Any market for stock Cornwal III crossovers?

Tutor Turtle

I bought new crossovers from ALK Engineering.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the stock crossovers from a C3?

They're in like-new condition.

They were use three or four year before I switched them out?

I can't see any reason why they couldn't be used in a C1 or C2.

• Like 1

these are not suitable for a CW or a CWll the crossover frequency of the CW3 network is too high, it has been designed for a K701 horn(as used in the Heresy)and not the larger and lower frequency K600/K601 horns used the the prior Cornwall designs. These networks are only suitable if someone wanted to build a Cornwall 3. I cannot imagine anyone building up a Cornwall from scratch and using a K701 mid horn as that is a definite downgrade from the K601. These days people are opting for larger and better horns than the K601 not smaller horns. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Would they work in HII?

the crossover points are not all that different from some of the Heresy offerings. They would be a great option for some one who wants to go all ti diaphragms in their Heresy ll (NOT Heresy) only Heresy with K79 tweeters. Good catch Sancho. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Welcome to -

thanks Sancho  -

while Heresy 1 and 2 use  8ohms woofers - cornwall 1-2-3 as well as lascala-belle-khorn and Heresy 3 carry 4ohms woofers  - the difference is a more responsive woofer that delivers more bass -

I c

these are not suitable for a CW or a CWll the crossover frequency of the CW3 network is too high, it has been designed for a K701 horn(as used in the Heresy)and not the larger and lower frequency K600/K601 horns used the the prior Cornwall designs. These networks are only suitable if someone wanted to build a Cornwall 3. I cannot imagine anyone building up a Cornwall from scratch and using a K701 mid horn as that is a definite downgrade from the K601. These days people are opting for larger and better horns than the K601 not smaller horns. Best regards Moray James.

hi morey - why did klipsch switch to the k701 Versus a k601 in the CW3 - does the K701 have any advantages sound wise and has the use of the k701 improve the sound in the  CW3 versus the CW2 - or is it the same overall -  if I am not wrong the CW3 shares the mids and tweeters of the H3 -

The mold for the K-601/K-600 was lost or destroyed.

that seems odd with all of the Klipsch artifacts still in possession by the company (a small portion of which was shown at CES this year).

It's also odd that they couldn't take an existing horn and reverse mold it if they wanted to.

hi morey - why did klipsch switch to the k701 Versus a k601 in the CW3 - does the K701 have any advantages sound wise and has the use of the k701 improve the sound in the  CW3 versus the CW2 - or is it the same overall -  if I am not wrong the CW3 shares the mids and tweeters of the H3 -

[/quote

I guess the simple answer is that Klipsch did not believe that they could justify the cost of a new mold for a K601, in other words they would not get their investment back. Is the K701 a good replacement for a K601? No it is a poor but workable substitute in my view. The H3 uses the same drivers for the horns as are used in the H2 only the diaphragms have been upgraded to Titanium. if you truly want an improved Cornwall look to Bob Crites and in my view especially his D Type Cornscala. Best regards Moray James.

I would not consider a titanium diaphragm an upgrade more like a change in overall tonality.  Phenolic diaphrams are far smoother over the frequency spectrum, titanium can be harsh and edgy at certain frequencies.  It is more a matter of taste than an upgrade. 

I would not consider a titanium diaphragm an upgrade more like a change in overall tonality.  Phenolic diaphrams are far smoother over the frequency spectrum, titanium can be harsh and edgy at certain frequencies.  It is more a matter of taste than an upgrade.

the sound of the metal diaphragms is definitely different from the Phenolic and some prefer one over the other. I can say that in all the Klipsch which I have installed Titanium diaphragms I can play at much higher levels than I could with the Phenolic diaphragms but please note that all my compression drivers are modified.

If you find yourself in the Phenolic camp the Crites CT125 is a superb sounding (tweeter) driver which is Phenolic. I like it every bit as much as the Titanium diaphragms. Further Bob's Phenolic mid diaphragm is to me superior sounding to the stock Klipsch mid range diaphragm. I hope this is of interest to those who enjoy the phenolic sound. Best regards Moray James.

Most people replace a 15 year old or older phenolic diaphragm with a titanium one marvel at the difference.  That said you are comparing an old tired diaphragm with a new one of a different material.  Of course it is going to sound better!  It would sound better if you replaced it with a new phenolic one as well.  I did not like the tonality of the CT-125 tweeter the speakers lost that Klipsch sound in the upper registers (confirmed by other forum members as well).  While they may extend further into the upper ranges it seemed to me output was diminished.  Returned to the K-77M's and have been pleased ever since. 

Never cared for titanium tweeters even back to the days I competed in sanctioned IASCA car audio sound quality events.  MB Quart used them in their component sets and they were harsh.  As I stated before it is a listener's preference.  To me they sound rigid and tinny like whacking a tin sheet with a stick.  Being able to push them harder does not mean they sound better. :)  When I competed in car audio Polk Audio had a titanium/phenolic hybrid the MM3000 the diaphragm was pliable with elements of titanium mixed in and those sounded outstanding.  Shame they don't make those anymore.  A/D/S speakers (prior to being bought out by DEI) had some of the best sounding phenolic dome tweeters ever.

the sound of the metal diaphragms is definitely different from the Phenolic and some prefer one over the other. I can say that in all the Klipsch which I have installed Titanium diaphragms I can play at much higher levels than I could with the Phenolic diaphragms but please note that all my compression drivers are modified.

