Heritage Line Listening

Jim

After doing some thinking on tube amps and potentials to purchase for my 2 channel set up, I'd like to look into purchasing something in the Heritage line. The problem though for me where I am, is there aren't any audio stores that have them available to preview. The stores I call don't carry them. I'm most likely going to purchase used if I do go this route, and may just incorporate them into HT and music.

Is anyone here in my area willing to open up there home for me to listen to their set ups? I know it's a lot to ask,especially when the person is unknown. I will provide food and drink AND you can laugh openly at how little I do know. 

Or if you can steer me to a store that does have them on hand that would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Jim, what kind of music do you listen to, mostly?  What's your listening environment, room size, furniture, etc?  These things make a difference.  Let us know more about your tastes in music and other important factors, and it will be easier for us to help.  Anyone recommending you simply buy a set before listening or considering other factors is bunk, or maybe they are just joking, not sure.

Jim,

They will be going into my family room where I have it set up as a 9.2. The room is 14x24 with a 7 foot wide fireplace in the middle of the wall. There is a couch and loveseat and both are oversized. The acoustics are as follows- carpeting on the floor, wood paneling on walls, acoustic ceiling tiles and 5 windows in the room that have metal blinds and curtains. 

I'm all over with music interests from 40's up to some of today's, with the bulk being more to the rock side. I listen to groups at this point anyways like Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Linkin Park, Trance, Freestyle, Oldies, Spanish, U2, The Cure..........you get the drift,it's very wide.

I have the ICON Line (KF-28's,KS-14,KB-15,SC-20)now, but will most likely get rid of them as I delve into the Heritage stuff if I like them as much as I think I will. I'm more bass oriented,although I do like a very crisp and clear sound with highs and mids. 

Right now the set up in the family room has 2 10" subs which I was contemplating getting larger down the line. If I do decide to do Heritage and also decide to use them for HT,I want to be able get a close match on the center, the surrounds I'm not as worried about. I think my issue is going to be the width in the room as I am only left with 3.5 feet-4 feet on each side and have my rack and cd case to contend with. I have over 1400 cd's but will be able to move them once I'm finished uploading them to a hard drive. So if I did keep the ICON's I have to then use the fireplace area,which will then give me a very narrow sound field of about 3 feet for the speakers to be apart, which is not good. The other option if I only did the 2 channel set up is to move the cd's and the rack to the side wall and have the other speakers on teh outside of the ICON's which will be approx 2 feet,so they will be close to the side walls.

• Like 1

Well, I buy USED, sometimes without listening...but, I think the OP intends to buy NEW?

No used. If I was familiar with the sound of them,I'd buy in a second without hesitation. 

Edited by Jim
  • Like 2

Hey Jim, I am in Md but you are about 3 hrs away. If did want to make the trek I do have a few of the Heritage line you could check out. Look at my profile and you can see what I have. We could mix and match some amps around or if you have a amp or two bring them ya. We could make a day of it.....let me know .....

Mark :-)

• Like 1

I just watched "How It's Made" and they showed the Mcintosh 275 amp being made.

Also, me asking for a store would be to listen to what they have available to get an idea of sound quality, then I'd purchase used.

Hey Jim, I am in Md but you are about 3 hrs away. If did want to make the trek I do have a few of the Heritage line you could check out. Look at my profile and you can see what I have. We could mix and match some amps around or if you have a amp or two bring them ya. We could make a day of it.....let me know .....
Mark :-)

I will definitely let you know. I'm open to a little travel. I can always bring the wife and youngest kid and go to the aquarium.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I'm not too far away, Brooklyn NY, a couple of miles east of the Verrazzano Bridge. Back in the day, I went to Devry Tech in Woodbridge.

I have 2 systems running Heritage, Klipschorns and Cornwalls in Bath Beach and another system running Heresy's in Bay Ridge.

Your welcome to check them out.

Joe

• Like 3

Hey Jim, reading your post on what music you like and you like the bass. I will make a bet........when all said and done you will have the Chorus line in your house.

I can tell you this, when it comes to bass the ChorusII is the one you need to check out. That speaker is great for rock music and the old "big band" stuff sounds great. I play my ChorusII's more than any other speaker I own......well at the house......the shop is a different story.

Well hey that's just another two cents for ya......good luck

Keep us posted.....Mark

I agree with More Klipsch Please. The Chorus 2 is a great choice. Very versitile, and provides unbelievable power when needed. Of course, to get that great bass, you'll need to place them accordingly.

I would also suggest the Forte 2's. They have even deeper bass than the C2's. However, the C2's will fill up a much larger room, and also, in my opinion, have a wider soundstage than the Forte 2. Do to its larger cabinates and woofer.

At the end of the day, what matters is your ears. My opinion is subjective to my own tastes.

Good luck to you, sir.

• Like 1

Jim, As far as Heritage goes, there are Klipschorns, and then there is everything else!

Unfortanately for you, Klipschorns really shine on a 20 to 24 foot wall.

If you want to make a trip to Ohio, I can easily set up a listening experience in a smaller room with 5.1 with Klipschorns and LaScalas, and a second location with Klipschorns on a 24 foot wall in a room that is 32 foot deep so you can hear the difference for yourself.

In a room closer to your size, I don't mind recommending Forte' IIs at all, but they will for sure need proper corner placement, pulled out from the corners because of their rear firing "Drone Cone" / Passive Radiator!

You can also contact fellow forum member DTEL in case he doesn't read this thread, as he has an all Forte" surround sound system. :P 

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Hi Jim,

I'm not too far away, Brooklyn NY, a couple of miles east of the Verrazzano Bridge. Back in the day, I went to Devry Tech in Woodbridge.

I have 2 systems running Heritage, Klipschorns and Cornwalls in Bath Beach and another system running Heresy's in Bay Ridge.

Your welcome to check them out.

Joe

Joe, Sounds good also, it's up to you on scheduling as I am self employed, so I can make arrangements easier than some. As long as I don't get killed with traffic it's not a bad drive.

Jim, As far as Heritage goes, there are Klipschorns, and then there is everything else!

Unfortanately for you, Klipschorns really shine on a 20 to 24 foot wall.

If you want to make a trip to Ohio, I can easily set up a listening experience in a smaller room with 5.1 with Klipschorns and LaScalas, and a second location with Klipschorns on a 24 foot wall in a room that is 32 foot deep so you can hear the difference for yourself.

In a room closer to your size, I don't mind recommending Forte' IIs at all, but they will for sure need proper corner placement, pulled out from the corners because of their rear firing "Drone Cone" / Passive Radiator!

You can also contact fellow forum member DTEL in case he doesn't read this thread, as he has an all Forte" surround sound system. :P 

Roger

Roger,

My sister lives in Newark, and my other family is in Columbus. If I'm out that way, I will definitely look you up. I'm sure though even if I had them in the family room they wouldn't have the room to breath width wise. 

As for the Forte,I'm a little familiar with having to have the speakers off the wall as I have RF's in my living room,albeit they aren't Forte, but they also need the room behind them.