Which sub woofer will complement a RB-41 II?

carstenj

Hello,

I ideally wanted the RF-62 II, but the WAF factor is against me on those ones, hence I am thinking to use the RB-41 II and a sub woofer. I will mainly use the set for music and drive the system with a NAD C 320 BEE.

Can anyone point to a decent sub woofer?

Sincerely

Carsten

My idea is to use the RBs as main speakers and the sub as low frequency support, I have not chosen anything yet, so I guess all of them are under consideration as long as my amplifier can drive them without over loading them.

My room is some 345 ft2 and I would like to stay under $ 500 for the sub. One last thing; The connection scheme favors subs, which can take high level inputs, so basically the speakers outputs from the amplifier, a pre-out is not readily available......

Thanks

They have those SVS subs in sealed and ported, they are the SB-1000 and PB-1000. The difference is in how low they can go in frequency and the physical size. They are both tiny, but have good output. The sealed SB can go to 24Hz, and the PB can go to 19Hz. Both have high level inputs. The SB is 13" (H) x 13" (W) x 13"(D), and the PB is 18.4" (H) x 15" (W) x 18.4"(D). The prices are $500 for either.

Germany? Didn't know you were way over there.... I should pay better attention...

There is a trend in speaker design for wife friendly, so companies like Paradigm and SVS are making small powerful subs with a high wife acceptance factor. I haven't heard these little SVS's but the Paradigm Monitor 8 Sub is nuts for it's tiny size! It's $825 retail, so I did not recommend it (they are made in Canada). 

Sorry I can't be more help. Aren't there manufacturers in Germany for subs? Some of the best made things on the planet come from there. I would say get a Klipsch sub, but there is only one I've heard good things about, and its too much sub for those speakers. The R-115SW which retails for $899.

Your initial idea to use the RF-62 II was the correct one, especially for music.

Tell your wife that you checked, and everyone in America is on your side.  :)

+++

My son is in Kaiserslautern, at the Ramstein Air Force base.  He just spent New Years Eve in Prague.  There is a German sandwich he likes, but I can't remember the name of it.

The RB-41 II is a good choice for a smaller pair of bookshelf speakers but lacks in low end so a good sub is almost essential for great music reproduction.

What to look for in a subwoofer is something that sounds good in the higher frequencies (50-100 Hz) and does not get sloppy and/or muddy, the small woofer in the 41's should be crossed over at a higher frequency as the little woofers of the 41's will struggle down low. Your sub will benefit by being placed between the mains as bass notes becomes easier to tell where they are coming with the higher crossover setting.

My advise is to go spend some time at some stereo outlets and audition subs that blend nicely with your choice of main speakers or something very similar, most people only worry about specs and getting the lowest notes possible but i feel the transition from mains to sub is much more important.

If you have to get bookshelves do yourself a huge favor and get the RB-61ii's. They are much better speakers. Larger horn will equal a larger sound. Bigger woofer will get you to cross lower so subwoofer choice can be a bit easier. As well as front ported so they can be placed closer to the wall and not be such an eye sore 18 inches out in the middle of the room.

Gentlemen,

Thank You; Looking at what I have now, the Rf 62 IIs come at just above 800 $ / pair. Taking the advise to go with the RB 61 IIs, which come at 450 $ / pair, leave me with 350 $ for the sub unless I go over budget. This means that sticking with the RF 62 IIs is likely to be the better deal.

Speaking about German speakers, they are good, they do everything correctly, but they just don't make you happy the way I believe the Klipsch speakers would.

Thanks again; I guess I have some convincing to do, so that I can get me a pair of 62s, wish me luck :-)

Sincerely

The RF-62's are a great speaker. Get them and add a quality subwoofer as your budget allows. If you skimp on the different components, you will end up spending way more than just doing it right the first time. Ask many of how I know..

Edited by K5SS

• 1 month later...