4.5s and 4.2s are in the $200 plus shipping range.  Which I believe is an excellent value.  They perform as good as speakers costing new in the $1,000-$1,500 range today.  Plus, they have real wood veneer.  I would see if you could negotiate him down a little, but even at $300 you are getting a heckuva pair of speakers.