If you find yourself in the Phenolic camp the Crites CT125 is a superb sounding (tweeter) driver which is Phenolic. I like it every bit as much as the Titanium diaphragms. Further Bob's Phenolic mid diaphragm is to me superior sounding to the stock Klipsch mid range diaphragm. I hope this is of interest to those who enjoy the phenolic sound. Best regards Moray James.

hi morey - your input as far as the  CT 125 in that it is a quality tweeter is interesting as the Ct125 is the eminence apt 50  -30$  the diaphragms cost 15$ - so a relatively cheap Iitem like the selenium super tweeters - the beymas cp21 etc - they are mostly used in car audio but still , they are appreciated by klipsch fans who wish to replace the T35 -k77 which are obsolete -

is it the horn design that Bob Crites makes with plastic that is the trick  that improves the sound - tx

Most people replace a 15 year old or older phenolic diaphragm with a titanium one marvel at the difference.  That said you are comparing an old tired diaphragm with a new one of a different material.  Of course it is going to sound better!  It would sound better if you replaced it with a new phenolic one as well.  I did not like the tonality of the CT-125 tweeter the speakers lost that Klipsch sound in the upper registers (confirmed by other forum members as well).  While they may extend further into the upper ranges it seemed to me output was diminished.  Returned to the K-77M's and have been pleased ever since. 

Never cared for titanium tweeters even back to the days I competed in sanctioned IASCA car audio sound quality events.  MB Quart used them in their component sets and they were harsh.  As I stated before it is a listener's preference.  To me they sound rigid and tinny like whacking a tin sheet with a stick.  Being able to push them harder does not mean they sound better. :)  When I competed in car audio Polk Audio had a titanium/phenolic hybrid the MM3000 the diaphragm was pliable with elements of titanium mixed in and those sounded outstanding.  Shame they don't make those anymore.  A/D/S speakers (prior to being bought out by DEI) had some of the best sounding phenolic dome tweeters ever.

here is a thread about the T35 -k55 and the ct125  by http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10252-ElectroVoice-T35-anyone-familiar-with-them/page4

08-19-2009, 06:40 PM #53
Senior Member Join Date Jul 2003 Location missouri galaxy Posts 1,345

Widget,,When i was young and in my prime... And talking to Paul Klipsch,, The supply of T35 s coming from Electro voice,,, Each was measured for a match to a close tolerence for the Khorns in a stereo pair,,, 30 percent were returned to EV,,as not meeting pauls tests & requirements,, George ashworth,, The scientist helping paul in the early problems of woofer complience,, was trying to get Paul to find a different source of tweeters,,, Paul stated he was getting them so cheap it was worth his time to test them all and return the rest. Later Paul bought the dies and machinery from EV,, Later all this was moved to the Pacific Rim,, Phenaulic diaphrams/voice coils were manufactured with sloppy tolerence in thickness and weight.. Frequency responce was all over the place,,, I have here diaphrams (12) no two match... Over the last three years they have gotten better. I,m sure you found some good T35s,,So did I,, But Bob Crites found the Emmenence APT-50 to be a better tweeter,, and had a copy of the EV T35 tweeter horn made to integrate to the HF driver,,, and now,, the super tweeter is good to 20K.
Vlad

HI MOREY - I thought you would have liked to read this thread

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10252-ElectroVoice-T35-anyone-familiar-with-them/page4

here is a thread about the T35 -k55 and the ct125  by http://www.audioheri...with-them/page4

08-19-2009, 06:40 PM #53
Senior Member Join Date Jul 2003 Location missouri galaxy Posts 1,345

Widget,,When i was young and in my prime... And talking to Paul Klipsch,, The supply of T35 s coming from Electro voice,,, Each was measured for a match to a close tolerence for the Khorns in a stereo pair,,, 30 percent were returned to EV,,as not meeting pauls tests & requirements,, George ashworth,, The scientist helping paul in the early problems of woofer complience,, was trying to get Paul to find a different source of tweeters,,, Paul stated he was getting them so cheap it was worth his time to test them all and return the rest. Later Paul bought the dies and machinery from EV,, Later all this was moved to the Pacific Rim,, Phenaulic diaphrams/voice coils were manufactured with sloppy tolerence in thickness and weight.. Frequency responce was all over the place,,, I have here diaphrams (12) no two match... Over the last three years they have gotten better. I,m sure you found some good T35s,,So did I,, But Bob Crites found the Emmenence APT-50 to be a better tweeter,, and had a copy of the EV T35 tweeter horn made to integrate to the HF driver,,, and now,, the super tweeter is good to 20K.

Vlad